XJ Cherokee bumper mod

theexbrit

Not sure if this should be in the "How To" section, but here is a brief write up of my XJ Cherokee bumper mod.....

First remove the stock bumper (pretty easy, just remember to unplug the indicators, lights, etc, first).......

2013-08-27105354_zps4f5b2b78.jpg

2013-08-27105439_zpsa4542c26.jpg

Now, before you attempt to install you must cut the end off the XJ brackets where I have the red line marked (they are much too long & the bolt holes don't line up), also cut the top of the end pieces (again, where I have marked with a red line) so that you can bend them out to about 20 degrees, then fill the v notch with weld or some such & grind to a smooth finish.

bumpercuts_zps0131b2dd.jpg

Next, bolt in the winch tray......

2013-08-23123151_zps22eb04c4.jpg

Then bolt on the previously cut brackets (note; the ones in the photo are NOT cut, but the cut should be about in the middle of the upper "U" notch you can see on the bracket).....

2013-08-23123033_zps6e0c40ab.jpg

& slide the bumper onto the stock mounting bolts using the slot in the stock bracket that you have bolted to the XJ bracket.

Drill a hole through the open hole in the stock bracket & through the frame behind it for an extra bolt to fit, for a stronger mounting of the bumper.......

2013-08-27105404_zpsf6867276.jpg

The brackets should look like this when you're done bolting......

2013-10-19170056_zps46569652.jpg

If you want even more strength you can drill more bolt holes or weld as you see fit. Also, if you're mounting the light bar, etc, as I did then mount this (& the winch) BEFORE you mount the bumper on the truck, as it is a pita once you have the bumper mounted.

Anyway, once mounted it should look something like this.......

2013-10-18112432_zpsdd514e08.jpg

2013-10-18112325_zpse6bd5725.jpg

If you have to have a front license plate (as we do here in California) then you can just use velcro or some quick release system to hold it on until you hit the dirt......

2013-10-19155647_zps8bbf4288.jpg

I relocated my indicators into the side/marker lights by cutting a hole in the plastic housing & mounting the bulb & holder in there. It actually looks pretty good having the side light & indicator in the same lens when they're lit up.

So there you go, sorry it was a very brief write up but a buddy did the majority of the work for me (he has a fabrication shop) I didn't get a chance to take more detailed photos.

If you have any questions, message me or post 'em here. :itsallgood::aok:

• Like 5

Nice write up.

Link to the bumper you used would be great.

Sent from my Moto X!

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-xj-winch-bumper-1057.html

What happened to the better pictures??

:whistle:

B

:laugh: :laugh: Still need to take those!

You could also do the Maglight clamps and mount the license plate to your winch fairlead.

Good idea. I tried a $30 mount-to-the-fairlead from ORW but it wasn't deep enough for the Hazard Fraught (Harbor Freight) winch fairlead as it mounted between the 2 horizontal ones but maybe the Maglight clips will go over the 2 vertical ones.

• Like 1

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-xj-winch-bumper-1057.html

:laugh: :laugh: Still need to take those!

Good idea. I tried a $30 mount-to-the-fairlead from ORW but it wasn't deep enough for the Hazard Fraught (Harbor Freight) winch fairlead as it mounted between the 2 horizontal ones but maybe the Maglight clips will go over the 2 vertical ones.

I think that's why people build the Maglight mounts.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ
  • Like 1

I should also mention that you need to mod your windshield washer bottle if you want washers. The stock bottle hangs wayyyyy below the new bumper & looks pretty stupid.

I bought a universal radiator reservoir from O'Reilly Autoparts for about $10 & adapted it. Drilled 2 holes, then used the stock rubber gaskets with some sealer on them for good measure, added a length of small diameter shop vac hose & some clear hose for a breather.......

2013-10-26153112_zpsb428b596.jpg

Then jammed it up under the passenger headlight & jerry rigged it with some metal strapping material (you can see it hanging in the photo).......

2013-10-26153213_zpsc2395840.jpg

The filler hose & breather should stick up thru the original filler hole, cut to desired length.......

2013-10-26153221_zpsb70554ad.jpg

Now I just have to figure out some kind of plug or cap for the end of the filler tube & I'll be set. :aok:

Trim off the original and clamp it to the top. That is my opinion.

I wanted to do that, unfortunately the stock washer bottle top has a funky square piece just under the round top & it won't fit the small round top of the pipe. I'll try again at making it work though.

Love this mod. Already picked out my bumper I'm going to get to mod to fit.

The Smittybilt XRC XJ bumper

146924-add3-lg.jpg

Nice! I wanted a "minimalist" bumper, the ARB's, etc are nice but seemed a bit too big & clunky for me.

My only question is if this would work for my 93 Pathy????? not sure on the measurements.

Not sure about a 93, the XJ is a couple of inches narrower than an R50 but you should be able to make it work.

What's up with the perforated skid plate? Seems like to would catch all sorts of brush and act like a cheese grater on everything you hit. Probably saves 30-40% weight but not sure I would take that trade off.

I had some cooling issues so I wanted the airflow (the main reason I haven't gotten skid plates). I'll see how it goes, I can always add a solid one if I get issues. :itsallgood:

have any pics of it form the side? i like the look from the front and its much cheaper than the ones meant for the pathfinder so i may look into this but need to know how it looks from the side

It doesn't go quite as far back as the OEM bumper at the point where it wraps around the fender, so if you want to you can cut the fender a little or fill it or whatever. I just painted it black but I may make a small metal piece just to finish off the bumper end. Hopefully you can see what I'm talking about in these photos..........

5568ccc6-13e1-457a-bb9d-0250cc494277_zps

7f547d31-1d54-4af7-8d98-8e6c9ea9bf3e_zps

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if this would work for the facelift R50's? I have a 2002 and I always thought the front of mine looks a bit more bulky than the pre-facelift R50's. Looks good man we still need to work on meeting up when I'm in So Cal, I really like what youve done with your Pathfinder and the way you use it, too bad youre not out here in Phoenix. Most of my buddies out here are now SAS'd with 38 inch tires doing ridiculous trails that I couldnt even walk on much less drive on, lol. I'm more into the exploration stuff like what your pictures convey! Looks good!

• Like 1

Looks great!

Is the overtube that thin aluminum crap? The PO handed me a tube when I bought the Pathy. It bolted on the top like that.

I pitched it and bent a 2" diameter tube and welded it on. (my old neighbor had a bender a couple years ago) With the old one, if I hit something, I think it would have cracked or just ripped out. My current one would damage anything it hits.

Edited by 96Pathfinder4x4

I should also mention that you need to mod your windshield washer bottle if you want washers. The stock bottle hangs wayyyyy below the new bumper & looks pretty stupid.

I bought a universal radiator reservoir from O'Reilly Autoparts for about $10 & adapted it. Drilled 2 holes, then used the stock rubber gaskets with some sealer on them for good measure, added a length of small diameter shop vac hose & some clear hose for a breather.......

Posted Image

Then jammed it up under the passenger headlight & jerry rigged it with some metal strapping material (you can see it hanging in the photo).......

Posted Image

The filler hose & breather should stick up thru the original filler hole, cut to desired length.......

Posted Image

Now I just have to figure out some kind of plug or cap for the end of the filler tube & I'll be set. :aok:

Could you do a more detailed walkthrough on this as I will be doing this soon

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Looks great!

Is the overtube that thin aluminum crap? The PO handed me a tube when I bought the Pathy. It bolted on the top like that.

I pitched it and bent a 2" diameter tube and welded it on. (my old neighbor had a bender a couple years ago) With the old one, if I hit something, I think it would have cracked or just ripped out. My current one would damage anything it hits.

Thanks,!

The light bar is surprisingly sturdy, all steel & very strong, as is the whole bumper. If I hit something with this bumper it's not going to be me that comes out worse off.

• 8 months later...

If anyone can answer the previously asked question about the facelifted R50's that would be great as I too and I'm sure others are wondering the same thing. The bumpers are the 2 things I dislike the most about the facelifted R50's.