First Start in 2 1/2 years

pathybuilder

So my Pathy has been sitting for 2 1/2 years while I've undertook a series of small jobs on it. I just finished hooking up new fuel lines as the old were in poor shape. I'm hoping to start the engine tomorrow for the first time since taking it off the road. Is there anything in particular I need to pay attention to as it hasn't been started in such a long time?

Maybe roll it over a few times with the fuel pump fuse out to circulate the oil a little? I see people bringing out classic cars out doing that around here. No idea if it does anything though.

Just check the fluids. I recently resurrected an old Jeep that was sitting for four years. I did an oil change and flushed the radiator before firing her up. Oh, the fuel went bad (varnished) over that time so I removed the fuel lines and replaced the tank. I didn't know that gas actually only has a shelf life of thirty days. Really? Thirty days? :shrug:

If you're worried about bad gas. Can disconnect the fuel return line and run it into a large bucket. Turn key to engage fuel pump but dont start and let it push the old gas out into the bucket/container.

Edited by Rebelord

Maybe roll it over a few times with the fuel pump fuse out to circulate the oil a little? I see people bringing out classic cars out doing that around here. No idea if it does anything though.

A better choice would be to manually prime the oil pump IMO. That way you're not cranking with no oil.