Transmission swap

vanuatoo

I swapped an Xterra Transmission into my 4x4 and when the car warms up, it won't go into higher gears...is this a limp mode condition...do I need to get the TCM from an Xterra, and install it on my 94 Pathfinder...Thank You 

From what I've read, no, it should be a simple plug-and-play. Limp mode puts it in third IIRC. Does the light in the E-AT switch flash when you start the truck?

Check your transmission fluid level when the transmission is warm. Too high or too low can both make a slushbox act weird, and they're easy to overfill. I filled mine to what seemed about right when it was cold and had to drain about a quart once it warmed up to get the level correct on the dipstick.

What gears do you have, and not have? IIRC on mine the neutral safety switch (range sensor as nissan calls it) was broken and the tcm didn't know what position the shifter was in. It caused me to have 1-3 and 4 only when a certain amount of throttle was applied. Torque converter lock up didn't work at all. I may be misremembering the gears because this was over a decade ago now.

Edited by adamzan

4 hours ago, adamzan said:

What gears do you have, and not have? IIRC on mine the neutral safety switch (range sensor as nissan calls it) was broken and the tcm didn't know what position the shifter was in. It caused me to have 1-3 and 4 only when a certain amount of throttle was applied. Torque converter lock up didn't work at all. I may be misremembering the gears because this was over a decade ago now.

No torque converter lock up? Did you thank your lucky stars??? 😁