WD21 Trailing Arm Question

tdauria

Hey guys, just a quick question on the stock trailing arms...

I know that at some point the design was changed from a beefy looking bar to the thin little things that I have on my 95.

My bushings are shot and I'm waiting on a set from AC to come in, so I'd like to know if the two styles are interchangeable, and if so, should I try and get a set of the older ones from the JY? Or will it not really be worth the hassle?

I don't do too much wheeling at the moment, but I'd like to have the option when I'm finally done going through replacing old/broken stuff. So is the changed design a result of Nissan cheaping out a bit, or maybe are they weaker on purpose to bend/break before something more important does? I'm kind of clueless haha

As always, all info/opinions/thoughts appreciated!

I believe the older, I-beam style are tougher/more desirable but only the really hard core off roaders bend the thinner, later year version. They should be perfectly interchangable as others have gone from the late year type to the early year type.

B

Every 2 door I've seen personally has had the I beam style, I've seen both though on 4 doors (last time I paid atention at the local pick a part all icouod find were I beam style when I wanted the tube style for a wHile, I'm over that right now though and keeping my beams)

What years had the heavier style. I still have those to change, didn't know that there were better than 95 to look at.

I don't know the cut off, but from Nunya's expert description, I'd say 1991 or 1992 or earlier but it is just a guess. One trick that seems to work well is to weld some small angle iron to bottom to reinforce and protect it. Best of both worlds, cheap and easy... :D

B

I don't know the cut off, but from Nunya's expert description, I'd say 1991 or 1992 or earlier but it is just a guess. One trick that seems to work well is to weld some small angle iron to bottom to reinforce and protect it. Best of both worlds, cheap and easy... :D

B

Thats why I wanted the tube ones, that and easier sticker application :lol: