anyone ever had the left rear tire wear out?

fearkobe

I have a 95 pathfinder and been noticing my left rear tire wears out faster than the front. The tires on it before did the same thing. I don't peel out.maybe cause because the limited slip? How would you rotate them? Maybe criss cross them every other time? Thanks

Yeah, that's not normal, and puzzling for a vehicle with a solid rear axle. +1 on the pressure, if the tire place used the same rim when they swapped the tires, perhaps there's a crack in the rim or corrosion on the bead making the tire lose air and wear faster? I had a corroded bead on my right front tire but I don't do enough driving to notice any change in tire wear. I think the tire shop charged less than $20 to clean the rim and re-seat the tire.

LSD shouldn't do it, or if it did it would be on both sides.

Just to clarify, this tire's wearing faster than the one on the other side, correct? Not just faster than the one front tire?

according to my classes here at UTI the rear axle on most vehicles can fall out of alignment, it is rare for it to happen but it does happen, you might want to go in and get it checked out.

Edited by urimashe

Man, I run 40 in mine. Sides still squish out, but max is 50 so im not to high. If its the center, you might b to full. You might also have another problem, since its only one side and on a specific tire.

Ive never had a problem with my old tires nor my 31's, running just 7-10 under the max of my tire.

If different tires, when placed on the corner where the tire wears in the middle wears the same than it has to be a susp. problem, unless you just have too much air in the left corner even with different tires.

As for air pressure you should never run the max that the tire says, we have discussed this before, you need to either use the chalk method to determine air pressure, or approximate the pressure based on the total weight of the vehicle, ex. if the tire says 50PSI at 3500 lbs than if you times 3500 x 4 (tires) you get 14K lbs, the pathfinder weighs no where near 14K lbs, so no need to run 50 PSI.

When I mounted tires in the 4x4 shop most radial tires we filled to 32 PSI, of course as was said it depends on the tires, and the load range, and the weight of the vehicle.

All three of my tires are Winston winner LTs and the one that's wearing out is a good year Wrangler radial. I was told when i bought that good year Wrangler used that it was a spare tire. But it doesn't say that's a temporary use tire only. The Winston winner tires are loading range c 50 psi max and the good yr is its listing range b max psi is 35lbs. I'm going to check the air pressure in it tomorrow.

you put a line across the tire tread using chalk, take the truck for a drive going straight only, look at the chalk, if the chalk is worn away just in the middle there is too much air in the tire, if the chalk is wore away on the edges, too little air, repeat until the chalk wears off evenly across the tire tread and that is the pressure you should run. If the chalk wears away just on one side could need an alignment.

Did the chalk test and both rear tires had a inch on both side of the tires. Need to get new tires soon cause they are old has tons of tread just cracks in the treads. The good year tire has uneven tread in the middle. One part of that tires has hair line cracks in this while section on the tire.

Sounds like the Goodyear requires lower pressure than the Winstons, and so (even at the same pressure) is overinflated. The ideal fix would be matching tires, but airing down the Goodyear might work for while. Driving like that is a little sketch though.

You said this happened with your last set, was that set also mismatched?