CRUISE CONTROL and IGNITION PROBLEM

gr8xr7

My keys to my vehicles were stolen so I had all my ignition cylinders changed and re-keyed. Now occasionally the truck doesn't start, I have to turn the key on and off several times then it works. I had a new starter put in before the theft, so it is not the starter. The cruise then started to work intermittantly, then pretty much stopped. Here is where it gets interesting. If I turn the wheel clockwise to around 5-6 O'clock, the cruise comes on every time. Is it possible that when the dealer put in the new ignition cylinder they routed the wires wrong and they are opening the connecter on one side?

Since the cruise and headlight switch are in the same stalk and that the wires are routed funny around the column I would suspect that they were routed in a different way or maybe that a wire was pinched on re-installation. Since just a #2 phillips will get all of the panels off I suggest you take a look and see if anything is amiss under there. A pinched wire is obvious, maybe a light tug on the ignition wires to ensure that they are well attached? Other than that I cannot help... maybe someone else can??

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

He has a 95, so the cruise control is on the steering wheel. I'm betting your problem is the contact ring, you can take the wheel off and clean the contacts, that worked on my old pathy. But some people end up having to make spacers for theirs.

For the starter I would check the connections at the battery, the starter, and check the ignition switch. If nothing else, then I would say you got a crappy reman starter. Happens a lot.

I would agree and say it is a problem with the contact ring on the back of the steering wheel, My 94 was like that where the cruise and horn would only work when the wheel was in certain positions.

When you say it doesn't always start what exactly is it doing or not doing? Does it crank but not start? Not crank over at all? Make clicking noises?

Thanks guys. I'll take the wheel off and clean the contacts and rings. As to the starting, it doesn't always happen but I turn the key to start and nothing, (the lights come on and everything, but nothing,,,no clicking, nothing). If I turn the key back to off then start a few times, it works.

For the starting problem I would pull the steering column covers and make sure the electrical part of the ignition switch is attached properly to the lock cylinder part,

This is from my sentra but it should look similar, the electrical part would attach to the left end of the lock cylinder in this picture, I think there is only one screw holding it together if I recall correctly.

t7bdl0.jpg