How to build a winch bumper

Elie

where those dimensions you promised? ;)

Doh, busted! You aren't married, are you? :tongue:

Between cooking, charcuterie, yard work, planting, taxes and the honey do list, I'm behind schedule. I have taken 1/2 of the measurements and all of the pictures anyone should need, I just need to CAD it now, and finish up. The good news is it is going to be raining here for a while, so that frees me up to do inside stuff. Inside the garage. Bear with me, I just need a few more days. I have not forsaken you, here is the proof, ARB bondage! :D

024_zpsdf9db275.jpg

:scratchhead: Vector who? Lol! Gone made it all complicated!

You don't need measurements if your building your own, just make it look like the pictures.

I found the pics I had taken of mine a few years back. The KMA bumper is made in two pieces, the bumper and the mounting brackets. I'm sure they build a generic bumper and then mounts for a specific vehicle. The two curved mounting brackets bolt where the tow hook bolted up and the bumper sits on top and is bolted to the brackets with four half inch bolts.

James

I've orked with engineers too long... :D

Making it a 3 piece bolt together would make it a lot easier to fab up! I'd want the pieces to interlock somehow, not horizontal sections bolted together though.

Regardless, I'll have dimensions very shortly; the majority of the work is done, and I can't forget about it because it is hanging in my garage!

B

Doh, busted! You aren't married, are you? :tongue:

Between cooking, charcuterie, yard work, planting, taxes and the honey do list, I'm behind schedule. I have taken 1/2 of the measurements and all of the pictures anyone should need, I just need to CAD it now, and finish up. The good news is it is going to be raining here for a while, so that frees me up to do inside stuff. Inside the garage. Bear with me, I just need a few more days. I have not forsaken you, here is the proof, ARB bondage! :D

024_zpsdf9db275.jpg

I've orked with engineers too long... :D

Making it a 3 piece bolt together would make it a lot easier to fab up! I'd want the pieces to interlock somehow, not horizontal sections bolted together though.

Regardless, I'll have dimensions very shortly; the majority of the work is done, and I can't forget about it because it is hanging in my garage!

B

HAHAHAHA :rofl: You got me on the married part. Does Engaged count Cause i still get the famous

"Honey could you get your tools out of the kitchen"

"YES DEAR! :suicide: "

No Worries though bud i totally get it 100% (And to be honest i have to find my CAD software anyways haha) And now that you actually showed me full picture of the bumper im anxious as all hell to start drawing up your measurements from the ARB to my design (Want the bumper to wrap around to tire wells)

Is the part I pointed to in the pic below just a spacer? And this bumper in your pics was not modified for a body lift correct?

4tronl.jpg

Yes that's just a spacer and my truck has no body lift. I don't think KMA had ever built one of these for a pathfinder with no body lift because without the spacers the bumper was pushing up on the grill. The brackets didn't clear the radiator support either, I had to knock small dents in it. For a body lift they use longer mounting brackets.

James

HAHAHAHA :rofl: You got me on the married part. Does Engaged count Cause i still get the famous

"Honey could you get your tools out of the kitchen"

"YES DEAR! :suicide: "

No Worries though bud i totally get it 100% (And to be honest i have to find my CAD software anyways haha) And now that you actually showed me full picture of the bumper im anxious as all hell to start drawing up your measurements from the ARB to my design (Want the bumper to wrap around to tire wells)

Yeah, it counts, but you are just starting to be 'trained'. It gets worse, trust me! Word of advice, draw a line at a reasonable compromise and do not waver! Any lost ground will not be regained... :tongue:

I'm going to use the CAD to make dimensioned prints so you'll only need CAD if that is how you plan to design on your end. I still favor the pen/bar napkin approach. :D

B

Keeping an eye on this thread now too. Very interested in eventually getting a winch and doing some light off-roading. Seems like a waste after all the work being put into her to just drive her on the pavement. :)

• Like 1

Especially with all the work you have done.whew you have my symphony, get to a chance try going to harbor freight, for simple winches they have 9 & 12k winches that are very reasonable prices. I spent $150 for the 12k model, $20 mounting plate and $10 for the wireless remote. I had coupons from different truck magazine's that helps keep costs down also. Have fun though.

^From a man who knows! :D

you make it sound like gorilla warfare hahaha

Even Worse! You have to realize that the enemy has no care for, or possibly even comprehension of such things as logic, consistency, rationality, fairness, quarter given, give and take, shared blame or truces. You might as well be battling the undead...

I highly recommend practicing key strategies such as selective hearing, feigning ignorance/stupidity, mimicing snoring while awake, and always keeping a vehicle clear and pointing out of the driveway while keeping the key on your person at all times, even in the shower...

It isn't? I would never be able to break down a couple of carburetors out on the kitchen table now (lost ground).... :) Then sure... =)

Sure you could, but would it be worth it?

B

Ok, so the good news is that I've found and installed the CAD today and got started on the drawings. The bad news is that after 2 years of not using it, I've become rather incompetent so this might take a while... :D

Actually, it is coming back to me fairly quickly after a shakey start, but after 2 hours of work, I recalled one key technique just a moment too late: Make sure you save the files often, because when the program crashes you'll lose everything! :lol:

It is ok, that was just the learning curve and it will only take me about 20 minutes to get back to where I was. I'll post the mounting information first, and then work my way up the rest of the bumper. A good refresher course... :aok:

B

Ok, this is how far I've gotten so far. :rolleyes:

winchmount7-mounttab-crossbar-b_zps05d7e

winchmount7-mounttab-crossbar_zps576eb21

I'm stuck at trying to get the stupid software to mirror the solids about centerline, but at this point I'm wondering if the old POS code even supports it! P...

Bad comes to worse, I can either model a 1/2 bumper and you can just X2, or I can start over, again. Anyway, I'm pissed and need to walk away from it for a bit.

At least I can dimension from this so it isn't a total loss...

B

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this is how far I've gotten so far. :rolleyes:

winchmount7-mounttab-crossbar-b_zps05d7e

winchmount7-mounttab-crossbar_zps576eb21

I'm stuck at trying to get the stupid software to mirror the solids about centerline, but at this point I'm wondering if the old POS code even supports it! P...

Bad comes to worse, I can either model a 1/2 bumper and you can just X2, or I can start over, again. Anyway, I'm pissed and need to walk away from it for a bit.

At least I can dimension from this so it isn't a total loss...

B

These dimension came out awesome!! I'm impressed haha youd put me to complete shame! but i believe if you press on there where it labels which plane is which... i believe you can put the measurement on the picture itself. And dont get frustrated!! Given the detail in those dimensions.... id say your pretty damn good at CAD haha.

Kinda used it at times to make a living for 10-15 years, but I'm really just a hack. No training, classes, etc just figuring it out under pressure as need.

I've already decided I will start over to do it right (both sides, not just 1/2 of it). It won't be too hard now that I remember a lot and am familiar with the numbers. I'll add the bumper clearances and the upper mounts as well and then actually dimension it like a print (I do know how ;) ). I should get it done soon so I can reinstall it so I'll shoot for by the end of the week.

B

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi!

Thanks to yhis tread i finally got around to start building a new front bumper for my Terrano.

Thanks for posting those pictures Precice1!!!

I am using the same mounting points as the ARB bumper.

For the lower M10 monting pionts i have used 10x60mm steel bars.

I am also using the "ears" under the frame, and the original front bumper brackets as mounting points.

I will also bolt a 5mm steel plate between the new recovery points as skid plate, hopefully it will also take some of the load...

What do uou think? will it hold up???

Left to do:

Some testpulls and some finishing touches and paint.

Before mounting a winch.

11699072_430590143789897_495761574627165

• Like 1