Tire Rack Template

Bubbley11

Do all vehicles have those brackets, even those without the tire rack option? Hmmm...
If so, is there any way to get a center punch up there from the inside, so you use the bolt holes themselves to make your "mark"? I can imagine the top one would be one hellova tight squeeze. Maybe you could thread the bolts in until they contact the body sheet metal (again, in reverse, from the inside) and use them to help you make your drill marks?

Anyone? I tried making it by holding it up but thats not going to work....ever. I want to be accurate and safe.

sorry, I latched mine to the under-hatch brackets after they were mounted, used a ratchet strap to hold it against the body, a pencil and a tape measure.

Do all vehicles have those brackets, even those without the tire rack option? Hmmm...

If so, is there any way to get a center punch up there from the inside, so you use the bolt holes themselves to make your "mark"? I can imagine the top one would be one hellova tight squeeze. Maybe you could thread the bolts in until they contact the body sheet metal (again, in reverse, from the inside) and use them to help you make your drill marks?

Negative, you have to source brackets for a truck that was not originally equipped with one.

sorry, I latched mine to the under-hatch brackets after they were mounted, used a ratchet strap to hold it against the body, a pencil and a tape measure.

Negative, you have to source brackets for a truck that was not originally equipped with one.

did yours have the dimples for the holes for the under hatch brackets, my 87 did and I just very carefully drilled the holes out and the threaded brackets were already there

Edited by vagabond

did yours have the dimples for the holes for the under hatch brackets, my 87 did and I just very carefully drilled the holes out and the threaded brackets were already there

Yes, I had them with the threads on the otherwise of the sheet metal, I believe all wd21s have that, it's the braces around the taillight the carrier actually mounts to that are only in carrier equipped trucks.

And removed that double post for ya :aok:

Ive had the bottom done for a bit. Just want the sides done right.....Im a perfectionist when it comes to my rig. Just was curious before I messed around with it. Thanks guys, you know a guy with the template will pop up after ive done it. :laugh:

Before this thread goes into the abyss, anyone wanna post a pic of the tires rack's location relative to the light housing? Just a pic from a 45 deg. angle, flat to the bottom, of the light please.