reared by semi truck bend frame?

EmeraldJackal

so on my way to school yesterday I was reared in the rain at a stoplight in the right rear. I was wondering if it manged or anyone knows if the frame on the second gen pathies are that good to withstand a impact like that. the tail grate is bend abit the taillight on the right side is in pieces and the rightside of the bumper is twisted and mangled with some right rear quarter panel damage running from the bottom to the mid quarter of the window but I drove it home with very little problem. I dont want to lose my pathy I have come to enjoy it even with it problems but I just want to know if it can be saved

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope everyone is all right, that is what really matters.

That's really hard to say without inspecting it or some really good pictures. That said, it doesn't sound too bad, it is surprising what a good shop can fix, especially if you are not concerned about perfection. The R50s (1996-2004) are unibody FYI; I'm not sure if that works to your advantage or not with this.

If they want to total it, you can try to settle out and buy it back... :shrug:

B

• Like 1

There is no frame on your 1996 Pathfinder, it's designed and built like a car. If you were rear ended at anything harder than walking speed, it's more than likely totaled.

A good way to check if anything is bent too badly is inspect where the door frames meet with the body. Gaps should be even and no air should be able to get in to the cabin, also there should be no added difficulty in the opening and closing of the side doors.

thanks I will look at that in the morning just been really bad this week for my family and cars and I will post pictures in a bit but its most likely gonna be. I didnt forget the r50 pathfinders are unibodies. I am fine no injury to tell of right now and thanks guys for helping

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

Agreed, that should be readily reparable.

Sorry to hear it's been a bad week for you and yours...

also can this forum posting be moved to the r50 section if possible I hit the wrong place

Done.

B

Seems repairable, and sorry to hear about the impact.

Of course I think us car50 owners are lucky, because in more major accidents the unibody absorbs the impact and keeps it from transferring to you (like a lot of framed vehicles do) though with the negative that it's less easily repaired than a frame. Good to hear you're ok, and that should be no issue.

Edited by Karmann

Yeah, looks alright to continue driving with. I had similar, but not quite as extensive damage to the tailgate, quarter panel, and bumper. Opted to paint & replace the bumper and tailgate myself and had a shop fix the quarter panel (which is yet unpainted, urgh).

thanks for helping guys I do hope it isnt that much but if it is totaled I may look for a newer one and I have looked at the doorframes gaps and there not moved so it may just come down to the amount of damage and the price they are gonna put on my truck

I'm just curious.. but do you know what punctuation is?

It bothers me too, but let's give the guy a break eh? He's clearly had something unfortunate happen to him, and he gets his point across. (The same can't be said for other members on here hahaha jk :D )

Edited by Karmann