How to change the thermostat on an R50 with a VG33

TutorN1

I'm writing this because I never could find any info on how to change JUST the thermostat.
First you will need:
A ratchet (I used a 1/4 drive)
A 10mm, 12mm, 14mm sockets
A 3" extension
Bucket or pan
High temp silicon or gasket
(Mine didn't have a gasket check for your specific model)
Time to do it in, it's a little bit involved. ?
First drop front skid plate, this will let you get to the bottom of radiator. Take cap off of radiator, then remove the drain plug on radiator. Catch antifreeze in bucket.
On top loosen the pulley on the top mounting plate, this is 14mm

36213C60-4687-403A-8E3E-8061FE46E713_zps

Once this is done remove belt, & set it to the side.
There are three places where it's held on, one nut on the right, two bolts on the left. These are 12mm.

BE7D911C-73C9-41F4-882A-EE0EAAD75E00_zps

This shows where they are, couldn't get a good picture. Once this is off undo the ac bracket to get it loose.
You should be able to see thermostat housing with line going to it. There is screw holding the line, remove it to free the line. Loosen the hose clamp by the thermostat housing, then pull the hose off. It will look like this

D24C6F03-3CA1-4E1B-99A4-0042D74F2EEB_zps

Once off there is three bolts holding the housing on these are 10mm. Take these out, and the housing should come loose. Once off it will look like this

44B9740E-7399-455B-B560-2CE2B09CACD5_zps

The thermostat will be held in the housing of the top picture, I didn't get a picture of it sorry.
Once out clean both halves. They will have silicone on both, scrape them clean.
Once done put a bead of the new silicone on.

7A3EA3C0-E1BC-495D-A5D9-8E5339237A40_zps

I used this

6B979272-97B5-4A75-BF43-5DD008E66D04_zps

Put your new thermostat in.
There is a copper tab on it, it needs to be on the top when you put it in.
When you go to put the housing back on it can only go one way, there is a tab here as well that will go to the top

06E34AF1-8191-4232-AD11-CB705FE59431_zps

You can see it on the very top of the housing.
Start to assemble finger tighten bolts back, and let set a few minuets. Then finish tightening bolt now.
Now reattach radiator hose to housing, and reassemble everything.
Once the bracket is back on put you belt back on, carefully tighten the bolt back on top. DON'T OVER TIGHTEN!! It will break.
Now refill your radiator with new 50/50 or your clean antifreeze.
Bled the air out of your system, and remount your skid plate.
Your done!!
Don't forget to clean up, and dispose of your fluid properly.
Hope this helps, & have fun?

• 1 year later...

Not sure if posting in the right place.

I need to change the small hose (anyone know what its even called?) that connects the water outlet housing to the upper radiator hose. Can this be done without removing the timing belt cover? anyone know where the instructions for this might be?

• 10 months later...

The pictures are gone so I'm adding some since I replaced my thermostat today. I took these as I was putting it back together so I didn't take as many pictures as I probably should have. It took me less than 2 hours and that is with my Grandpa stopping by to see what I was up to. I also waited to refill the coolant as the silicone I used had a recommended cure time. fyi yours may or may not be pre-equipped with the mud splashed engine bay.

So, follow the directions above. Remove the splash guard and drain the coolant, a 5 gallon bucket slid perfectly under my stock height rig. I found it easy to start in the engine bay by removing the upper radiator hose, the elbow of the intake and the radiator shroud. It gave me a ton of room and access to all of the bolts.

20160603_095321_zpsk9mqpjul.jpg

Next remove the guard over the belt on the pulley assembly. Not required but it gave me slightly more room to move in there. (Didn't get a picture of this back on before everything else was in the way.) Loosen the top pulley and slide the belt off and let it droop down out of the way. Remember the top bolt tightens and loosens the belt tension while the bolt on the pulley allows the pulley to slide. Loosen both.

Next remove the bolt for the AC line hanger. Then 3 bolts will remove this plate with the pulley on it.

20160603_093530_zpsfdwywrmx.jpg

Now you are free to get this hose off of the inlet that houses the thermostat.

20160603_093034_zpsurao22uh.jpg

Once that is removed. Undo the 3 bolts holding the inlet in place and pop it off. I had to lightly tap it to get the old silicone to pop free.

20160603_084928_zpsk13mdfer.jpg

Now you can remove the thermostat, clean up the 2 sides, and install a new thermostat with a fresh silicone bead.

20160603_090901_zpshmpnsbdp.jpg

Note the tab on the old thermostat is up and there are knobs on both sides of the housing that are both on the top side as well.

Reinstall everything in the reverse order and refill.

• Like 1