hesitation

LOVELADY

My 95 LE pathfinder has been acting weird. This was my first car I got her when I was 17 and i am 23 now. I baby her like crazy. So when this started to happen I started to get scared. What she is doing is when i'm at a stand still or in park she is barely running like she is about to die. if i stop at a red light then take off its like she can't go untell she gets a little gas but then she barely goes. Then on a hill she has no power. I just would like a little advice if i can get some because i like to fix her my self but i can't figure this one out. Thank you all the help in advance.

Hmm a quick easy thing you could do is change the fuel filter? When's the last time that was changed? That would be my first test. Air filter would be second.

Is it during start up, like when it's warm it runs fine? Or is it all the time? Could be an injector issue with lack of power? Any codes popping up, check engine?

Start with the fuel filter, here's how. Start by locating the fuel pump fuse in the fuse panel, then start truck and then pull the fuse and allow the truck to keep running until it dies. This de-pressurize the fuel line. Now change the filter located on the right side of engine bay. Afterwards restart the engine and check for leaks. My truck had a similar situation and changing the filter fixed it. Hopefully the information helps you back to the road with some new found smoothness.

I forgot to mention to replace the fuse after the truck dies...LOL my bad..that's what I get for responding in wind and snow. Glad we have 45000lbs of salt in the trailer. We might be laying on the side otherwise...8-)

Yea snow up here in Montana on the highway passes. We're running across I-90 trying to get away from the winter storm coming in. They're calling for 9-13 inches by Tuesday morning from butte to billings..

Sounds to me like it could be a restriction in the exhaust. If the fuel filter replacement doesn't fix it, try removing the O2 sensor from the exhaust pipe and with it out, see if the engine runs better. Took my brother and me a good part of a weekend to figure out that a bad cat was keeping his sons' Malibu from running. If we took out a sparkplug, it would start and run on only 3 cylinders, but with all 4, it said no. Wound up pulling the upstream O2 sensor so I could drive it the 8 miles to the shop that replaced the broken cat.

no check engine light, it can produce codes and you won't know until you check for them.

That thread for checking the codes is too long, simple way right here, slide the pass. seat all the way forward, remove the plastic cover on the ECU if there is one, locate the small slotted screw on the rear of the ECU, turn the key to "ON" but do not start, turn the screw on the ECU fully clockwise, leave the screw driver on the screw because you need to turn it back quickly at the right time, watch the RED and GREEN LED's, after you turn the screw fully clockwise, watch the LED's, after they flash 3 times ( red and green together), quickly turn the screw fully counter clockwise, this puts it into Mode 3, where it will flash any codes, now watch the LED's and count each color how many times it flashes, 5 red than 5 green = everything is good no trouble codes,

When was the last time basic tune up was done? Besides the above mentioned, fuel and air filters?

Pay attention with the fuel filter I believe it has an arrow on it for direction of flow. Also not mentioned, if the fuel filter has not been replaced lately, the rubber hoses may be a Bitch to get off, secret is to loosen the clamps, try to twist the rubber hose, may have to put the tip of a screw driver between the rubber hose and the filter to try to pry it up a little.

After you remove the hose from the old filter, place it right onto the new one so gas doesn't get all over, than set the new filter on a rag, leave the little plastic cap on if the filter came with one, until you get the other hose off the old filter.

If the truck has a stumble when taking off from a stop it could be the spark plug wires need replacing, with those I would recommend using NGK or OEM, You can check the spark plug wires to see if any are arching against metal by spraying a mist of water on them at night and looking for what would look like little lightning bolts, sometimes if the plug wire is arching against metal you will hear it making a clicking noise.

When a plug wire was bad on my sentra, the car wouldn't go over 50 MPH, gas pedal floored, I wrapped some electrical tape over the bad spot and it ran fine, until the spark burned through the tape !

With the spark plugs, Nissan's like NGK, use what ever one you feel like paying for but the cheap one's are just fine, I use the "V-groove plugs " in mine, some people will go a step up and use the "G- power" plugs also from NGK

Edited by ahardb0dy

^ good post.

If it is fine when you first start it, and then starts acting up, it is most likely a sensor of some kind. Either the o2 or the coolant temp sensor. The ecu doesn't use the input until the temp gets to a certain point.

i changed my spark plugs like two months ago and my wires like a month ago. my fuel filter was changed like 2 to 3 years ago. my air filter looks clean. i also have a snorkel on my pathfinder.

change the fuel filter, how many miles since you replaced it?

What spark plug wires did you use? Sometimes the auto parts store wires can be as much the problem as leaving the old ones on.

My sentra was bogging from a stop I had auto parts store wires on it that were fairly new, replaced them with OEM wires and problem went away. I know the OEM wires can be expensive that is why I listed the NGK wires they seem just as good and are cheaper, I have them on my sentra now, same diameter so they fit in the wire holders, numbered like OEM and they have the same wire loom on the wires in the proper location just like OEM.

I would also try some gas line antifreeze in the gas, may have some bad gas or water in the tank.

Make sure nothing thought using your snorkel would be a good place to build a nest, a restriction in the tube can be blocking air flow to the engine.

Just remembered one other thing that fits your symptoms very well, have you ever cleaned the throttle body? The butterfly (The blade that moves when you step on the gas pedal) in the throttle body is designed to not close fully, this allows a small amount of air to pass by it so the engine can idle, over time crap builds up on the edges of the butterfly and will not allow that small amount of air to pass, and can starve the engine of air, remove the accordion hose coming from the air filter box that goes to the Throttle body, try moving the linkage that connects from the cable that goes to the gas pedal to the throttle body, if the linkage seems like it gets stuck when you first open the butterfly than it is time to clean it. I would use some carb cleaner and a rag and a tooth brush, spray the outside of the butterfly and make sure to clean the edges of it as well of the inside of the throttle body where the butterfly sits when it is closed, use the tooth brush. When you are done cleaning everything, spray it again and wipe it out, Let the truck sit for a few minutes with the accordion hose off, after a few minutes start the engine, it may run crappy until any left over carb cleaner is evaporated, rev the engine a few times and it should return back to normal smooth idle.

Hope this helps, if you need pics of anything I just recommended I have them.

yes please send pics but would that also cause it to do it even at a stop light and when I'm going to have not enough power to go any where

Does it only do it at idle? If so it could be from the TB being dirty. If it runs ok at speed it wouldn't be the fuel pump

Really need to check to see if any codes come up.

The tank could have water in it, when you fill it up the tank is never totally empty so if there is water in it, it could still be in the tank, won't hurt to throw some of that gas line antifreeze stuff in, I think all it is is isopryopl alcohol.

These pics are not of a pathfinder throttle body but they will give you an idea of what I am telling you to clean:

this pic shows the rear of a throttle body, the butterfly is the flat part that fills the opening, you can see how dirty they can get:

1z55h1z.jpg

This pic, blurry I know, shows the build up on the inside of the TB, this build up is what needs to be cleaned:

2a5bssg.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

A good thing to do that is quick and easy is when it is running rough and idling low is to open the hood and wiggle a few wires, but mind 2 things, stay away from the fan blades/shroud and don't touch the spark plug wires. Wiggling these 3 connectors shouldn't put you in any harms way though.

In the picture above just to the left of the base of the distributor, there are two sensors sticking into the casting that the top radiator hose goes to. They are horiziontal and one is yellow. Wiggle the wires to both, one at a time and see if the idle changes at all when you do. These are the coolant temp sensors Adam is talking about.

Next, on the left side of the throttle body, to the right of the distributor, just below the red arrow, is a black 'box' with a connector pointing toward the front of the car. This is the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) wiggle/move the wires and connector like you did the others and see if the idle changes at all.

Last, on the other end of the long rubber intake tube will be another metal housing on the back of the air filter box and a connector pointing straight up. This is the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) and again, wiggle the wires to see if there is any idle change.

I'm a firm believer of checking things before changing anything. Throwing parts at a problem is a last resort to me, other than that, all the advice previously stated is good.

Check the ECU for codes as well please, I will find you the information on checking the resistance of the O2 sensor. Do you or someone you know have a multimeter?

Also, did this problem happen gradually or all of a sudden? If all of a sudden, it is probably a sensor or something electrical. One last important question, when was the last time the timing belt was changed?

B

I know that the MAF drops the ground sometimes. I added another ground to mine. Possibly the issue. There is no way to check to see if it drops the ground. Make sure you get the right wire for the ground. If not you will melt some wiring. It is safe insurance to add an additional ground.

Another possibility is the idle air control valve or the controller for the valve. The idle air control valve will give you stumbles and rough ide especially coming to a stop. There are tests to check the valve and the controller. That is a possibility.

I'm not saying either one will fix it but it is another place to look.

I found something online about what's going on with spark plugs when they look different ways and I found what mine look like and it says that my spark plugs are gapped to big and I need to replace them so I checked them and they are suppose to be gapped at 0.32 and there gapped at 0.40 so could this be my problem