2006 Coolant Leak

itmustbeslim

Hello! I am new to this forum and reltively new to pathfinders! I have a 2006 LE 4X4. Recently noticed that the car will not blow warm air when the heater is on if the car is not moving, which is frustrating because it is ass cold here in WI right now. First spot I checked was coolant resovoir which was fine, then I checked the radiator, which was low. I added coolant to the radiator and immediately noticed drips underneath the skid plat right underneath the radiator.

The heater does work fine when moving. The drips continued for a few dys and I have not seen any new drips a week later.

How do I find the leak or in the alternative is my radiator cracked? If it is cracked it should not be a big deal to replace and besides, it'll allow me to bypass the cooler and hopefully avoid the stupid transmission repair (fingers crossed).

If you do not think it is the radiator do you guys have any known culprits for leaks? Do any of you have a diagram of the radiator and all the connections?

Thanks so much for your help

Page CO-6 of the factory service manual shows a cooling circuit.

I'd remove the wind deflector/splash guard under the engine and make sure that neither radiator hose is leaking, to begin with. Also inspect your radiator cap according to this TSB and replace with a new OEM one if necessary.

Check to make sure the vehicle has the proper amount of coolant in it. Make usre to check with the heater turned on. Do not remove the radiator cap with the vehicle hot. Check after it has been sitting for a long time, such as over night.

If the coolant level is correct I would look at the thermostat being stuck open as your next culprit.

If your radiator is cracked, you want to be careful it hasn't contaminated the A/T fluid. This happened on many 05-06 frontiers, xterras and pathfinders. This will take out your trans! There is a known TSB and warranty extension for affected vehicles. I'm not saying this is what you have going on, just be cautious.

If your radiator is cracked, you want to be careful it hasn't contaminated the A/T fluid. This happened on many 05-06 frontiers, xterras and pathfinders. This will take out your trans! There is a known TSB and warranty extension for affected vehicles. I'm not saying this is what you have going on, just be cautious.

Yes, yes very important!! 5523Pathfinder is right!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I need some clarification here (advance apologies if I sound stupid)...

I have a 2006 Pathfinder SE Off Road and just turned 107,000 miles on the odometer.

When idling (i.e. warming up in the winter) should the Pathfinder blow the warm air when the engine is warm? It will warm up, but not blow warm air until you are moving or increase the rpm while idling. If I get the warm air flowing and then put it on re-circulate, it's ok. I plan to check out the heating system but was not sure if this is common or not (I've seen this happen with other makes/models like Chevy Tahoe). When I first bought it, I called Nissan USA regarding the recall and was told that my particular vehicle was not affected.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

With these symptoms I would look at:

1) The Heater hose on the firewall with the watercock and valves is notorious for going bad and causing a no heater problem.

The part number for your vehicle should be:

92408-ZL90B HOSE ASMY

2) low coollant level -

With the vehicle cold, such as in the morning before driving it anywhere. Turn the heater on full, open the radiator cap, start the vehicle and see how low the coolant level is in the radiator.

3) thermostat stuck open.

4) bad radiator cap

man I have been trying to fix this issue on my wife's PF. From the research I have done it could be air in the lines, I have been trying to bleed the air out of this thing going on 2 nights now. There are some posts over on thenewx.org forum about purging or burping the coolant, might give it a try