Engine options VG33 complete or VG33+VG30 accessories? parts list

mo3chang

I would like to start off by saying i have searched plenty and know the jist of the compatibility of parts between the two i'm looking for some insight in helping me into which direction i want to go. i've seen lots of write ups with machined snouts on vg33 using vg30 acceries

I recently bought a 91 Pathfinder 44 with 185,000 miles for $800 running and driving, but no working AC (MAF sensor code,EGR Canister, and Oxygen sensor code) all of which i've replaced and still have code and a recurring random misfire want to use as daily driver and occasional offroad/long travel

I'm currently planning to do an engine swap i asked my mechanic the VG30 swap with a low mileage Japanese engine no accessories will cost 1500, but if i go with a vg33 no accessories $1800 new clutch, clutch, waterpump, and other bits

My question is should i just use the VG30 accessories since its mostly pretty well worn (everything looks roughbut works except for AC) or go to a pickapart and try to acquire all of the vg33 accessories and brackets?

What are parts that i need?

all accessories + brackets and?

I want want to avoid machined parts and use VG33 parts where possible

Is it all strictly bolt on from there?

Anyone have any opinions?

I have pacesetter headers that will be put on along with a hi flow cat and an apollo intake that i plan to mate with a snorkel (havent decided which one) ((already relocated ecu under dash))

Also ordering 3' suspension lift from 4x4 parts just sold a calmini lift(heard not so good things about them)

Located in SoCal if anyone has any help offered this is my second pathy and would like this one done right

20131126_0744021_zpse984af18.jpgSome minor front end damage and bougee paint job

20131126_0744431_zps7320d4f5.jpg

Bought it with half a steering wheel and no shift knob so i put one i had laying around off of a 240 kit "can you say rice?"20131126_0745071_zps79539afd.jpg

everything leaks and not from hoses (oil, coolant, power steering,) 20131126_0744191_zps12648ae2.jpg

my last pathy was an autobot paint looks good in rear but the front is dull

Personaly I chose to go with the VG33 and keep all my stuff from the vg30. Seeing as how you are a california kid you probably want to keep everything from the vg30. I have had the star certified smog techs out here be pretty sharp on what goes where.

Honestly, get the VG30 running good before attempting a swap because that can be a whole 'nother can of worms. You can buy a crank pulley adapter from Mr.510 on ebay and you keep all your factory accessories and nothing looks amiss. Which would be good for you since you live in Californistan.

hey what do know i guess fate wants me to use vg30 accessories i found a box in my garage with all accessories from previous pathfinder that i crashed and couldn't keep, power steering, brake booster, all lines, AC condensor (i think) new rubber i'm just missing a working AC the clutch is bad on the one i have.

I've done the swap twice, once with a full r50 engine/accessories setup and once with Mr510 crank adapter. If you go the adapter route there is very little custom work done. No machine work at all.

Mostly mild grinding with a 4 1/2" grinder and mixing and matching parts between the two motors. I did have to cut and change the offset of the alternator bracket but it was very simple and easy if u have a welder and would be inexpensive if u had to have it done.

Both donor vg33 were from 96-99 pathfinder so it may not be necessary with an xterra / frontier vg33. I don't have experience with those configurations so I can't speak for them. Need any more info, just shoot. I know these engines like the back of my hand by now, lol.

Edited by Nefarious

looks like i am using the crank from Mr510 and all of the accessories from my previous Pathfinder 90 (R.I.P.) except for the AC i'll either find one cheap or not have one at all (on budget)

only thing i'm missing asside from the beer and labor it the oil filter stud. which i have to swap?

looks like i am using the crank from Mr510 and all of the accessories from my previous Pathfinder 90 (R.I.P.) except for the AC i'll either find one cheap or not have one at all (on budget)

only thing i'm missing asside from the beer and labor it the oil filter stud. which i have to swap?

It is technically possible to swap that but if your using the 510 adapter why would you swap the oil pump thus necessitating the oil filter stud swap?

Edited by ejin4499

It is technically possible to swap that but if your using the 510 adapter why would you swap the oil pump thus necessitating the oil filter stud swap?

So with the adapter other than new belts, plugs, wires and general tune up i dont need anything else as far as parts to ?

no grinding water pump?

sorry for so many questions i'm just trying to gather enough confirmed information

i already read that thread and his other one too, which includes him grinding down a water pump and and bending an alternator bracket.

thanks though i guess i'll just dive into the unknown then

wish me luck

vg33 hopefully by next week if the adapter comes in by then i already got the engine it looks like it has most of the brackets so i can mix and match

It's not unknown dude. I helped him with his swap, and helped on my swap. the alternator bracket needs to be modified, along with a notch taken out of the water pump. I think he even put up a diagram of exactly how the bracket for the alternator needs to be modified.

what part exactly are you fuzzy on? If you could ask a more specific question we might have a better answer but as far as I know everything you need to know is in that right up other than what should either already be know (how to strip down the engine ) or what would be found in the FSM ( torque specs sizes etc).

The only other relatively complete writeup that I know of (the one I followed) is http://nissannut.com/maintenance/vg33e_upgrade/ its a little older and doesn't use the adapter but requires no parts other than what you would already have.

Personally the next time I go to build a vg33 for a early 90's pathfinder I will be following in MR510's footsteps. The only thing I would do dif is get a vg33 crank stroked and custom pistons the get the CR to 11 or 12 but I'm still doing research on that one. :)

Edited by ejin4499

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the VG33 engine with its own VG33 sump will fit into a 94 pathfinder and clear the diff, etc...?

With the VG33 oil pump and pickup, the VG30 sump definitely will not bolt onto engine due to clearance issues with the pickup pipe.

I just did a swap and used parts from Mr 510. The swap was very straightforward and included a Xtera Oil pickup, modified alternator bracket and the crank pulley all bought from Mr 510. The water pump needs to be modified with a cutoff wheel or hacksaw as you use a VG30 water pump and cut a notch on one side to fit.

My 2000 pathfinder motor appeared to have the exact same oil pan, but it was slightly damaged from the motor sitting on it, so I swapped it with my vg30 pan. My motor was sourced off Craigslist for $400 and it was a JDM motor with about 110K on it. It was pretty clean inside, but I went ahead and did a full rebuild on it.