so whats the fix for the power locks?

Guest craig

The power locks going up and down on their own?

I searched, and only found its a common problem, and happens mostly in cold weather, but I didn't find a fix. Is there one?

Seriously, I don't know what's up. The most I've heard, you may have some luck pulling the door panel and lubing all the associated door lock linkages, as well as the lock cylinders themselves. But who knows if it works, as I haven't gotten around to that. On an annoying note, we had a cold snap a couple weeks ago (in the teens at night) and near as I can tell, it messed with the seal on my doors or something. All the sudden, on the coldest nights, I'd wake up to a tripped alarm every morning. She pulled a similar trick on the hottest days of the summer(around 100, which is freakin hot in the Seattle area). Also, I'd have crazy wind noise driving to work in the mornings like an air leak, and now I just discovered that I have a water leak that has soaked the backing on the carpet, especially on the passenger side. I'm thinking the door seals and possibly the lock mechanisms are questionable in heat extremes with age. We had cold, then border line with freezing rain and such, and I think some moisture leaked in. Time to pull the carpet this spring. So, any other takers on this theory of questionable sealing?

Guest CV_Ryder

My 1994 SE started having panic alarm problems and door lock/unlock problems several weeks ago. Shop replaced a broken hood sensor pin for the alarm fault, but the problem didn't go away. Live in the No. Virginia area, which has been cold and snowy. I have been leaving it unlocked and disconnecting the battery at night until I can get it fixed -- oh well, still moves pretty good through the snow!

WAVEY

mine's only done this once, and we get stupid cold weather here. The day it happened was about -30C ambient temp. and i had (foolishly) washed the truck the day before when it was SIGNIFICANTLY warmer. the passenger side froze up, and my alarm remote would unlock the doors, but then immediatly lock again because of the mechanism. I simply took a small propane torch and blasted the latch on the door, took care of it immediatly and hasn't done it since.

my .02

My take on the cause of the problem is a failing or failed driver's side power lock solenoid. If it were to unlock but then somehow stay lock-tensioned internally so as to re-lock itself, it'd do that sort of thing.

Imagine a spring attached to the lock linkage somehow, keeping the door locked. When you hit the button to unlock it, the solenoid would have enough force to push the linkage/lock up, but then the spring would immediately pull it back down, which would re-lock ALL the doors, cause the driver's lock locks them all, right? That's the sort of thing I'm getting at. I'm not saying there are springs inside the door, but something in there just might work that way somehow, either in the lock linkage itself or inside the solenoid.

Anyone tried just replacing the driver's side solenoid?