95 Pathfinder studdering with power

JPKearney

I have a question and I have noticed you have a far amount of knowledge with these vehicles so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 95 pathfinder 5 speed 3.0 ..... the problem - when I put any tough load on the truck if feels like it is studdering .... mostly happens in 3rd 4th and 5th if you try to accelerate to fast. If you drive really easly it doesnt do it. I have replaced plugs , wires , distrubator , rotar , fuel filter , ran seafoam through it. I'm wondering if my catalyst convertor could be clogged up or maybe an O2 sensor. Any ideas all help is greatly appreciated!!!

Only under a load? Is there any racket from the engine when it does this under a load (rattling, pinging, or knocking)? If so, I'd suspect the ignition timing is too far advanced. Alternately it could be bad or contaminated fuel. I'd say old fuel too, but we know how fast Pathys go through fuel, so the odds of gas sitting for months in the tank are next to zero.

No there isn't any rattling or pinging and as far as bad gas your right they do chug it so wouldnt think it was that plus she hasnt sat at all.

No the check engine light isn't and and the vacuum lines are intact.

Thank you for the replies

Check the timing. To adjust it, there's a bolt at the base of the distributor that, when loosened, will allow you to rotate the distributor to adjust the timing. For timing adjustment, get a timing light and hook to #1 sparkplug. Check the marks on the crankshaft pully. should be about 5 degrees BTDC. Someone else can chime in on how to read the marks, I don't have my FSB available at work.

maybe it's 15 BTDC. Hell, I forget

Edited by k9sar

Question: Just for kicks last night I went out and bought a timing light (wanted to get one for some time now) and checked the timing on the truck. There are seven marks on the pulley and each mark is about 3 degrees; is that correct?

also, check the battery terminals and the fusible links. if there is not a good connection there then your truck can studder and hesitate under load.

you will also want to check for a tight connector at the mass air flow sensor as these can come loose over time (you can bend them back tight again) and also make sure the MAF sensor element is clean (use maf cleaner on the element if it's dirty and DO NOT touch it with anything).

of the 7 matks, 15 degrees is the middle one (see Adam's post)

I love seeing people chime in with suggestions but don't let it get you confused. Make a list then check them out one by one until you find the problem. don't forget to post the solution once you are back to running again so that other's may benefit from your experience

also, check the battery terminals and the fusible links. if there is not a good connection there then your truck can studder and hesitate under load.

you will also want to check for a tight connector at the mass air flow sensor as these can come loose over time (you can bend them back tight again) and also make sure the MAF sensor element is clean (use maf cleaner on the element if it's dirty and DO NOT touch it with anything).

Some people have reported probklems with MAF cleaners. Most members here just uses a pure grade alcohol and a Q-tip without issue.

B

Hahhhh....so that my truck is running 22 degrees is probably not a good thing then.... methinks I'll be changing that tonight more towards the 15 degree end of the spectrum.... plus or minus 2 degrees....

Thanks for the info adamzan!

Same thing was happening to mine a week ago. First I did fuel filter. didnt help a thing but it was the original from 200,000 miles ago so it needed to go. Then I did your usual tune up, Plugs, Wires, Cap, and Rotor. Which had helped a little bit but not much, finally decided id throw a whole new distributor at it, and it fixed the problem. so if youve tried everything but that then id say its worth a shot.

My bad was assuming that the timing marks were 3 degrees each.... they are, as I have been told, 5 degrees each. And now my fuel consumption has gone down about 5 percent. Yay for NPORA and the gentle-folk on here. Word to the Precise 1. Adamzan and Don my homie at the dealership!!

Thanks guys!

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

Hey Guys finally got it figured out!!!! It was the Ignition coil and the Distributor .... replaced them bout as well as a Rotor, D-cap, plugs and plugs wires again and she is running great now. Thanks for the help and all the input.

Jake Kearney