used warn manual locking hubs

FindMe

I found a set of used warn manual locking hubs for my 95 pathfinder. My questions.... Do these bolt directly on or do I need additional hardware? Should I be worried about putting used hub on my pathfinder?. The seller wants $100 for the pair

Does the R50 and wd21 have the same procedure for changing to manual locking hubs? There is a write up on the R50 section on warn manual hubs. Also are my stock 95 hubs permanently locked or are they auto locking? If auto then do they work on vacuum or weights?

stuck WD21 hubs are automatic hubs, they lock when you put the truck in 4wd and the front tires make a complete revolution, to unlock you put it back in 2wd and back up about 3 feet. Many prefer manual locking hubs over the automatic hubs because there is no question if the hubs are locked or not, when you lock them they are lcked, un lock them they are un locked.

The auto hubs do not work off of vacuum or weights, there are parts inside that are called brakes and a spring that moves one part inside the other causing them to lock, see the FSM there is a good schematic on all the parts of the hubs.

One small correction to the above..the auto hubs lock when the CV shaft tries to drive the wheel. The tire can remain stationary and it still will lock.

If you don't plan to wheel hard the auto hubs will do just fine. I put mine through a good amount of abuse before I broke one. Auto hubs are nice for being able to put it in 4wheel drive to deal with bad road conditions & weather cause you get to stay in the vehicle and not get wet.

that's right, my mistake, you can be stuck and engage 4wd happened to me a long time ago in my hardbody, was stuck in mud and put it in 4wd the axle made it's complete revolution and locked in with a bang ! . Guess that's why it's better for the tire to be turning when you put it in 4wd, or at least if you put it in 4wd while sitting still than are able to drive allowing the hub to lock as compared to what happened to me having the hub lock while being stuck.

Thanks for the info.Back to the other part of question. Do I just need hub and longer studs for install or is there other hardware required. When I switched my explorer over I needed different axle nut and spacers.

I found a set in a yard. I had to use the shorter studs that came with it until I got tired of them always backing out and binding on the hub when I needed to remove it. Then I just went to hardware store and replaced with allen bolts. Much easier.