Air Injection Valve (AIV)

I take it you are looking for the round one? This part is still available for the VG30i

PART NUMBER: 14812-12G15

description: CASE-PAIR

$157.35 (nissan list: $209.80)

If you need the rectangular one it is also still available:

PART NUMBER: 14812-12G12

DESCRIPTION: CASE ASMY

$140.11 (NISSAN LIST: $186.86)

don't know about emissions but on my 87 hardbody I had it all eliminated for a while, the metal tube that runs down to the cat, and the metal tube coming off the exhaust manifold, removed the tube and than cut it, left about an inch from where it came off the manifold, crimped the tube in a vise and we brazed the end, than re-installed it, all that stuff on the inner fender including the round part with the filter in it was removed/ Later on put everything back, my 87 never passed emission testing in NY even after putting it all back and with a new cat.

I would be surprised if your vehicle passed emissions inspection without it. Without it working properly you should show high hydrocarbons at idle and low speeds in the exhaust with the tester-sniffer.

In addition, any visual inspection (if done) would fail without the emissions equipment on the truck.

Edited by Alkorahil

I got it to squeak through Oregon emissions testing three times with rotted out AIV components. This forth time is proving to be difficult. I actually replaced the charcoal canister and also AIV component closest to the front since the last time I passed.

I ended up cancelling out the filter, i used heater hose and attached it to where the reed valves were and then cut off the mount for the bracket on the other side and put the heater hose to that. basically put heater hose where the filter was.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI, fram ca6851 is a direct fit for the filter for anyone interested in retaining the filter/ aiv setup. It is available through a few online retailers for about twenty dollars. I just ordered one because I couldn't resist tearing the AIV setup apart when I went to check and replace the coil on mine... Haha

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Yuck, my AIV and case are in terrible shape. The case has a hole in the top of it and makes a ticking noise, and the AIV round box itself is rusted to all hell out the bottom and took out part of the wheel well with it.

I'm really not in the mood for spending more money on this truck, but the truck kind of stinks of exhaust at idle. Cant find a good replacement, and seeing even Rob's price makes me cringe so I'm going to be giving the bypass/capping method a go and report back.

Yeah, I would have done the same but I unfortunately have to pass emissions eventually... Haha... The juices the system dripped out jacked up my coil brackets and coil as well. Waiting for a break in the weather to hit the junkyard for replacements.

Good luck at a junk yard, nothing there is old enough, haven't found anything with a throttle body on it, which i need

Yea, this is sadly the case I've run into here. Living on an island, I dont have the largest selection of parts. Even if I did find one, I almost 100% guarantee its going to be jacked up like mine. Are all the 89's california models, or did I just get unlucky with this extra junk under the hood (CA emissions sticker)?

Being in florida I think your smog exempt. The air pump only works at idle anyway. I eliminated mine when it rusted through.

Just unplug it from the connector, remove it and the other weird thing thing down low and cap off all the places it was plumbed to.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to yanking out that cancer in my engine. Looks like the funny guy that owned this car before me tried to fix this up at one point (and the rust problem that it caused).

7_zps0af0d3b3.jpg

Red arrows showing removed AIV components

1_zps05026582.jpg

After unbolting and removing the tubing, these two metal pipes and a vacuum line should be capped. I used some bypass cap kit from oreilly.

5_zpsd8a325d5.jpg

All junk out of the engine bay. The lower AIV component had a hole in it too, not just the main filter part.

6_zpsbe5e7ed2.jpg

Capped, even though the rubber cap fits tightly, I put the hose clamp back on it just in case. Not sure what kind of pressure/vacuum these guys are under, just to be on the safe side. I just put a little rubber plug in the left over vacuum line to seal it off that was attached to the upper AIV component.

8_zps300d3b48.jpg

I left the bracket for the lower component attached to the car, and removed the entire upper bracket. I might use that to attach something later in the future. Who knows? I also zip-tied the metal hoses to the most secure thing next to them so they dont clang around and wobble freely.

I've got an auto trans, and when I would let off the gas at speed, the RPMs would wobble back and forth when the needle dropped and you could hear the engine kind of pulsating like you get when there is a vacuum leak. After capping these guys off, no more pulsating RPMs, but the RPMs do drop rather quickly when letting off the gas. All smooth though, and is a very noticeable improvement in daily driving.

• Like 1

I removed all that when I had my old 87 hardbody including the metal pipe that runs down to the cat, we took the pipe out of the exhaust manifold, cut it leaving about an inch of pipe out of the nut, crimped it in a vise than brazed it closed.

I also was running a test pipe for a while too until I put a high flow cat in.

Edited by ahardb0dy

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Does anybody have a good reason to leave these in? I have an 87 and I could use any improvements in the driving that I can get, will this help my gas Milage or responsiveness? If emissions are the only thing this thing helps I think I can do without but if it affects performance I would like it in.

Nope. Killed mine off when I put headers in. I plugged the pipe from the CAT in the engine bay. I did gain a little MPGs, maybe 0.5 to 1MPG HWY with the headers and no AIV or EGR. The biggest thing was a smoother idle. You might bet better responsivemess too. I cannot confirm as mine was pulled when headers went it which resulted in much more power, better MPG and much better responsiveness.

AJ503

I thought anything older than 20 years was DEQ exempt in Oregon.

I just moved to the Medford area and I still have not registered my 91 pathfinder here yet. Wondering what I am going to have to go through to get it registered.

Any input would be helpful.