inner frame rust

stabworthy

Fortunately I live in a salt and winter free area. The only I have fix is some floorboard rot. Yet I have notice rust flake-chucks inside my frame rails. It bothers me. What can I do besides, open a window \in the frame rails? Once its out , best way to water forge proof it? Im ok with unbolting , bot so much cutting.

flakes/piles of rust inside your frame will retain water and promote more rust. If possible. get it out either through a hole where it rusted through or perhaps get creative with a long narrow metal rod and a shop vac. I had the luxury of having my frame split wide open before I fixed it. Once you get as much of the rust out as you can, I would spray stuff in through every hole at every angle that you can. I used el-cheapo rubberized undercoating spray. I had often throught about filling the frame with "great stuff" from Home Depot or Lowes but I'm sure there would be some bad side effect that I didn't think about (or it would be done at the factory)

I had often throught about filling the frame with "great stuff" from Home Depot or Lowes but I'm sure there would be some bad side effect that I didn't think about (or it would be done at the factory)

i had the same thought , it may add some buoyancy, :laugh: but i figured my luck it would somehow do some stupid and impossible like build pressure and pop a weaken weld.

i wanted to find a way to get a chimney brush or better yet run a dent cleaner hose thru there. then macgyver spraying system for rust eater and undercoat .

Could you post some photos up to show us how bad it is?

4054723910_7dc0f96d3c_o.jpg

JUST KIDDING !!!!!!

under the driver

IMAG0112_zps5293bfcc.jpg?t=1381761875

alil before the upward of the rear axle

IMAG0114_zpsdfe9c38a.jpg?t=1381761894

it may be photo worthy.lol i just see it in the small holes of the frame, . it not a "problem". its one of those things, it just going to worst.

those are the small holes on bottom, i put my pink in the bigger holes on the side and feel around, it feels like the coating on sides are good , maybe the bottom just damaged

^ this.

I enlarged some of the holes on the bottom of my frame slightly. You wouldn't believe the crap that came out after that. Find something that will fit in the frame holes for the pressure washer.

If you remove your rear bumper, you have better access to the inside of the frame rails to hit it with a pressure washer or compressed air. There is still a round crossmember in the way, but you you can spray above an below it, to pretty much peel off any scale that's built up inside.

• 1 month later...

Stabworthy, that rusted out frame pic looked just like my now parts apathy. Yes, mine was that bad. That's why its a parts apathy now. Iuusually take the power washer and blow my frame out every time I wash it. Spring time might be a good time to shoot something inside to help.

Parts apathy :lol:

I'd stay away from the spray foam, it'll just give moisture something to get trapped against and make future welding more difficult. Drilling the holes bigger sounds like a great idea though. I suspect that these rust out partially because the holes are too small and don't let stuff out... when I found the first rust holes in mine, the drain holes below them were fully clogged and holding back a hell of a lot of dirt.

4054723910_7dc0f96d3c_o.jpg

JUST KIDDING !!!!!!

You had me worried! truly cringe-worthy. I admire you trying to keep your frame in such good condition. There should be more owners like you. Drilling slightly larger holes sounds like a very good idea to me. With all the gutterwork I've done in my life, I know it only takes a small leaf to start a clog in an entire gutter drainage system.

When I wash my truck, I always spray the hose in as many holes of the frame as I can reach and spray it 360 degrees in the wellwheels. Haven't tried the pressure washer yet, but I've been fantasizing about it. Kinda scared what might come out though

Yea, since i posted this, i drilled holes in my brother’s mx5's rocker panel. You could hear the water.

Enlarging holes and flushing it out, is on the list , but no rush cuz its sitting in the driveway with the trans hanging out and timing belt dying.

What do "yous guys" suggest to apply a good coating to the inside?

im glad you liked my joke. being in south(ish) Texas, road salt is a rare thing and the only other time it has encountered salt is the beach , twice in 7 years. i see more body rot then frame body. i had a friend come down from Minnesota in his 2003 f 250 super duty , frame rails DESTORYED , have no clue how he got it down here.

• 4 weeks later...

The problem, I'm told, is that if you get ANY rust going inside the frame, you will have a channel for water to seep in and no way for it to dry out if there is expansion foam in it. Not sure I agree but mine is way too far gone to worry about it.