Timing belt wear...

93pathyfiend

I just installed all new timing (square tooth) belt and tensioner while rebuilding my vg30e. I've only put 20 miles on this motor and my timing belt looks like this:Posted ImagePosted Image

Could this be from being too tight (or too loose)? I know I'm going to have to replace the belt already... But I don't want to do it more than once. Also it looks like on the drivers side cam sprocket the belt has moved forward... Could this cause the washers beside the crank gear to contact the belt? Could I push it back and try it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also if the crank pulley bolt is OVER torqued could that be pushing in on the timing cover? And it's both sides of the belt, maybe worse on the block side...

I couldn't say without seeing the belt in person what the problem is but I would definitely replace the belt and then tighten the new one to spec.

The way to 'backyard mechanic' style tension a timing belt is to install the belt and tensioner to where you think it should be. Then rotate the section of belt between the two upper cam sprockets by 90 degrees in a twisting motion. If the belt goes past 90 degrees of twist, its too loose. If the belt doesn't make 90 degrees of twist, its too tight. I have used this method and never had any issues on any of my Nissans. Just my 2c.

I hate iPad sometimes..., anyway, by your method of checking the tension it's too tight. I am going to pull the bottom cover this weekend and replace the belt, should I replace the tensioner also? The one I put in is brand new, could it have been damaged by the belt being too tight? And thanks Nefarious, you've been a great help answering a few of my questions...

I am talking about the red cord... It sounds like the belt is rubbing on something but only periodically. I'm contemplating leaving it in because it might just need to break in... I just don't want to compromise the belt and bend a valve. This is my first rebuild so I may just be being over cautious... And again by the twist method my belt will not go 90 degrees between the cam gears, this means it's too tight correct? Could this have caused the belt to walk forward?