Replacement headlamp housings

5523Pathfinder

Ok, so here's he deal, after 1347564775873465 times up Nadine down I-5, multiple wheelin adventures and age, my headlamp housings have just about had it. Now, I was going to look into the euro housings, but they are spendy and I don't know what they look like installed. Then again, other than factory, I don't know what any other housings look like installed. Other than a factory replacement, I ran across these..

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ANZ0/111050/03970.oap?year=1995&make=Nissan&model=Pathfinder&vi=1212006&ck=Search_03970_1212006_4358&pt=03970&ppt=C0028

And was wondering if anyone has installed them? I ain't going to buy some cheap eBay crap, nor am I going to spend a ton on a lamp that can get trashed offroad. I would love to see what get look like in the day and night, lights on or off. So if you have any aftermarket housings or the euro housings, can ya show me and tell me how it's working for you?

The OEM European Housings look the same as on the outside as the USDM but run H4 bulbs and the light pattern runs a sharper cut off.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400194581120?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm waiting until my bumper includes headlight protection before I get another matching set.

I have used a set of the clear ones for many years, They are plastic and the first thing I did was put xpel covers on them. http://www.xpel.com/products/headlight.asp
This stopped sand and stones from scratching them up for years and finally it held all the plastic in place when I plowed into a log hiding in a bush...

Also, a lot of light leaks out of the top and sides of the lenses so I painted the border to reduce unwanted light scattering. After that they were pretty good.
Bright light pattern but not as even as stock, If you aim them so left overlaps right a little it evens out allot.

Edited by MY1PATH

hardbody conversion with Hella Euro spec H4 headlights, 55 watt low 100 watt high beams, running off a double relay fed from the stock headlight wiring ( from one side triggers relay feeding both sides) using a custom made 10 gauge headlight harness ( by me), with hardbody grille, these lights are BRIGHT especially the 100 watt high beams, they have a sharp cut off so you are not blinding anyone, as long as you have them adjusted right, these headlights are NOT DOT approved but don't think anyone is going to stop me to check them, no inspections down here anyway, pics below:

w0ia7t.jpg

double relay, this is an old relay, made by Dick Cepek, have it fused with an automatic circuit breaker:

2jcdoc1.jpg

rockauto has TYC (name brand) replacement headlight assemblies for $40 each with the bulb

FWIW this is what my current pathy has on it now (was in an accident at some point) they seem to be pretty nice. Way better light than the stock ones my old rig had.

hardbody conversion with Hella Euro spec H4 headlights, 55 watt low 100 watt high beams, running off a double relay fed from the stock headlight wiring ( from one side triggers relay feeding both sides) using a custom made 10 gauge headlight harness ( by me), with hardbody grille, these lights are BRIGHT especially the 100 watt high beams, they have a sharp cut off so you are not blinding anyone, as long as you have them adjusted right, these headlights are NOT DOT approved but don't think anyone is going to stop me to check them, no inspections down here anyway, pics below:

w0ia7t.jpg

double relay, this is an old relay, made by Dick Cepek, have it fused with an automatic circuit breaker:

IMHO the (hardbody) 5x7's are the best option, they sit farther back, take harder hits when being back is not enough, and the H4 versions (vs sealed beam 5x7's) offer much better lighting in both USDM and Euro versions.

Not to mention The 5x7 size will be around forever, they were used on millions of cars around the world whereas the Pathfinder lights were specific to just pathfinders.

yes even the DOT hella's have better light output than a normal sealed beam headlight, be careful if you decide to get Euro spec headlights, they have to be for a country where they drive on the same side of the road as the US, other wise the light will blind oncoming traffic no matter how you adjust them

Last I checked Rock auto sells the 5x7's for the HB complete with mounting brackets so all you need is the grille which they also sell.

They also list foreign market parts but i do not know if your euro lights are on there...(goes to search)

EDIT: no euro bulbs listed and the Headlamp Assemblies are sealed beam only(under body exterior). But for $38 a side that's not bad for getting you started with all new mounting hardware.
Upgrade to euro's later and keep the sealed beams as spares.

(ADDS ITEM TO CART for later)

Edited by MY1PATH

to convert to hardbody headlights you can do as My1path said, but you will also need to swap the headlight plugs to sealed beam style like the hardbody uses, the pathfinder uses the 9004 style plug, and can not be used with a sealed beam or H4 bulb .

• Like 1

Please, don't take this the wrong way, but it will not be doing the hardbody swap. It just don't appeal to me. I drive a pathfinder, not a pickup. Being that I wheel my rig, I am more concerned about quality and durability. If I want more light, I will add more light. So the plastic units some used were the Anzo units?

In my pic above if I didn't say it was a pf, you wouldn't know and might think it was a hardbody so how could it look

Out of place? I think the 89 hardbody with the pf headlights looks out of place

my main reason for swapping was just so I could use my grille with the lights built into it , the E - spec hella H4 headlights are just a bonus. This morning was first time I drove my pf in a while and my lights are bright !

Just wanted to give another option for you.

To be honest, I don't like the pickup swap on my truck, other than having kickass lighting. If I had known that LHD Euro lights were so cheap I would have went that route instead.

Derek, I highly recommend staying away from anything with a plastic lense, those Anzo units look cheesey and exactly like the supercheap ebay units. If I were you I'd buy those Euro lights on the auction that Garret posted, especially being that they are meant for LHD traffic and the H4/9003 bulb is superior to the 9004 in every way.

• Like 1

In my pic above if I didn't say it was a pf, you wouldn't know and might think it was a hardbody so how could it look

Out of place? I think the 89 hardbody with the pf headlights looks out of place

I can tell..... it has a pathy hood. :lol:

what 3 hardbody hoods I only know about 2 ?

You have probably all seen this grille but this was the main reason I did the headlight swap, so this would fit:

11s2tdv.jpg

I took it back out because the PF is almost sold and the grille stays with me ! ( I've had it 20 something years already !)

Edited by ahardb0dy