Difficulty lvl of swapping Manual for Auto?

mikestewart395

The big difficulty is the computer and wiring. Meaning if you got a donor you can rip everything out and it should fit right in, might be a pain and confusing just label and photos and it shouldn't be terrible. I have done an auto to standard swap I left everything in but I unplugged close to 20 - 25 wires and only used 4 of them after. And you'll also need the torque converter (I think that's what it is called) and the gut there. Center consol And cross member! I was the idiot who scrapped the wrong one lol trip to the wreckers!

My question is, why? Automatic is nice for wheeling but the older nissan autos are close to garbage... Unless you install and after market trans cooler/temp gauge so as soon as it goes above normal you can kill it, ill give the autos that :lol: after going threw 2 in less than a year, you see my anger lol

Anyways, it isn't terrible from 1-10 I'd say 6 it'll take a bit tho

Edited by cvdloc

The wiring isn't that bad three or four plugs to rewire on the harness but a donor vehicle would be really really nice to have. If you don't have that then make sure you read up on what people take out for the manual swap so you know what you need to put back in.

If memory serves you would need a

1. Tranny computer all the wiring from that (look under driver side seat)
  2. The key lock in the ignition
  3. Harness from the tranny to the shifter
  4. Harness from tranny to engine bay
  5. Compatible speed sensor yours being an 88 would have a mechanical speed sensor i think you can take yours and put it on a newer automatic but you may want better confirmation than that.
  6. You're going to have to do something about the clutch pedal and neutral safety switches and interlock switches
  7. There is a switch for changing something about how the tranny shifts to the left of the steering column don't know if you need that or not but its there.

Good luck hope that gets your started

Edited by ejin4499

I was thinking of swapping simply because I drive one hour to work everyday, 6 days a week, city traffic.I forget the exact number but it was close to 35 red lights. Clutch shift clutch shift clutch shift.........automatic just seemed like a dream lol

Simple thing would be to sell it and buy another. It's just hard because I am a bit attached. It is a bucket of rust but it has a lot of history. It was an Airborne vehicle doing 4 years in Germany, 2 years in Italy. In my spare time I lovingly patch the floor panels, hammer some loose rust and add more bondo. I don't know. Maybe I will paint it and sell it.

Don't sell your friend just cause someone said the project might be difficult. Sell it cause your done and you want to move on to something else.

I second that. If it's worth it to you by all means go for it. You can't put a price on history.

No offence, but on a scale of "not worth it" this one is probably at the top.
It would become the epitome of "I wish I never started this project"

Going auto to manual isn't that bad because it's mostly removing things.

Going from manual to auto would be awful because there are so many things to add.

torque converter, flex plate, transmission cooler, lines, trans computer, wiring, center console, etc etc.

I believe it would consume a lot of your valuable time, cost a lot more money than you expect, and, in the end, your vehicle now has a lower resale value.