95 nissan pathfinder auto Trans kicked out of overdrive

fearkobe

I have a 95 Nissan pathfinder and i was driving home last night on the hwy and noticed my rpm went to 3500 rpms. Felt like it went out of over drive. I press the over drive no change wHen i turned it off. I probably did a bad thing i put in to neutral and shut it off and it went back to normal. No high rpms. Drive it this morning for my paper route drive fine. I did post awhile ago about when i get of the freeway and stop at a stop sign it hesitates to move but once you shut it off start it back up shifts fine. I'm hoping i don't need a rebuilt anytime soon being my other car in the shop. I have 234k miles on the path. Thanks for reading my post.

Unless you've been doing a lot of towing, the fluid smells burned, and/or your last fluid change came out black and chunky I doubt the fluid's the issue. Wouldn't hurt to recheck the level (warm), apparently these act up if overfilled.

How's reverse holding up?

Limp mode for these transmissions is to lock into third, so if the trans computer saw something weird when you were in overdrive, it may have just shifted down into third by default. Then you pull off the highway, stop, and try to get going again, and it's still in third, which I think is probably the hesitation you're feeling. Restarting clears the code and you get gears again. I don't remember what all puts it into limp mode but I imagine anything from overheated fluid to slipping clutches to a loose connector could do it. IIRC a few guys have had theirs go into limp mode from doing doughnuts in the snow... the computer doesn't know wtf is going on and assumes the transmission is broken.

Because yours happens while cruising it does sound like something's wrong. The next time it acts up, before shutting it off (if you can), check it for codes (the procedure's in the service manual, basically the light in the Power Mode switch flashes to tell you what's up). Hopefully that'll point you to the circuit or component that's malfunctioning.

I have had same issue and yes, your tranny is freaking out over something when you hit highway speed and going into fail safe.

Hope you have better luck than me.

Have taken it to two indys and a dealer and no one can figure it out.

Last guy finally just changed the fluid and told me not to use overdrive. That works for me as I drive it just in the city for now and plan to replace vehicle soon anyway due to frame rust.

It shifts fine until you ask it to do more than 50-55, then it goes that fast for a bit and goes to fail safe.

Tried the Lucas in mine and it did nothing.

Someone else on the board called it worthless "gorilla snot.''

Had me laughing all day about that.

That was me. Lucas' transmission (and engine oil) additives are worthless. But Lucas does have their "own" oil and transmission fluids which are likely blended by Warren Performance Products (i.e. same as most store brands).

I asked because reverse is usually the first to fail in these transmissions. If it was slipping I'd suspect that overdrive might be slipping too and triggering limp mode. Could still be that but it could be lots of other things too. Any luck getting a code?

Live drive? I think mine sits somewhere around 2500 at 60 with the overdrive on, on level ground, closer to the 3500 when it downshifts to third (I don't spend much time going 60). Torque converter lockup factors into the RPM vs speed as well, but I don't understand it well enough to explain it.

Over drive will not engage until everything warms up, it says that in the owners manual

That is very true it does!

It is always good to let your vehicle warm up in the morning for at least a couple of minutes. 'jump in start it up and go' is not good long term for your poor truck!

You should let it warm up if it has been below freezing outside overnight!

I wait for the idle to go down. My gauge is only 1/4 when i go up hills its almost half way up it was going too almost 3/4 just going up hills. 1/4 is where it stays at on flat driving.