exsaust stud repair help information

urimashe

Hello, Im planning on doing my exsaust studs and I heard getting a left handed drill bit would work well with getting out the old studs, my questions are of course, what size drill bit do I need? what should I do to prep the studs, nuts, for removal? what should I do when installing the new gaskets, the manifold and the new studs? I did some searches through the forum and I could not find any how too's?

nvm, it didn't answer all my questions about the left handed drill bits. also, do I have to take off the heads for this job? I don't have a 3 inch body lift or anything.

Oh my .. lot's of minding and neverminding here. :lol:

I broke mine by preparing them with PB Blaster a few days before trying to remove them. I did this on my wife's Honda Prelude and didn't have to "easy out" any of them. Hopefully you will have the same success that I had with her fifteen year old powerplant.

Sometimes you get lucky with a left hand drill bit and it will break the old stud free. If you're not that lucky, once you get the extractor in there don't break it off. You'll have a hard time drilling that out. I bought a left hand drill/extractor set off the snap on truck for work. If I remember tomorrow I'll look to see what size drill and extractor to use on the 8mm studs.

Sometimes you get lucky with a left hand drill bit and it will break the old stud free. If you're not that lucky, once you get the extractor in there don't break it off. You'll have a hard time drilling that out. I bought a left hand drill/extractor set off the snap on truck for work. If I remember tomorrow I'll look to see what size drill and extractor to use on the 8mm studs.

thanks, that would be most helpful, im planning on doing this project over the Christmas vacation I have from school, I am currently attending UTI in Arizona. I would have loved to do this fix and the schools open shop, but apparently fixing exhaust studs isn't a typical maintenance item.

I believe there is a write up somewhere here, but basically soak everything in penetrant, remove the ones that don't break, remove the manifolds, remove the broken studs by drilling/easy out (left handed always preferable), or welding an extension to the end that can be grabbed and turned.

A right angle drill might be needed, and the root diameter of a metric thread is always the major diameter minus the pitch, so M8x1.25 (IIRC) has a minor (root) diameter of 6.75mm. Thinking of clearances, etc a 4-5mm drill is appropriate, so 3/16 or smaller.

If you are drilling, grind the end of the stud flat, then use a spot or center drill for the initial position, then follow up with the drill...

B

I didn't have to pull the head out but I did get a long extension and a chuck to go at the end of it.

http://www.osh.com/Brands/DeWalt/DEWALT-3-8%22-Keyless-Impact-Chuck/p/6945935

http://www.osh.com/Osh-Categories/Tools-%26-Hardware/Tools/Power-Tool-Accessories/Drill-Bits-%26-Accessories/Speedbor-%26-Woodboring-Bits-%26-Bit-Sets/IRWIN-Speedbor-6-In-Extension-Quick-Change-Chuck/p/6472096

not these exact ones but you get the idea.

drill -- extension -- chuck -- left hand drill bit.