89 pathfinder in the northwest.

jeph

Hi i recently traded one of my cars for a 89 pathfinder, its my first time having one and ive owned many cherokee's and rodeo's and i gotta say i love the pathfinder more then both lol!

its a 1989 just rolled over 300k miles

the lifters tick louder then any car i ever had

its on 31's with torsion bars cranked up

and its 5spd with manual lockers up front.

rear sway bar removed and bump stops

heres a few pics

cleanm_zps3da52b5d.jpg

offroaddd_zps8af7bc44.jpg

offroadd_zps53ef332e.jpg

offroad_zpsfe0fe56e.jpg

offroaddddd_zps4ab93f7e.jpg

offrrddd_zps546dea08.jpg

ofrdddddd_zpsc8246693.jpg

ofrd_zps7d5def0f.jpg

offrod_zpsea41166e.jpg

fjfjjffff_zpsa4a7e2af.jpg

• Like 1

btw it made it threw all of that with no problem at all diddnt get any water into the engine.

things i plan on doing are

Front bumper

Rock sliders

2 inch body lift

JGC rear springs

and figure out how to get rid of the awful lifter noise lol

im in tacoma wa, and mabey not sure, i got it off craigslist from a truck driver.

Wow nice pictures! Welcome to NPORA man! Did you just buy that rig from a member on here? Where you at in WA?

• Like 1

my friend took em with w nikon d700 and i believe those are raw photos cuz he couldnt really edit them on his laptop without lagging.

What kind of camera took those?

Edited by jeph

Thanks yeah i love it only really has 2 problems, lifter is crazy loud and the input shaft bearing in the trans is going out i dont even use 5th gear because of how loud it is.

Wow, very nice find..that's amazing condition for 300K. If I were you, I'd definitely keep full coverage on that GEM!

Welcome to NPORA Bud!

Nice find, but no surprise that you like it the best. WD21 Pathfinders are one of the best hidden in public secrets in a long while. Sure, they aren't perfect but once you address a few weaknesses, they are hard to beat. ;)

my friend took em with w nikon d700 and i believe those are raw photos cuz he couldnt really edit them on his laptop without lagging.

I was also going to compliment the photographer, but then it is funny how those $3k cameras take such great pictures. In this age of pathetic cell phone camera photos, it is quite refreshing! Still, tell him he did a nice job! I too refrain from photo editing, the skill lies in the initial frame/function/settings, but that is probably a hold over from my 35mm days. My D90 was $1k, I couldn't justify more for what is just a hobby.

B

• Like 1

Welcome to NPORA Bud!

Nice find, but no surprise that you like it the best. WD21 Pathfinders are one of the best hidden in public secrets in a long while. Sure, they aren't perfect but once you address a few weaknesses, they are hard to beat. ;)

I was also going to compliment the photographer, but then it is funny how those $3k cameras take such great pictures. In this age of pathetic cell phone camera photos, it is quite refreshing! Still, tell him he did a nice job! I too refrain from photo editing, the skill lies in the initial frame/function/settings, but that is probably a hold over from my 35mm days. My D90 was $1k, I couldn't justify more for what is just a hobby.

B

thanks man yeah i love every bit of it except the lifter and leaking exhaust which i will tackle soon.

and yeah if you have the settings right on the camera you would rarely even need to edit photos except for watermark's, hes getting the hang of the nikon really well hes mostly a cannon person had plenty of em but he got this camera for super cheap so hes giving it a try.

we have another trip planned this weekend for trails in elbe, wa look forward to more pics1

Yeah, I meant to address that briefly, but sorry, I forgot.

its a 1989 just rolled over 300k miles

the lifters tick louder then any car i ever had

You can try an engine flush which might clear some crap out and possibly clear passages/increase oil pressure, but I recall someone else quieting their lifters by going with a lighter oil. Counter intuitive, I know, but it was the case. If those two don't work, then all that is left is replacing the lifters. Thankfully, it isn't too hard...

Exhaust leak? Where? If it is at the manifolds, those are probably broken studs and will need replacing. Plenty of info on that. If it is the Y pipe under the drivers floorboard, fix it right away before it burns a hole and sets the carpet on fire. Again, plenty of info on that here as well. Like I said, address a few weaknesses... :lol:

Meh, Cannon VS Nikon... Once you get to that level it is mainly semantics and preferences; they are both in business making top end stuff for a reason. I'm simply used to Nikon from using lab/inspection equipment over the years where I've never seen a Cannon label, and know what to expect from them. Might as well have a Ford/Chevy or Dodgers/Yankees arguement. :D

Enjoy your next trip and tell your buddy to set the camera to JPEG and NEF simultaneously so he has the raw data to manipulate when he figures out how or gets a computer worth a crap. :lol:

B

• Like 1

Yeah, I meant to address that briefly, but sorry, I forgot.

You can try an engine flush which might clear some crap out and possibly clear passages/increase oil pressure, but I recall someone else quieting their lifters by going with a lighter oil. Counter intuitive, I know, but it was the case. If those two don't work, then all that is left is replacing the lifters. Thankfully, it isn't too hard...

Exhaust leak? Where? If it is at the manifolds, those are probably broken studs and will need replacing. Plenty of info on that. If it is the Y pipe under the drivers floorboard, fix it right away before it burns a hole and sets the carpet on fire. Again, plenty of info on that here as well. Like I said, address a few weaknesses... :lol:

Meh, Cannon VS Nikon... Once you get to that level it is mainly semantics and preferences; they are both in business making top end stuff for a reason. I'm simply used to Nikon from using lab/inspection equipment over the years where I've never seen a Cannon label, and know what to expect from them. Might as well have a Ford/Chevy or Dodgers/Yankees arguement. :D

Enjoy your next trip and tell your buddy to set the camera to JPEG and NEF simultaneously so he has the raw data to manipulate when he figures out how or gets a computer worth a crap. :lol:

B

i got a jug of engine flush from my old job "jiffylube" ill run that in it tomarrow for while and let it clean it out, its weird because in the morning when i first start it, no tick it all. then get 2 blocks away and there it is haha.

yeah leak is from manifolds on the head so probably need to do the gasket/stud replacement looks like a good thing to do anyway.

gunna make a diy snorkel soon and got a lot of buddys going to elbe hills this weekend and will have more pics/videos this time.

Just to make sure, are you certain the ticking isn't coming fom the lifters but from the leaking manifolds? One of the symptoms is that the ticking starts at warm up/stops when warm or the other way around depending on the warp. The manifolds are close enough to the heads that you might confuse the two if you havn't diagnosed it under the hood/inside the wheel well. I don't know what you have done, so sorry if this is obvious. I also recommend getting a cheepo mechanics stethescope, they work wonders to chase down ticks, knocks, etc. A long handled metal rod (screw driver) cupped to you ear can help but it isn't the same...

B

went out to a place called bevers pond and to elbe hills and the pathy took some beating but came out on top, at the end of the day i was the one helping/towing the toyotas and jeeps out, we were all amazed at what these things can do. ill post pics tonight.

also (NOTE) the pics are from 3 different photographers hence the different qualitys

they were trying for like 30 minutes to put a front wheel up on that boulder

IMG_93553798935029_zps89d62f5f.jpeg

and i said i doubt it but lemme see if the pathy will climb up that and they were like i donno man lol.

IMG_90689095760280_zps2e975968.jpeg

at the end of the day the most damage i got was this

20131020_161225_zps1428f71e.jpg

Well it was pretty..... :lol: Now it's got two(?) dented rockers. :happy: All in good fun!

yeah sadly the rockers did get dented, what sucks is i bought rock sliders but diddnt have time to weld them on so oh well.

now im just having trouble finding one locking hub, might have to buy a whole set which is spendy

thanks man, and yeah its nice to have a good photographer out there.

i got new hubs today and welded on rock sliders just need to get some JGC springs and trying another orv place this weekend and will have more pics up!