Just Bought 2008 Nissan Pathfinder (What is the good, the bad, and the ugly)

brc19761

Hi,

I just bought (paying for :) a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder SE 2wd for my Mom and Dad. My sister is expecting her third child. So, the Saturn Aura sedan they had would be a little cramped for everyone. I did not want to buy a crossover I wanted something with room for seven, and frame with the ability to haul.

I have a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder and a 1997 Nissan Hardbody 4x4. This new Pathfinder has way to many buttons for me. I was wondering what common problems I need to watch out for. It has 69,000 miles on it and I purchased a three year 36,000 mile extended warranty. How many miles can I expect to get out of the 4.0L. What are the good aspects of the new Pathfinder.

Thanks,

brc

Congrats on the purchase (and the new niece/nephew) the 4.0 has proven to be a reliable power plant. The guides on the timing chain have a tendency for failure leading to an rpm dependent whine (similar to a super charger). You are also right on the cusp of the radiator redesign. The transmission cooler inside of the radiator can fail allowing coolant to contaminate the ATF. Google SMOD relative to the xterra (which IOU share engine and trans with)

Thanks for the replies. I will find out if it is a niece or nephew on valentine's day. When I bought my 1994 Pathfinder LE 4x4 I asked a similar question in the 90-95 forums. Everyone mainly responded two things (1) the transmission cooler had problems causing the transmission to overheat (2) frame rust. I can't believe Nissan still has problems with the transmission cooler's? The problem with the timing chain does that usually happen at higher miles or can it happen any time? I have heard that my 97 Hardbody's KA24E four cylinder can have timing chain and guide problems.

Thanks,

brc

• 2 months later...

Secondary shoes wear prematurely at 30,000 miles and above. It is a Calsonic design issue not Nissan that had radiator problems. When Nissan buys parts from vendors and they wear out or break it would be under the applied warranty that Nissan covers and possibly charges back to the vendor. Because of pending lawsuits Nissan has extended the radiator coverage at a prorated cost to the client. 10 years 80,000 miles extension free, 80,000 -90,000 miles is a $2,500 copay and 90,000-100,000 miles $3,000 copay 10 year limit. This is of course if there is transmission damage

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, for not replying sooner. I would like to thank you for the info. about the radiator coverage. I would have never known if you would have never posted it. That is what I like about this forums.

• 4 weeks later...

along with the timing chain guides noted in the above comment, things we see down here to check/be aware of:

• Valve body failure due to coolant leak inside radiator on 04-07 models. Your 2008 should be ok but still recommend putting an external trans oil cooler on the truck.
  • Rear parking brake shoes wearing out.
  • Vehicles with automatic ac having the AC mode door actuator failing.
  • Center console rear pull out cup holder breaking - usually from children manhandling it. nissan has a stronger replacement.
  • Overhead consoles with drop down DVD players - the tabs holding it to the roof break and console falls down due to heat in summer and the weight of the console.
  • Rear hatch lift struts need replacing every 2-3 years. that rear gate is super heavy.
  • Cats on the manifolds failing. not as bad as some of the other vehicles, but no one seems to be able to build cats anymore.

• Cats on the manifolds failing. not as bad as some of the other vehicles, but no one seems to be able to build cats anymore.

I'm kind of amazed that the manifold-mounted cats last at all; seems like the heat cycling would be hell on them. Hopefully the Pathy cats don't puke bits back into the motor like on the Sentras.

• Like 1

I'm kind of amazed that the manifold-mounted cats last at all; seems like the heat cycling would be hell on them. Hopefully the Pathy cats don't puke bits back into the motor like on the Sentras.

The 4.0L cats are vented a little more with the outside air and seem to last longer. 5.6L cats are crammed in there and puke for the same reason as the manifold mounted sentras. They get too hot.

Yikes. Do the 5.6L motors end up burning oil like the Sentras?

No they do not. Though the oil cooler O-ring gaskets and the engine oil pressure switch will leak after time.

• 3 months later...

along with the timing chain guides noted in the above comment, things we see down here to check/be aware of:

[*]Rear hatch lift struts need replacing every 2-3 years. that rear gate is super heavy.

Is there a stronger strut replacement, possibly from another vehicle, that will work. This random dropping of the gate sucks.

Is there a stronger strut replacement, possibly from another vehicle, that will work. This random dropping of the gate sucks.

Nissan upgraded them to a stouter version in 2010. All the older part numbers from Nissan supercede to that part number now. IMHO they still seem to wear though. :shrug:

• 8 months later...

The 4.0L cats are vented a little more with the outside air and seem to last longer. 5.6L cats are crammed in there and puke for the same reason as the manifold mounted sentras. They get too hot.

No they don't, I have a 5.6. I do agree with the rear hatch struts failing rather quickly.