How to build a winch bumper

Elie

• 1 month later...

I purchased a bumper from these guys long before they changed their name. They used to be called Kennesaw Mountain Accessories.

www.tacticalarmorgroup.com/TAG-Bumper-Store/Wincher-Nissan-Pathfinder-1987-1995

Hi I have a 95 pathfinder and I am searching for a custom made winch bumper design if anyone can help

junk yard if your lucky...I'm finding though it's most likely that it will need to be a custom built job. I have heard that some Toyota and Jeep bumpers will fit with modification's also the hardbody ARB bumper with dome mod's. I just happen to be in same situation, so I've been looking into the options. P...

I purchased a bumper from these guys long before they changed their name. They used to be called Kennesaw Mountain Accessories.

www.tacticalarmorgroup.com/TAG-Bumper-Store/Wincher-Nissan-Pathfinder-1987-1995

I hate these guys, they gave me the runarround for months and then sent me a lump of crap to the wrong address.

I wound up building my own using their design but I added attachment points to beef it up.

I also added quality wormanship for having pride in what I do.

Search the boards here, you will find the nightmare I had to deal with.

^ yeah, I remember that... :doh:

I'm 1-2 weeks away from pulling my ARB winch bull bumper guard monster to put the winch in it. I'm long over due to take some measurements when I do, and I'll CAD them up and post files/prints.

It won't be a rip off copy of the manufacturer, more like basic mounting/fitment dimensions that will be a big help, especially if you build from the mounts on up (due to the different lift/bumper configurations).

I still have to rig a chain hoist point in the garage ceiling... I'll chime back in one week from now.

B

• Like 1

^ I'd like to see those when you get them.

Been wanting to build one but have had so many ideas. Beefing for the winch and multi attach points(to frame). The rear is another problem, I want the tow hitch in the bumper and I have so many ideas. :wacko:

^ yeah, I remember that... :doh:

I'm 1-2 weeks away from pulling my ARB winch bull bumper guard monster to put the winch in it. I'm long over due to take some measurements when I do, and I'll CAD them up and post files/prints.

It won't be a rip off copy of the manufacturer, more like basic mounting/fitment dimensions that will be a big help, especially if you build from the mounts on up (due to the different lift/bumper configurations).

I still have to rig a chain hoist point in the garage ceiling... I'll chime back in one week from now.

B

Hit me up when you do that. I'd love to get a closer look at how that whole thing goes together.

I hate these guys, they gave me the runarround for months and then sent me a lump of crap to the wrong address.

I wound up building my own using their design but I added attachment points to beef it up.

I also added quality wormanship for having pride in what I do.

Search the boards here, you will find the nightmare I had to deal with.

Luckily the problems I had with KMA was very small compared to a lot of people. They created so many problems with a lot of people, they changed their name. This forum doesn't allow you to copy HTML links????? I had to type the entire address in there.

Anyways, I'm hoping the OP will be able to use the photos to help him build a bumper.

Precise if you really could rip the bumper off your rig and make up some CAD dimension you would be my SAVIOR :lmao: !! I have the welder and am ready to build it im just HORRIBLE with the geometric design :suicide: ! PLEASE HELP THE FORUM OUT!!

Has anyone dealt with adventure accessories? I'm seeing that they are advertising the ARB bumper for the wd21 as available, and SteeevO used to have them linked to his site. I might try to order one ???

Edited by Nissanland

^ I'd like to see those when you get them.

Been wanting to build one but have had so many ideas. Beefing for the winch and multi attach points(to frame). The rear is another problem, I want the tow hitch in the bumper and I have so many ideas. :wacko:

Hit me up when you do that. I'd love to get a closer look at how that whole thing goes together.

Precise if you really could rip the bumper off your rig and make up some CAD dimension you would be my SAVIOR :lmao: !! I have the welder and am ready to build it im just HORRIBLE with the geometric design :suicide: ! PLEASE HELP THE FORUM OUT!!

Ok, 1/2 way there as promised... :aok:

061_zps895cbf78.jpg

062-Copy_zps1a17eba0.jpg

There are those pesky mounts!

I have the bumper kicked up so the flat mounting surface is level and everything else will go off of that since that is probably the easiest was to build it. I probably won't get to taking measurements until Monday and then I get to see how well I remember my CAD skills, or where I put the software... :rolleyes:

I'm hoping to have a basic mount design by the end of the week with the rest of the of it to follow shortly.

I'm realy digging the hoist, it makes things sooo much easier!

B

Thanks!

Great to see the mounting point design.

Do you think the stock bumper brackets can be reused to weld on a custom winch bumper as upper mounting points?

I will be posting actual dimensions shortly.

Yes, the upper mounts in the second picture bolt directly to the stock bumper bracket mounts. It would be easy and a good idea to reinforce those stock mounts. The real strength is from the lower mounts though, where it bolts to the tow hook mounts and the tie down points.

B

Hey B. How much does that bumper wght? I know it's heavy, how much more did you have to turn your torsion bars to keep the front up? I'm just trying to plan for the wght before I have the alignment done.

I'll see if I can get a weight for you, but just off hand, I'd have to say F-ing heavy.

It will basically weight the same as

ARB Deluxe Bar Nissan Pickup 1991-97 (3438050)

I used the stock T-bars with the bumper without issue but I can't tell you how much I had to crank the T-bars, if at all. I do have Sway-Away bars to install when I install the winch, another 100lbs... :rolleyes:

B

Thanks!

Great to see the mounting point design.

Do you think the stock bumper brackets can be reused to weld on a custom winch bumper as upper mounting points?

I used the stock bumper brackets. As B said most of the support comes from where it bolts to the tow hook location but I figured without some support up higher in line with the winch it would act as a lever and pull down on the frame. The KMA bumper comes with just blank tabs where the factory bumper mounts go, so I bolted the factory brackets in place and drilled a couple of holes through each bracket into the blank tabs on the bumper. I had a picture somewhere but can't find it.

James

^ Would you say those are pretty strong. If I made my own, I would like if I could still utilize those mounts and some how mount or bolt to them for upper supports.

I don't think they are strong enough to hold most of the pull of the winch. Just think of them as a support bracket not a mount. I have a video somewhere here where I drug the whole truck with the winch, the bumper didn't flex at all. I think without the original bumper brackets bolted to the top of the bumper it would have wanted to flex down a little.

James

^Agreed.

I used the stock bumper brackets. As B said most of the support comes from where it bolts to the tow hook location but I figured without some support up higher in line with the winch it would act as a lever and pull down on the frame. The KMA bumper comes with just blank tabs where the factory bumper mounts go, so I bolted the factory brackets in place and drilled a couple of holes through each bracket into the blank tabs on the bumper. I had a picture somewhere but can't find it.

James

Yep, the side view of the mounts, angle and line pull would look something like _/- so any forward tension would create vector forces downward in a ratio equal to the tangent of the angle, IIRC. It's been a while since I've done engineering/ FEA work...

The top mounts are also attached to the frame, really just formed pieces that rise up from the outside of the frame rails, but they provide a second point of attachment, spreading out the load over a larger portion of the frame and help keep the bumper from flexing or pivoting. I would plan on incorporating them, it shouldn't be hard.

B

• 2 weeks later...

I will be posting actual dimensions shortly.

Yes, the upper mounts in the second picture bolt directly to the stock bumper bracket mounts. It would be easy and a good idea to reinforce those stock mounts. The real strength is from the lower mounts though, where it bolts to the tow hook mounts and the tie down points.

B

where those dimensions you promised?;)

^Agreed.

Yep, the side view of the mounts, angle and line pull would look something like _/- so any forward tension would create vector forces downward in a ratio equal to the tangent of the angle, IIRC. It's been a while since I've done engineering/ FEA work...

The top mounts are also attached to the frame, really just formed pieces that rise up from the outside of the frame rails, but they provide a second point of attachment, spreading out the load over a larger portion of the frame and help keep the bumper from flexing or pivoting. I would plan on incorporating them, it shouldn't be hard.

B

:scratchhead: Vector who? Lol! Gone made it all complicated!

You don't need measurements if your building your own, just make it look like the pictures.

I found the pics I had taken of mine a few years back. The KMA bumper is made in two pieces, the bumper and the mounting brackets. I'm sure they build a generic bumper and then mounts for a specific vehicle. The two curved mounting brackets bolt where the tow hook bolted up and the bumper sits on top and is bolted to the brackets with four half inch bolts.

The curved mounting brackets that bolt to the tow hook locations

008resize.jpg

Where the brackets bolt to the bumper.

007resized-2.jpg

View from on top, you can see the tabs going to where the stock bumper brackets were bolted and you can see the two 3/8" bolts connecting the bumper to the factory brackets.

004resized-2.jpg

View from underneath of the factory bumper brackets bolted to the bumper. I drilled a 2" hole through the middle of this one to pass the leads for the winch.

003resized-1.jpg

Hope these help.

James