My JDM Projectors ARRIVED!

So, after about of a month of waiting, my Nissan Terrano TR50 JDM XENON Projectors came in today.

Thanks to Jesse Streeter for being so helpful, answering all of my stupid little questions, and being all around a very nice dude.

And while everything looked great, i did have one little tab broken, appears to be some sort of mounting bracket, anyone have any good suggestions for a plastic repair glue?

11825647183_4c847a489c_b.jpg

The yellowish one appears to be the roughest out of all of items, that is the one with the broken tab. The drivers side is practically new, i cant find a single fault with it. But as far as the side markers (Which are different that the USDM side markers) they are MINT, the little tape on the drivers side, is denoting the smallest of marks, I.E. not noticeable unless you are looking for it.

11826149706_fb0653abb9_b.jpg

11825349185_9346167455_b.jpg

And the guy who made it all happen!

11826171416_42967f199c_b.jpg

Finally, if you couldn't tell, this is from the updated model, so once i get some capital, ill be searching out fenders, hoods, and everything else i need to do the conversion.

Already have a really rough rear bumper. Working on it here and there.

If you guys find black, or really decent shape updated body panels around, let me know, ill try and buy them, cant for a little while though.. :angry:

-Kyle

EDIT:

I forgot to mention, i'm after the auto leveling switch, the one i'm after came in the 03-05 Infinti Q45, its left of the steering wheel, next to the VDC switch, if on the off chance someone finds one of these switches, let me know, they are a HUGE PAIN to find with the harness, and im left with trying to get a switch from Japan (more expensive than i would want, considering the switch is available here)

Edited by ferrariowner123
  • Like 1

Headlights look sweet! Nice find! Nice rockets in the bg as well :aok:

Thanks, cant wait to install them, and rockets? the Rossignols? they were nice, look a little higher up, lol and BG's haven't seen snow this year, cruddy season.

Ahh yeah! Going for the facelift and then some. I can't wait to see the results.

So stoked!!

Just JB Weld that guy back on. Do it right and you'll never know!

Really? JB works on this sort of thing? I was expecting to find some 3M something or other.

what does the auto leveling switch do?

Ahh, i need to stop calling it that. Its not an auto leveling switch, but like the updated model QX4's, the switch allows for on the fly adjustment of the headlight aim, looks like this.

$_3.JPG

Just need to find the switch and then figure out the wiring....

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

To repair that piece, and since it is used for mounting, I wouldn't trust glue.

If I see that correctly and depending on how thick the plastic of the housing is, I would remove the broken piece of plastic, drill out the threads on the mounting bracket, drill into the housing and use a self tapping sheet metal screw to hold it on, or install a threaded insert for a machine screw; you might have to use a washer or two to maintain the same installed height.

Of course, I can't see the other side/inside of the housing so I don't know if this would be.

The only other option would be to clean everything off well with alcohol, and then fill everything (the underside of the broken bracket holder, and the base it broke from) with epoxy, clamp or weight it in place securely and let it cure completely.

B

Ahh, i need to stop calling it that. Its not an auto leveling switch, but like the updated model QX4's, the switch allows for on the fly adjustment of the headlight aim, looks like this.

$_3.JPG

Just need to find the switch and then figure out the wiring....

-Kyle

Allows you to adjust headlight aim depending on load, which is nice. One of these is in my friends 2005 Subaru STi. So possibly in other Subaru models as well, I imagine they all work the same, so it allows you to broaden your search outside of just Nissan vehicles.

Awesome, may I ask how much $$$ was required?

Alot more than i had initially thought...

My broker assumed that i wanted fast air shipping, and that was $150 (was crazy fast, only took a 5 business days), i asked if he could put it on the slow boat, and save about $80, but he already had the packaged up, and he would have to repackage them, so i just said leave it, didn't want to be the pedantic customer.

But all said and done it was 53,853 yen, or $513, but again, shipping was alot.

I also had to track down a side marker because one of them didn't come with it,(and the JDM side markers are different than the USDM lights) and i was only able to find 1 for the side i needed so regardless of price, i needed it.

But each light was around $110, and the side marker was like $25. Its getting it over here and paying fees is the expensive part. and i'm still not done, i need to track some plugs because i got too excited and forgot to check to make sure they came with that, so i need to find those. Happily, i found that 2 of the 3 plugs i need, are shared with the Silvia S15, its the adjustment plug is whats going to be REALLY hard to find, and this stupid switch, i really want to the landscape mounted one with the knob (the one i pictured), so i can have it in one of the blanks on my left hand side of the wheel. But I've been reading on the S15 forums, alot of the guys say they don't ever use it.

On top of that, I'm unemployed now, and need to save my money, but so far, i have or have found everything i need to make the lights work in my car, just not adjustable.

Since to repair that piece, and since it is used for mounting, I wouldn't trust glue.

If I see that correctly and depending on how thick the plastic of the housing is, I would remove the broken piece of plastic, drill out the threads on the mounting bracket, drill into the housing and use a self tapping sheet metal screw to hold it on, or install a threaded insert for a machine screw; you might have to use a washer or two to maintain the same installed height.

Of course, I can't see the other side/inside of the housing so I don't know if this would be.

The only other option would be to clean everything off well with alcohol, and then fill everything (the underside of the broken bracket holder, and the base it broke from) with epoxy, clamp or weight it in place securely and let it cure completely.

B

Well, its on the bottom of the light, there are 4 other places that this is going to be supported, and carry this heavy thing, because it HEAVY.

And while i think the plastic is the same thickness as everything else, i really wouldn't want to drill into the housing. If i can get my money back from insurance, i may end up just buying another projector from japan, and get all of the plugs i need at the same time. But well see, i still need to get down to the Post office, and file an international claim, which i am dreading.

Allows you to adjust headlight aim depending on load, which is nice. One of these is in my friends 2005 Subaru STi. So possibly in other Subaru models as well, I imagine they all work the same, so it allows you to broaden your search outside of just Nissan vehicles.

Yeah, i'm finding more and more cars which use the adjustment, but what i think may be a problem is most of these cars with the adjustment get signal based on resistance (or load as you mentioned), not on a trigger point, like at position one it send signal out of one wire, position two sends an individual signal and so, which i think my headlights are, because on the S15's and G20's they only have 1 wire that control the motors height, and have a total of 3 plugs coming out of the harness that control the motors, ground, parking lights, and adjustment. But my harness has 6 wires going to the motor. So i'm going to have to either get a hold of a wiring diagram for the JDM Terranos (no idea on how to do that), and see how the plug to headlight is wired. or manually start tapping wires and see if anything happens.

Does anyone know a safe way to de-pin something? in order to figure out what wire does what?

Thanks for the kind words and help guys, i'm going to post up pictures the plugs i need and see if anyone can maybe find an alliterative car to where i can source these plugs. Because S15 parts are really hard (and pricey) to get a hold of.

-Kyle

B's got the right idea on putting the tab back in. Clean w/alcohol, rough up the area around the break with coarse sandpaper or something, then apply epoxy/JB. I've had some luck saturating strips of paper towel with epoxy and applying that over joints (poor man's fiberglass). Another thing which works quite well (and sets quickly) is to use regular super glue, then dust baking soda over the top of it. Then apply more glue, more BS, etc until you've got a nice blob over the break. It's a little brittle but quite strong otherwise. I used superglue and sawdust (same idea) to fix the grille on mine and it seems to be holding up. It's not holding much weight, though.

I googled 'terrano wiring diagram' and found this: :clickdalink: I didn't go through the whole thing (and I don't know what year it's for) but the aiming switch looked right.

Stupid edit thing timed out...

Took a closer look and that link appears to be for a standard system. However...

:clickdalink:This looks like an incomplete scan of an EL section but it's got a segment on Zenon headlights.

:clickdalink:Vague info from someone who did it on a QX4--might be a lead if nothing else?

Dunno, hope something in there helps.

If you have to depin manually, you could start with an ohmmeter before testing on 12v. From what little I understand of HIDs I imagine you'd be able to tell pretty quickly what's HID (no current flow, since the tester puts out too low of voltage to make the arc) and what's not (if the aiming stuff uses regular motors or solenoids it'll show continuity). I doubt there's much danger of frying stuff if you test with power right off the bat but if you've got a general idea of what'll do what, at least you'll know what to look for (or what not look directly into).

MAN I OWE YOU A BEER!! That it exactly what i need, its answers all of the hard questions!! and even tells me how to wire them up!!!

I've discovered that the JDM "Hawk eye" and "bug eye" STI WRX's came with the what looks to be identical to the switch i need, just different wire colors. But i know that it will fit in the slots on the pathfinder, just not the landscape ones. Its just going to be really, really hard to find these plugs and harness, i'm contemplating just having my broker just get someone to give me the entire headlight harness off a wreck terrano. But the Subaru guys have been able to get all of the items left i need to find.

I have a buddy going to japan in a few days, hopefully he'll have time to find some stuff for me...

As far getting it repaired, i'm going to try and get paid out from insurance and get another one, possibly, well have to see how everything plays out.. i found the cheaper ones that were complete...

-Kyle

I've discovered that the JDM "Hawk eye" and "bug eye" STI WRX's came with the what looks to be identical to the switch i need, just different wire colors.

-Kyle

Hawk eye's are 06-07 and the bug eye's are 02-03. My friends was a "blob" or "peanut" eye and those are 04-05. I image they all have the same switch. Subaru is even more of a Lego vehicle than Nissan. I mean, they only have four models after all ;)

Hawk eye's are 06-07 and the bug eye's are 02-03. My friends was a "blob" or "peanut" eye and those are 04-05. I image they all have the same switch. Subaru is even more of a Lego vehicle than Nissan. I mean, they only have four models after all ;)

You are correct, its the bug eyes through peanuts that im fairly sure have the switch, and the o4-05 USDM STI's have the leveling feature, which means i don't have to scramble to JDM land to find what i need.

Do you know of any good places other than NASIOC to find wrecked STI peanuts?

-Kyle

I googled 'terrano wiring diagram' and found this: :clickdalink: I didn't go through the whole thing (and I don't know what year it's for) but the aiming switch looked right.

Thought i would mention this as well,

Through that link i was able to get back to the host site, its a Russian Nissan off road site, dedicated to the Patrol, Pathfinder, Patrol, Safari, Terrano and other Nissan/Datsun cars.

But at any rate, for anyone in the future looking for the Terrano (international spec pathfinder) manuals, they host them here...

http://terranoirk.ru/man/

-Kyle

• Like 1

Wow, what an ordeal, make sure to take pics along the way. I'd love to convert to those lights, but damn if they weren't so $$$!

You just have to wait for the right pair to come up, one that comes with pig tails, corner lights and in generally good condition. i sort of did half, and half, one light came with the side marker, but not pig tails, and the other came with pig tails but no corner light, DOH!!

This website has been super helpful for navigating a website not originally in English...http://www.hayatonka.com/yahoolinks.html

Everything you could just about want from japan you'll find on yahoo auctions, for whatever reason they like this more than they like eBay....

But here are two lights for sale, $83 each, just need side markers and pig tails...

http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p375679740

http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c435319457

But i will for sure be documenting my progress when i get around the conversion, but its fairly straight forward for getting the lights themselves to work, its this leveling stuff that's pushing it into uncharted territory.

-Kyle

Man those headlights are sick..... seriously nice man. Things like these sometimes make me wish I had a second gen R50. Then I look at my WD21 and change my mind. lol

I am super jealous of the lumens you will be emitting there, though!

Best I can find for my 93 is some clear housings with reflectors and a bi-xenon HID kit, got the HIDs but dont want to install them until I get the proper housings...

Man those headlights are sick..... seriously nice man. Things like these sometimes make me wish I had a second gen R50. Then I look at my WD21 and change my mind. lol

I am super jealous of the lumens you will be emitting there, though!

Best I can find for my 93 is some clear housings with reflectors and a bi-xenon HID kit, got the HIDs but dont want to install them until I get the proper housings...

Thanks man. You wouldn't be the first to switch up. Lol

But I thank you for not putting HID'S into a halogen housing. You not Making high intensity discharges(HID'S) not hey I'm a dickhead. Hate it when people do that...

But a lot of the 240 people do the same type of thing, I would imagine it's the same procedure...

-Kyle

You are correct, its the bug eyes through peanuts that im fairly sure have the switch, and the o4-05 USDM STI's have the leveling feature, which means i don't have to scramble to JDM land to find what i need.

Do you know of any good places other than NASIOC to find wrecked STI peanuts?

-Kyle

NASIOC is the biggest, and your best bet for part outs.

NASIOC is the biggest, and your best bet for part outs.

Good to know, i just started searching the full part out section, must have found at-least a dozen 04-05 STI's being parted. I cant believe that there are that many people doing that, i find it really hard to believe that they are worth so much in parts...

But i think i might have a guy who will be able to get me a switch, plus the harness and possibly the leveling plug i need.

-Kyle

I was looking into doing the JDM projectors too for my 99.5+ Pathfinder and I noticed that the projectors headlights are a little bit wider than the stock headlight. I believe you need to buy the JDM corner lights as well since they're smaller.

I was looking into doing the JDM projectors too for my 99.5+ Pathfinder and I noticed that the projectors headlights are a little bit wider than the stock headlight. I believe you need to buy the JDM corner lights as well since they're smaller.

You are correct, i did buy JDM side markers, they also incorporate "city lights" in the marker as well. Going to try and make those work as DRL's.

-Kyle