Broken manifold studs

itsmemtn

I know ive seen this before on here but for some reason cant seem to find it. I have two broken exhaust manifold studs on the drivers side. Ive tried to get a drill bit/easy out in there and drill them out but I am unable to get it lined up correctly. The way i see it the only other way to remove and replace them is to remove the head. I already have 6 new studs and a complete head gasket kit. Was wondering if yall have any tips or Info on removeing the head and if any special tools are needed. thanks in advance

If you know someone who has a MIG welder or can rent one it is possible to weld a large nut on the remaining steel stud in the head and remove it with a wrench. There's no worry about welding anything to the head itself since it's made of aluminum not steel. I hear it's way easier to fix it that way than to remove the head!!

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

placing the nut against the head and throwing a weld insode the nut, to the stud is what would be needed. Don't worry about the aluminum head getting screwed up at the threads by the heat, as you ease the stud out (slowly, carefully and with penetrating oil), it will rethread it if needed. You may lose a thread or two but since the stud goes in ove a half inch, there's plenty to grab.

• 3 weeks later...

placing the nut against the head and throwing a weld insode the nut, to the stud is what would be needed. Don't worry about the aluminum head getting screwed up at the threads by the heat, as you ease the stud out (slowly, carefully and with penetrating oil), it will rethread it if needed. You may lose a thread or two but since the stud goes in ove a half inch, there's plenty to grab.

To do this process correctly, a TIG welder is needed.

If you have a decent amount of drill bits, I used to use a larger drill bit to drill the face of the broken stud and knock a small amount of of the aluminum out of the way. This deburs the area and centers for a smaller drill bit. Drill, tap and remove.

^ :clap:

Always apply penetrating oil, use left hand drills (CCW, sometimes they will walk the bolt out themselves) and good removers, I prefer the square design for the smaller bolts. An automatic centerpunch can help a lot to make a start point in the center as well...

B