Half of my dash lights aren't working!

kefferjoe

The tail lights are working and all the other lights are working...went over a speed bump and it fixed it...I guess this is an issue with the 00-04s...they supposedly have loose connections in the cluster and if they get jiggled just right the lights can go on and off.

The tail lights are working and all the other lights are working...went over a speed bump and it fixed it...I guess this is an issue with the 00-04s...they supposedly have loose connections in the cluster and if they get jiggled just right the lights can go on and off.

Huh, never heard that before. At least it's fixed? Haha Maybe look at the fuse just to be sure, like the others said.

Mine does this too, 75% of the time the left is out, then randomly they come on. That 25% of the time they are on makes me feel all warm and cuddly inside. :D. But sometimes i like not having my gas gauge lit up because then I dont pay as much attention to how fast the gas gauge drops to zero haha

If I remember correctly from when I put the LED lights in my dash, there are two loops in series, one for the speedo side, and one for the tach. That means if there is a short in the line then the whole side won't light up. I replaced the filament bulbs with LEDs because my tach side was intermittent and finally stopped working altogether.

I found out that one of the connections for a bulb had been worn down and had a short. The bulbs twist into place and the perimeter of the bulb housing connects to the the line that runs between the bulbs on the circuit board. I think over time with all the shaking, the bulbs actually wear down the connection and cause a short.

I took a graphite pencil and filled in the entire circular area under the housing. After I did this the tach side started working. Just something to try if you feel like taking the dash out and getting after it.

• 2 weeks later...

This is driving me absolutely nuts! I took it all apart cleaned it and tried the graphite trick on the bulb connections and it's still no lighting up it was intermittent for a few days and now it seems like they won't ever come on. It SEEMS like it's happening when the gas light is on? Maybe just a coincidence since I'm always running with the gas light on it seems.

Ok my scenario definitely is oddly attached to my gas light. I tore the cluster apart in a gas station put it back together and it didn't work...filled up my tank and then boom left side lit up! Any ideas as to why?

Do you have any other dead interior bulbs?

My odometer lights up with headlights off. When I had a dead bulb in the rear defroster switch, it never lit up unless headlights were on and the dimmer switch was not off. I fixed the bulb in the rear defroster switch and noticed the odometer lighting up always now, except with parking/headlights on and dimmer switch off. So maybe there's some weird circuit going on?

Have you ensured the illumination bulb for the left side cluster looks OK? Swap it with a middle one and see if the problem moves.

Edited by Towncivilian

• 3 years later...

A couple of days ago, just the lighting for the odometer doesn't always illuminate. Just the odometer, which is seen just fine during the day. Do you think this is the start of the dash board lights beginning to go dark or do you guys have another idea? I have not checked the fuse. Just odd that just that little area is effected. Thanks so much for your ideas!!!

Agreed. Probably a bad bulb. This is the early 90's pathy right? The instrument cluster is fairly easy to remove. Then you should be able to replace the bulb.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it all the time?

You may have had 1 bulb burn out...

Sorry I forgot to get back to you on this and then I had to hunt down the thread...

It's random when the light will light up the odometer.

No, this is in my 02 Pathy. I still own the 95 & proud of it and didn't see a place to list both vehicles in my profile so you awesome helpers could figure out which one I am speaking off.

I am guessing the bulb isn't always connecting? I have a remote start, and sometimes when I enter my Pathy, the odometer lights are on, and then when I put the key in blah blah blah to get driving, then the light will stop working. And sometimes, it's just the opposite. It will start with it off and stay off for miles and miles and then just suddenly come on.

• 3 years later...

Did you ever fix it? Im having the same issues. Took it apart first time reconnected wires and it worked for 2 days. Again took everything apart and took off bulbs and cleaned contacts. Worked fine for just few hours. Now its back to square one with no lighting on rpm and temp gauge side.