RPM Gauge is stuck at 3000 RPMS

PitBullGirl23

I just traded my Subaru for a Pathfinder, and for some reason when you start it up, the RPS go straight to 3. Now, I have listened to the engine, and it sounds fine (aside from the ticking manifold I need to replace), and it doesn't sound like it's revving as high as that (no where near). When you shut it off, it goes back down to zero, but also doesn't seem to change while driving. What are some thoughts on what I might need to replace to fix that? I'm also replacing the thermostat, coolant temp sensor, and exhaust manifold.

Probably the contacts for the gauge are loose. You can take the cluster out and tighten the screws that provide the ground (there are like 20 on the back of the cluster). Also make sure the connectors are well seated.

• Like 1

And now it stopped again. Doesn't seem really like it's not working now, just that it gets stuck. I replaced my coolant sensor to see if that fixed the temp gauge (didn't -.-) and it only goes up to 2500 now, but when i give it gas it goes up, and then stays at 3000.

You're on the right track though. If tightening them worked for a while, then your issue is most likely in the same spot as last time. Pull it out again, but this time remove, clean, sand, or just rub the mating points of the screw. Do one at a time.

No relay for the dash.

94 and up gauge clusters are notorious for having gauge problems. My tach ('95 Hardbody) did the exact same thing, it would be erratic. Cleaning contacts, etc. did not work.

I hate to say it, but "it's time for a replacement gauge cluster".