Heating not working well.

Eneas30

Help please! Pathfinder 2008 4WD SE. I'm having problems with the heating in my car. Every time I put the heat on it just blows cold air either on AC or not. Sometimes it blows warm air when in low, but when I crank it all the way just clod air comes out. Thanx.

I had something similar with my '05 Xterra. Does warm air come out when the car is moving and then cool down when you are stopped and idling? If so you probably just need to burp it.

sounds like a heater core issue or more seriously a radiator issue. a running engine makes heat, those to things take heat away. If you are not getting heat into the cabin it could mean bad things. does the temperature gauge read proper operating temperature? my advice is to take it to a qualified mechanic.

I had something similar with my '05 Xterra. Does warm air come out when the car is moving and then cool down when you are stopped and idling? If so you probably just need to burp it.

What this guys said. I had to do this on my mothers maxima, and my fathers '11 xterra is now doing the same thing. My friend with an 08 xterra had the same issue and a coolant flush fixed it.

• Like 1

X3 it doesn't sound like anything serious as of yet. A good flush will hopefully do the trick. If you can, remove the heater core hoses at the firewall and give that a good flush with a hose.

Bushnut, the point of this forum is to gain knowledge and share it so owners can save money and learn forst hand about their vehicles instead of getting hosed at a shop, especially if its an easy fix.

If a flush doesn't change anything, feel the heater core hoses when the engine is hot and idling. They should be very hot, if they are your cooling system is functioning properly and the issue may be in the blend doors behind the dash. I have no idea how the system in the newer Nissans work, but I do know its becoming a rather large issue with vehicles nowadays since they're electronically controlled for the most part.

Also, does it do it all the time or just at idle? If at idle, rev it up and hold it - see if the heat comes back.

Thank you all for your replies. Last night I checked the radiator reservoir container and it was empty (engine was cool), not to mention that the radiator was in need of antifreeze fluid. I topped the radiator with antifreeze liquid and filled the reservoir container to adequate level. This morning I had perfect heating in the cabin. It seems that folks at Nissan are not checking the fluids level when I take my Pathy for service. I guess I will have to be more careful with those people. Peace! :lmao:

How do you burp it?

Hmmm. Check religiously for leaks and continual coolant usage... pull the dip stick on the transmission, if its an automatic, and see if there's any coolant mixed with the ATF fluid.

• Like 1

How do you burp it?

If you Google - How-to: Purge Air from Coolant System Using Firewall T-fitting - there is a good write up with pictures on this Xterra forum I was a part of when I had mine - thenewx.org. It should be the same procedure for your year of Pathfinder.