Center console conversion?

barnum

I have a pathy. I know it was updated for the xterra in 02 but was it also for the path? Anyways, there's no open storage area, the console box overhangs the cupholders, it all sits too low between the seats, and it just seems like a overall poor design in my opinion compared to previous vehicle's I've owned. It's just not very practical.

hmmm i could have sworn they changed that in 02, oh well.

Here is what i'm talking about

this is out of an 03

003178_dash.jpg

They moved the cup holders forward making for better access.

see if you can track down an 03 or 04 center console and that solves some problems for you.

-Kyle

• Like 1

Well, they did change it,

The earlier gen have it much worse than the later models

Here is a 97 (which should reflect all R50's that came with 3.3's, someone correct me if im wrong)

54213242.jpg

And the updated version out of an 03, notice the smaller center console storage and taller cup holders

68632686.jpg

Is your biggest complaint the cup holder design?

I think i may have solution for you if that is your issue.

-Kyle

My center console looks similar to the 03 both in cupholder design and center storage box although I have a manual transmission. My biggest complaints are actually open storage trays and center console height. Cupholder design is more of a side note.

If you look at this image of an 05 xterra, console height is just a little higher, there's a dash tray, and the overall layout is a lot cleaner. More modern.

01888E9D-8874-4992-B0FB-6CCBD33C3C0E.jpg

ah okay, if it was the cup holders, i was just going to suggest popping over to a junkyard and getting some single cup holders out an 88-94 nissan maxima and instaliing it in lower pocket under the radio, assuming you have a single din radio of course.

They look like this

20481780056_large.jpg

They just pop out, pretty clever and i believe a universal single din fitment.

But that would sick to see if an xterra center would work, report back if you make it work.

-Kyle

-Kyle

After peeking in my pathy, I'm doubting the xterra console dash tray would fit. I'd almost have to cut it out I believe just eyeballing it since the shifter in the pathy appears to be much closer to the center dash than the xterra. About considering just doing one myself. Though I wouldn't even know how to begin and I'd be scared that it'd come out looking ridiculous. Maybe get rid of the huge shift boot and go for a simplistic shift design like an automatic has. Here's a sample idea:

1EVvZfq.png

Edited by barnum

Just to have the (IIRC) correct info out there: the interior (dash, wheel, etc) of the pathy was redesigned along with the facelift in 1999.5. The center consoles are the same from 1999.5 to 2004. The only differences being on options like auto/manual, 4x2/4x4, heated seats etc.

That said however, if you don't like it, I think a flat piece of aluminum would be a good place to start, and you could build it so it surrounds the shifter, and then "steps up" into a cupholder and then armrest. Kinda like this: http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Interior-Parts-Accessories/Subwoofer-Security-Console.aspx?t_c=9&t_s=411&t_pt=8379&t_pn=TFY066-03

You may be able to take some measurements and retrofit it in, or copy the design. Just some ideas :shrug:

Edited by Karmann

Thanks for the info Karmann. Here's a rough draft of something I have in mind. I'll have to do a slight step down for the tcase shifter. You can see how much room that frees up as opposed to the wasted space with OEM. Not quite sure how I'd do the tray yet. This would be cheaper and possibly easier than trying to retrofit a different vehicle's console in.

6QztFm0.jpgCcrQ6DC.jpg

• Like 1

I would only need that if I was tracking Bin Laden down. Try explaining that interior to an officer who pulls you over. "Sir it's not what is looks like..."

I think I may indeed go with a vinyl wrap and make the subframe from MDF since it cuts uniformly, can be sanded down easily, and is pretty cheap if i happen to botch it a few times.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I did a mockup of what I wanted but quickly realized it may take more effort than I want to put in since it would have to look OEM for me to like it enough. I'll take a picture sometime of the module I made, it was only a replacement of the piece around the shift boots, not the actual storage box.

If you are looking to do a full replacement, then your possibilities are wide open. You could design something alot more useful than the stock setup.