98 Nissan help with Pathfinder water-pump repair possible replacement

AndyAndAmy

There is no timing chain the engine uses a belt, and no, no oil will come out when you remove the cover. How many miles are on the truck? Has the timing belt ever been replaced? They should be replaced around 100K miles, If your doing the water pump good time to do the belt and thermostat also. Is it a 2 or 4 wheel drive pathfinder?

You may want to download the factory service manual from the garage section, it's free and very valuable to have.

Edited by ahardb0dy

It has around 150k miles; thanks for the info! I'd love to do all that but unfortunately money is beyond tight at the moment; the water pump is already going to cost more than we have...

I would seriously recommend not re using the timing belt if you can help it at all. If you re set the tension on it and it is not a fresh belt you greatly increase the chance of it breaking or stripping some teeth.

Thanks guys, I realize the issue I'm faced with but I have no clue how to make a few twentys out of a couple quarters... Hopefully in the next week I can afford to replace that as well