Regearing my R50

drewp29

Well, there was a deal on big duratracs at my local fountain tire, so 35s are on order! Should be here in about a week or so, and we'll see how she feels with them on.

Cool, keep us posted.

Side question: what rear locker you going with?

ARB air locker. And one of these days I want to order a lokka for the front. Or I might just weld it lol. But we'll see.

Awesome. Lokka's a good option, but weld+hubs a cheaper solution. Keep us posted.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey all. So I finally got the 35's on, cleared the fenders and took her for a spin on the road tonight. I didn't really notice any changes in the way she drives off the start. I was even able to drive off in second from a pretty slow roll, but I didn't try from a dead stop. Something in the front end was rubbing pretty badly (probably the brake rotor but we'll see) so I didn't take it out onto the highway but I got her up to 70km/h with no power problems at all. Once I fix the front end and get the locker working I'll head out onto the highway and see if I can find some deep snow. My first impressions are good though!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

FINALLY got her on the highway for the first time today since I've started the transformation. I got up to roughly 100km/hr with no real problems per say, but acceleration is noticably slower. My commute into town has a good mix of hills and flats. On the flats maintaining speed and accelerating wasn't a problem but I certainly was bleeding speed off going up the hills in 5th gear. It's definitely driveable on the highway though, and really not as bad as I was expecting tbh. I've also gone out and played in the snow a couple of times. In 2' of snow I was having ussues starting from a stop in 4high, but in 4low I had no troubles. If I dove in while in 4high and kept the revs up she did fine though. So all in all I'm happy with how shes's doing. Yes I'd benefit from some power mods but I'd put 35s on again for sure. Hope this helps someone.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

1st Post on here. Ive read a ton of good info about my r50 on here. I have a 2 1/2 inch lift springs on front and rear with 33s and this weekend I took it up HWY 5 where the speed limit is 70. When I get to about 65 mph my truck wants to down shift and no matter what I did I could only go 70 in 4th gear at 4000 RPMS. I have 4.63 gears so any easy swap up is not possible. I see 5.13 gears out there for the rear but nothing for the front?

Anyone have any idea how to can regear to 5.13 or maybe I'm all wrong with this and need to go another route?

Welcome to the forum, crampton16.

I'm not sure if you read this whole thread, but basically you cannot get lower gearing than 4.636:1 because of the R200A reverse-cut ring/pinion front diff for which no other gear ratios exist. The only way to get lower gearing is to ditch the IFS and swap in a solid front axle.

I assume you have an automatic transmission, which has 4 forward gears. The 4th gear is Overdrive. Your truck wants to downshift out of overdrive down to 3rd gear at 70mph for at least 2 reasons:

1. The faster you go, the more drag your truck experiences, and the 3.3L engine doesn't have enough power to keep up that speed. Drag increases with the square of the speed, so if you have a large drag coefficient (roof rack, light bar, spare tire on roof, etc.), you can expect to have problems pushing all that air out of the way at high speeds.

2. With 33" tires, you're actually going faster than 70mph, but the transmission doesn't know that because it's getting false readings from the VSS. Consider installing a speedometer calibrator. I installed a 12 o'clock labs universal SpeedoDRD to correct my 5% speedometer error, and surprisingly I'm getting better performance and fuel economy now because the transmission shifts slightly differently.

• Like 1

1st Post on here. Ive read a ton of good info about my r50 on here. I have a 2 1/2 inch lift springs on front and rear with 33s and this weekend I took it up HWY 5 where the speed limit is 70. When I get to about 65 mph my truck wants to down shift and no matter what I did I could only go 70 in 4th gear at 4000 RPMS. I have 4.63 gears so any easy swap up is not possible. I see 5.13 gears out there for the rear but nothing for the front?

Anyone have any idea how to can regear to 5.13 or maybe I'm all wrong with this and need to go another route?

Unfortunately there is nothing on the market right now for front gears with the stock front drive train. Were you ever able to go 70mph with 33s before or did you just install them?

Welcome to the forum, crampton16.

I'm not sure if you read this whole thread, but basically you cannot get lower gearing than 4.636:1 because of the R200A reverse-cut ring/pinion front diff for which no other gear ratios exist. The only way to get lower gearing is to ditch the IFS and swap in a solid front axle.

I assume you have an automatic transmission, which has 4 forward gears. The 4th gear is Overdrive. Your truck wants to downshift out of overdrive down to 3rd gear at 70mph for at least 2 reasons:

1. The faster you go, the more drag your truck experiences, and the 3.3L engine doesn't have enough power to keep up that speed. Drag increases with the square of the speed, so if you have a large drag coefficient (roof rack, light bar, spare tire on roof, etc.), you can expect to have problems pushing all that air out of the way at high speeds.

2. With 33" tires, you're actually going faster than 70mph, but the transmission doesn't know that because it's getting false readings from the VSS. Consider installing a speedometer calibrator. I installed a 12 o'clock labs universal SpeedoDRD to correct my 5% speedometer error, and surprisingly I'm getting better performance and fuel economy now because the transmission shifts slightly differently.

That's a lot of great info and all the things you mentioned I have on my roof lol PLUS I have 2 kayaks up there. I love the truck but wow everything is so hard to get set up.

That's a lot of great info and all the things you mentioned I have on my roof lol PLUS I have 2 kayaks up there. I love the truck but wow everything is so hard to get set up.

Well THERE'S your problem! It's not reasonable to expect 170hp to push a 4500lb SUV at 70mph when you've basically got a parachute attached! Try repeating the scenario with an empty roof.

Around town I have no problem but 70 mph not going to happen in 5th gear.

Your profile indicates you have an LE. I was under the impression that LE's were only equipped with auto trannies. Unless you have a 5-speed manual transmission, your Pathfinder has only 4 forward gears. "D" is 3rd, "O/D" is 4th.

This link shows 5.143 R/P gears for the front R200A, 1990 through 2004, but note it says: WD21, not R50. The WD21 was discontinued in 1995, and the R50 was not available before 1996. I think the description is incorrect. It is 100% certain that the R200A on the WD21 does NOT use the same R/P as the R200A in the R50.

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissan-pathfinder-c-38.html/nissan-pathfinder-19962004-r50-pathfinder-c-38_1322.html/19962004-r50-pathfinder-ring-pinion-gears-c-38_1322_1349.html/nissan-pathfinder-ring-and-pinion-gears-by-nismo-1990-2004-front-r200a-5143-p-5656.html