Heroic Tragedy

SkiBumBrian

I have a painful story I must relate.

For the past few days I have been trying to make sense of the tragic death of one of my dogs. I am single and my dogs are my children, not just possessions.

Between my neighbor and me is a vertical batt vinyl fence, aesthetically pleasing but less than structurally sound. He has large dogs that constantly taunt passers by and people walking to the mailboxes just a mere few feet from the neglected and aggressive animals. Knowing this I took the obvious precautions, placing bricks along the base of the fence, etc. to keep my Chihuahuas from digging and/or getting under the fence to his property. I felt fairly secure that things were safe although his dogs relentlessly bark and growl at anything that moves.

I came home the day before yesterday to a horrific situation. I walked through the door and immediately noticed that one of my kids was not there to greet me. I went into the back yard (they have a doggie door) and called for him to no avail. I of course walk the fence looking for an escape route and noticed that one of the flimsy vertical batts of the fence between my property and his was knocked out from his dogs bouncing against it. I knew this could not be good. I replaced the batt, looked over the fence and called his name but no answer. I was hoping he had escaped not only through the hole but also out of the neighbors yard but that was not the case. I knocked on the neighbors door after he secured his extremely mean animals we found Kawil dead in a corner of his yard.

I have been trying to make sense of this senseless tragedy for the past few days. Friends have said anything from kill the dogs, beat the @!*% out of the owner, to suit or other legal action but none of the above will do anything but cause more pain. He was very compassionate about the situation and offered me another puppy but to me that was only a band-aid and would not replace the death of my family member. What good could come of this? I told my neighbor that installing some hog wire around the base of the fence would not only prevent this from happening again but might also prevent this happening along the sidewalk which may involve others, possibly a child. This preventive maintenance seemed sensible but still did not relieve the horrible pain I was still feeling. I was talking with a friend that I typically think of as a very nice fellow but not real bright had a wonderful idea. You may not want a new puppy from him but he could donate to the local shelter to help save other dogs or provide a home for a homeless pet.

Brilliant! Although my loss still hurts, we can turn a senseless murder into something positive. Kawil has given his life, we have possibly saved other injuries or death by fixing the fence and he has also given a home or life to another needy pet.

Kawil is now a hero. I miss him terribly but now feel his death was not in vain and has actually given hope and life to others. Hooray for the heros in our lives

sorry to hear about your dog.

IMO untrained aggressive or vicious dogs have no place in a neighbourhood.

As the owner of a large Guardian breed dog I am always aware that my dogs behaviour directly reflects on me. All of my training with her (4years and counting) has led to a well socialized animal that I trust with my life my friends children and my neighbours Chihuahaus .

• Like 2

Those dogs should be put down. Sorry to be so blunt but in high school my friend had a dog that was always loud and aggressive but I thought nothing of it till it bit me in the leg one day...They had it put down because, well it was a tragedy like yours waiting to happen.

I'm not a dog person at all, but people with big, aggressive dogs really piss me off and they are usually some dirt bag who only cares about themselves.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Edited by adamzan

Thank you for your input and sentiment. I feel something positive will come of this loss so his death was not in vain. I would hope that all dog owners would learn from your wisdom.

These dogs have been an issue in the neighborhood for a long time. People are afraid to come get their mail because of the dogs charging the fence. He is in the process of fixing the weak fence issue but does not change the fact he is not a responsible pet owner.

Thanks guys for your thoughts, I have had responses from another forum I frequent and some are going to their local shelters to donate on Kawil's behalf. His death will help some other dog find a home......

My neighbors have mean dogs also. I hate it when my dogs get loose because the neighbor has shot other dogs for being out of their yards. They are not really good dog owners and have them just for protection. They have no social life and scare the crude out of me when im walking.

My dogs on the other hand are pretty big, but are wimps. they will run to play with other dogs but the second it barks or the owner comes close they run away. They bark and snarl but when you turn towards them they run.

I feel your loss, I hated it when my very first dog died. They are our kids not just pets.

• Like 1

Man that sucks big time .

This past summer my grand niece (10) was walking her Aunt's Chihuahua along with another grand niece (4) , they turned a corner and ran into a German Shepard (also on leash) .

My little buddy Chico thought he was 7 lbs. of badass fury when it came to other dogs , with people he was a little gentleman .

It was all over in seconds , so fast that the woman walking the GS couldn't stop it .

My grand nieces saw the whole thing and were traumatized pretty bad , then when the cops got there the husband of the girl walking the GS started yelling at the 10 y.o. that it was all her fault .

The cop said he wanted to throttle the guy .

No charges got filed and the woman went over to apologize and to pay to have Chico cremated and his ashes returned ,

Animal Control did an investigation and now requires the GS ( a shelter dog it turned out ) to wear a muzzle when he's being walked .

I see him being walked with his muzzle on and actually feel bad for him , he just carries himself like a sad old dog .

As a dog lover I can't help but feel for him a bit even if he killed my little bud .

How is your other dog doing ?

• Like 1

These tragedies always touch my heart. I know dogs will be dogs but as owners we need to be aware of the dangers and the dangers we can cause. I hope you and your grand niece have healed and she has no lasting scars from witnessing the experience. Maya, Tepeu, and Babbas were kinda shook up and looked for him for the first couple of days, thank goodness their memories don't work like ours.....

I understand the owners being aware part , and I think that was a big part of the guy going off on a little girl in my situation .

According to his wife he is very fond of his dog and it had been abused before he took it in .

He thought they would take him and put him down , and he responded in anger out of affection for his buddy .

I think when I explained it in that way to my niece it may have saved him from a beating....

The 10 y.o. became deathly afraid of dogs since , the 4 y.o. had nightmares for a week but seems to have either forgotten or repressed it now .

Me , Chico never left my side when I visited and could tell I was coming from 1/2 mile down the street .

I'd seen his aggression towards other dogs before , and I'd sit there with him and explain that he could get in a lot of trouble with his big mouth .

I just had to kinda shrug and say "I told him so" and "He went out like the badass he thought he was" .

You had quite a pack of little guys , the 3 remaining are probably your best support group .

Big or small , they sure do seem to connect with what their human is feeling .

So sorry to hear about your buddy Chico :(

I have 3 little guys (all under 8lbs) &, like you, they're my kids. I used to walk them around my hood but there's so many big dogs running loose that it's become impossible.

This is terrible news. My wife and I chose not to have kids due to her health issues when we got married fifteen years ago. So, like you, we have "fur children" (albeit, they are cats). We live in the country where people think that it is okay to let there big dogs roam free. Years ago, I awoke to the sound of a cat screeming and dogs growling on my back porch. I witnessed one of our kitties being pulled apart by two of the neighbors dogs. He died in my arms after I chased them off. I ended up shooting one of them weeks later and still have the other one marked for death when the fskcer shows up in my yard again. I did feel better after I shot the first dog and I'm sure I'll feel better after taging the second. Actually, I've kissed the bullet that I intend on putting through the monster that killed my kitty.

I have felt your pain and I am sorry. :(

Wow man, this tears to my eyes. I'm very sorry for your loss in this violent manner. I applaud your restraint and I thank you for being the bigger man in this situation and not resorting to violence against his dogs or himself, the owner. I'm glad you were able to turn this into a positive. Now when that guy lays awake in bed at night, knowing that his dogs are murderers, he might decide to do something about them or their outdoor living situation, or the fence itself.

Thanks to all of you for your support, thoughts, and relating your own similar tragedies. Most of them are preventable but makes them no less tragic, maybe more so.

Some good will come out of Kawil's death, maybe even save injury or death to a another beloved pet or God forbid, a child. Although it has been constant rain here the neighbor has already been installing hogwire and supporting rails to strengthen the fence.

Thanks again everyone

Sorry for your loss, all three of our dog's are our sons and understand the way you feel, we had a similar experience with our bangle cat. Being truck drivers we were out driving, when our daughter calls and tells us the neighbors border collies from the horse farm next to and behind us, had caught the big cat (40lbs & lean) and were using him for tug a war, we were lucky enough to save him. BUT at great cost to pocket book. The dogs themselves are very kind, as is the owner. They just thought he was a toy, they weren't growling, just playing like dog's do. But she gave up her dog's anyway to family so we wouldn't have to worry about another problem,accident happening. Now our new neighbors on other side got a dog that has turned out to be aggressive, right down mean, they yell and hit the dog a lot, but rather than get rid of the dog. They have locked it in a 4/8 cage all the time, which isn't fair to the dog either. We have called aspc and anonymously left message.It amazes me how many people don't know about proper dog care. We have a saying in the dog show circuit. No bad dogs, just bad owners...just shows how you can have two different outcomes from very similar situations. I believe that the neighbor should have been reported to aspc in your area. If not I think I would be asking for a neighborhood ballot to get the owners to find new homes for the aggressive animals. A person should not be afraid to walk in their own neck of the woods.

Edited by Nissanland

Sorry for your loss, that's heartbreaking. If you only do one thing as a result, please file a report about it. I don't think the animals should to be put down but the owner should be forced to fix the fence and get them trained so this doesn't repeat.

Dogs by nature are protective of their pack and property, unless they're socialized to accept the neighborhood dogs as part of the larger pack they will see other animals and people as a threat and will react to protect.

I hate to say it... but yeah, that dog needs to be seriously looked at, possibly put down. Aggression like that is just a life waiting to be lost, and if the dog is that bad, I don't know how he could be rehabbed. I am terribly sorry for your loss, but I pray that no small kids get tagged by that brute.

For the record, huge dog fan here... my old German Shepherd / Rottweiler mix named Storm was my fave best bud... smartest damn dog. Never seen a mutt teach himself not only how to open the door to go out and do his business, but then CLOSE IT upon coming back inside.