Wheel bearing lock nut socket.

ShadowTek

I finally found the proper socket for the wheel bearing locknut at a local Napa for like $15.

Evercraft 776-9179 (2 lug spindle nut wrench)

It's a 1/2" drive socket, but they still call it a wrench. lol

Just figured I'd post this since it seemed hard to find.

Thank you. There is also a unit meant for a GM that has 4 prongs instead of two. You just grind 2 of them off and you are set. I can't recall the part number, but I know it has been posted as well.

B

That works if you really need to but Every time I did it without the socket, my bearings would be loose a few thousand miles later. I did it for years like that.

But like scotty says "How many times do I have to tell you, the right tool for the right job!" :lol:

ummm... I use needle nose pliers and an adjustable wrench. Shouldn't be so tight that you need a socket for it.

If you follow the FSM you do. Tighten to 72-75ft/lbs then back off and adjust with a scale.

^Exactly. There is a high initial torque to make sure to seat the races (I don't like it because it is begging to brinell them), but otherwise it is in the 2ft/lb range.

I made sure to seat the new races very well, did a moderate initial torque (20ft/lbs or so), then set at the proper tension. Drove it a few hundred miles and then re-checked them. They were fine, but I always check wheel bearings a second time after a bit of driving.

B

Yeah its quite high. That's what I thought whenI skimmed through to see if there was anything special I'd need to do. "Do what now?! Alright folks..."

• 4 years later...
On 3/2/2014 at 8:19 PM, ShadowTek said:

I finally found the proper socket for the wheel bearing locknut at a local Napa for like $15.

Evercraft 776-9179 (2 lug spindle nut wrench)

Resurrecting to add useful info for those shopping for alternatives or fabricating their own.
2-1/4" OD
1-15/16"ID
Tabs are 3/16"

Evercraft 7769179 still comes up at NAPA and appears to be the cheapest price local and online.
Elsewhere there's Sunex 10202 4 Wheel Drive Spindle Nut Wrench and OTC 7698 2-1/4" Wheel Bearing Locknut Socket.

Edited by MY1PATH
more part numbers
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/5/2014 at 2:37 PM, k9sar said:

ummm... I use needle nose pliers and an adjustable wrench. Shouldn't be so tight that you need a socket for it.

You have to torque the bearing down to spec, loosen, them make it hand tight.