locked rear end?

thorpe991

so the other day it rained and i got stuck in my back yard :blush02: (wet grass and a heavy foot never mix well) so i put it 4hi and had no problems well i decided i would try and get it to spin i 4 hi so i stomped it and had all 4 wheels spinning i thought o its just because its wet well today i was driving and came to red light that had two lanes then merged into one lane shortly after the inter section and i had a truck come up along side of me :thumbsdown: (im in the lane that doesn't merge) so the light turns green and i stomp it so he cant cut me off and both rear tires spin so im thinking i have a locked rear end

my ? is: did Nissan put a locked rear end in the pathfinder stock?

during the summer i drive a 87 camaro with a 305 and limited slip but a very tight limited and iv had different people try and do what i mentioned above multiple times and iv never fully broken loose with the camaro on dry pavement there i have done some one wheel peals though

my car could have between 170-215 hp at 4400rpm depending on the transmission what dose a r50 with the 3.3l push for hp at 4400rpm

i got the camaro info here: http://www.thirdgen.org/1987-chevy-camaro#1987_drivetrain

Edited by thorpe991

I'm guessing you have the TBI 305 in that Camaro. Then you have 170 hp.

The LB9 is the Tune port 305 and the L98 is the tune port 350.

FYI, the TPI 305 with a 5 speed had a more aggressive cam then the same motor with an auto.

But just looking it seems the 3.3 made 170-180 hp at 4800 rpm.

My advise too you is too change the fluid in the diff in your F-body. I know for a fact that if you have an LSD in that car you should spin both off the line for about 25 feet.

You pathfinder is simply a LSD rear that is operating correctly.

Edited by nismothunder
  • Like 3

No lockers available, but LSDs. Check to see if there's a tag on the diff or test it with jackstands. HP shouldn't be the issue, torque off the line is what lights up rear tires. Sounds like you have the LSD and it's working, which is good, and frankly enviable :laugh:

• Like 1

By LSD you mean limited slip diff ?and when ever the tires spin it's both which I thought the point of the limited slip was to not let both spin the previous owners said he thought it might have a locked but he was unsure (I just remembered this)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Limited Slip Differential means that if one wheel has lost traction the other wheel will still be provided power to move the truck forward. without it the wheel without traction would spin and you won't go anywhere.

here is a great video showing how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jrXiZKEMOQ

• Like 3

So that is defiantly how my car and old truck was but when ever the tires spin on the pathfinder it's both rear instead off just one and if I go around a corner and take it to sharp the inside tire chirps it doesn't matter on speed ether if I turn to sharp they Chirp so do you think somebody welded my diff ?

Plausible. But with the way our diffs are setup would be alot of work. Also possible that the truck could have had a original open diff and someone put in one the the detroit or other style locker in it.

Id say give your vin to Akorahil or Towncivilian to run and see if they can see stock options.

Otherwise get a gasket set and remove your diff and inspect it to see what's up.

Sent from my Moto X!

Earlier today I went down to my gmas house and she has a mini ditch going down one side of her yard and I backed into it and slowly steped on it and both tires spun and I got all the way down to maybe 2-3 mph and still both spun so I even stopped them and started again very slow and both still spun so I put a board under one and it spun the one but also backed out with no problem so I thought my eu I put it on the dominate tire so I did it to the other side and same thing happened but I only got to maybe 10 mph till the tire caught the would then it slowed down to maybe 3-4 but the other tire didn't spin faster or slower ( on both tries)

count your self lucky, you've got your self a very capable off road rig there. I wouldn't be complaining if I was you.

im not complaining i was just wondering if it was something normal or if it was modified/ built

with my old truck no matter were i was mud/grass/wet grass/pavement i could only get one tire to spin when i was in 2wd and that had the limited slip diff tag on the diff the pathfinder doesnt have that tag

• 1 month later...

so the other day i was looking at the shocks on my r50 (i have new ones waiting for a warm day to put them on) and realized my diff didn't have bolts but is welded all the way around when i get home ill go out and get some pics to put up but is this normal or is there something strange going on with my rear end? i think earlier in the thread i put that it didnt have the lsd tag on the diff cover idk why didn't hit me then that it didn't have bolts but owell haha it still has a drain bolt (looks like a giant grub screw from a rc)

It's because it's a 3rd member style axle. They don't have a diff cover with bolts in it like most other axles out there. The only way to open them up for inspection is to remove axle shafts and pull the front section out.

It's because it's a 3rd member style axle. They don't have a diff cover with bolts in it like most other axles out there. The only way to open them up for inspection is to remove axle shafts and pull the front section out.

ok if i get what your saying is that the bolts are on the side where the drive shaft hooks to the axle instead of having a cover with bolts?

If your diff was welded solid you would know it, the push when making a slow tight corner would be obvious. Like was said, run your VIN #, scrape all the crap off the diff housing and look for the orange sticker, jack the rear end and spin the wheels, etc.

So that is defiantly how my car and old truck was but when ever the tires spin on the pathfinder it's both rear instead off just one and if I go around a corner and take it to sharp the inside tire chirps it doesn't matter on speed ether if I turn to sharp they Chirp so do you think somebody welded my diff ?

Check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu5Y2HQ7DM0

What does your truck do with one wheel lifted in 2wd?

i have no idea never head on tire of the ground but earlier i was parked with one tire on ice and one on pavement and my bumper up against a snow pile(so one tire would spin with out a doubt and the pile would stop me from moving forward) and i had my dad looking at the tire on the ice and i stepped on it (in drive) and i revved up to about 3000 and held it there for about 10-20 secs and my wheels didnt move/spin just kinda pushed me into the pile more and i then put it into 4wd and stepped on it and i started climbing the pile and with turning if i turn to sharp i get a bounce/slippege almost from the inside tire but its only if im doing more than 15 and turn sharper than like 50-60 degs