No Start and No power Issue

lukus223

Hello All,

New to the forum and my Pathfinder. Got a good deal on one and took it out for the first real ride this week. Had some real heavy snow (6+ inches) and an opportunity to put it in four wheel drive and it kicked ass! Much better then the older Ford and Chevy 4x4 rigs I have had in the past. Anyway, all was well getting the kids from school and checking out the snow in the neightborhood. When I pulled into the driveway the heater kicked off and the battery/power dash icon lite up. Got it to the garage just fine, got it out of 4H and pulled in to the garage. Shut it down and now it won't start. I think it must be a power issue, I have no juice to the heater blower and when I turn the key to ACC, no dash icons are lite up. Turn the key to start and no action. No click and no dim of the headlights like the battery is stressed.

A little help would be appreciated. I have worked on older ford and chevy rigs, but nothing this new with so much wiring and electronics. Oh and yeah, it's in park :-0)

Luke

Thanks for the reply. I thought of that. The battery is only a year old and looks good. I can have the headlights on, hazards going and roll up the window with out any dimming of the lights. I also tried to jump start it with my portable jump station and no dice. Should have mentioned that in my original post.

definitely doesn't sound like a battery issue. The lack of dash lights is a dead give away for a blown "Meter" or "tail light" fuse. I can't remember. Check those fuses and see what comes up.

I'm not sure about always, but in my experience, when that particular fuse blows (dash lights), my tail lights also don't work when I turn the headlights on. I'm pretty sure they are linked on the same fuse, which is why I can't remember if it's Meter or Tail Light.

• Like 1

when a vehicle doesn't start it is one of 3 reasons..no gas, no air or no spark. this is obviously a no spark issue.

does it turn over?

could be a starter issue or starter solenoid.

is it auto or manual transmission?

I would begin with fuses. and go from there.

when a vehicle doesn't start it is one of 3 reasons..no gas, no air or no spark. this is obviously a no spark issue.

does it turn over?

could be a starter issue or starter solenoid.

is it auto or manual transmission?

I would begin with fuses. and go from there.

It's not really this simple. Yes, it is true, but is too basic and oversimplified to be helpful.

Actually, there are 4 requirements for an ICE to work. Spark, air, fuel, and compression. Realized that one the hard way when I spent 5 hours trying to kick-start a dirt bike to find out the cylinder needed to be bored. It sure did have fuel, air, and spark though!

After checking the fusable links and ruling those out, make sure the ignition switch is functioning properly. Turn to ON/ACC and check for voltage to and from the switch. I had a similar issue a few years ago.

Actually, there are 4 requirements for an ICE to work. Spark, air, fuel, and compression. Realized that one the hard way when I spent 5 hours trying to kick-start a dirt bike to find out the cylinder needed to be bored. It sure did have fuel, air, and spark though!

correction noted sir.

5 hours? if thats not a demonstration of single minded determination I don't know what is!

and the winner is...........

Meter Fuse! I thought I checked all of the ones that would impact the engine starting, but I missed this one. Running like a champ now. Going to take her out for another run today and decide if we are keeping her or moving on.

Thanks for the help. This forum is awesome and I really appreciate it.

correction noted sir.

5 hours? if thats not a demonstration of single minded determination I don't know what is!

It was more like 5 hours until I finally decided to use a compression tester and find it was blown. 5 hours of cleaning the carb, checking for spark, checking ignition timing, checking fuel supply, etc etc. You know how it is. Have to take everything apart and put it back together for every check lol. It didn't help that I was led on by it starting and running a few times, but only for a couple revolutions at a time.

Back when I was stupid and didn't know anything about much of anything. I just kind thought 'well It's gotta start one of these times'.

Edited by fast5speed

It's not really this simple. Yes, it is true, but is too basic and oversimplified to be helpful.

You forgot timing.

But why did the fuse pop? That's a strange one... 

Sometimes they just do, I guess. When there is too much load on the circuit perhaps. I know I've blown that fuse twice and it was because I tried to plug in the dash cluster after the truck was already turned on.

Looking at one of those tiny red 10A fuses, it's easy to think maybe they could become subject to corrosion or wearing down some other way. If that happened, then they would have an even lower than advertised threshold before they blow.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

When the fuse popped we had the heater on full blast, the lights on, wipers going, 4h engaged and running pretty hard. I bought a few extra and will just keep them on hand. Took it out yesterday and no issues at all. Thanks again for your help. I am going to keep it for awhile and when it warms up here I am going to start working on a couple of other little issues it has.

• 1 month later...

If you look at the wiring diagram, the ignition relay and accessory relay share a connection and the accessory relay goes to the meter relay.

It is goofy but will cause the igntion relay to not work.