2002 SE Towing capabilities (what have you towed?)

KTempleton

Hey guys, I've been gone for a while caught up in penny pinch mode, starting new job, and working on restoring an old ski boat and haven't been able to do much to my Pathy. I've had it about a year now and am super impressed with it's STOCK capabilities. Coming from a Tacoma with fancy suspension and 32's, this thing does just as much if not more.

I've got a list of stuff I want to do to my Pathy but before I get into all of that stuff, I came across another issue before I start to tinker with it.

When I got the boat I had the Tacoma and had towed all kinds of stuff with that. Before I start my camping trips and road trips pulling this thing around I was curious what you have pulled with yours and how it worked out. Should I look into some upgrades to take the stress off the Pathy. Not a huge boat but I know it was recommended putting extra cooling extras on the Toyota's

Anyways it's good to be back and now that the boat is done I'm ready to get to work on my Pathy.

You should be able to pull that boat without any issues. I let my brother borrow my Pathy to pull his '66 Chrysler (yes, I said "Chrysler") boat that appears to have been similar in size. We are in a hilly area and it pulled like a champ.

1600 lb trailer, heavy on the tongue. Pull this nearly daily from 50miles to 300+ miles.

*Note, does not sag as much now with the IronMan springs in the rear, plus tows and tracks much better.

IMG_20130510_144631.jpg

I've pulled a 1700lb fully loaded popup trailer up/down the Rockies every 4 weeks or so this summer. I live at 5800 ft and have pulled it up/over a couple 10000+ ft passes. It definitely bogs down and kicks to lower gears fast with 33" tires and my stock 4.3 gears, but she still gets the job done.

If I lived a sea level, had stock diameter tires, and my tow package I don't think I'd worry unless I got well over 2500lb...even then, I'd probably be most concerned with stopping (trailer brakes help me right now).

Good deal. It's def stronger than my Yota was. Being sea level and flat helps too. Biggest climbs here are up and over the Houston ship channel bridge just under 200ft.

Good deal. It's def stronger than my Yota was. Being sea level and flat helps too. Biggest climbs here are up and over the Houston ship channel bridge just under 200ft.

Your golden. No worries.

Oh, Install a Transmission Cooler!

This is the one that I run, works awesome. Click Me --> Hayden 689

Yes, a transmission cooler is highly recommended even if you don't tow. That Hayden one is rated for 30k GVW, highest I've seen at a reasonable price. I have a B&M 70268 and it's 19k GVW; a B&M 70264 is thicker but otherwise has the same dimensions and is rated for 24k GVW. I'll probably upgrade to that Hayden unit eventually just for the hell of it, haha.

2000 QX4 here with the smaller 3.3L motor.

We tow a Coleman Concord (1,200lbs) regularly on 2,000 mile trips without issues.

We do run an external trans cooler.

100_0987.jpg

2 weekends ago the Q did a fine job rescuing this classic '74 Cherk out of NM.

Saddleback_zps3e9caa70.jpg

That's a flat tow of 4,600lbs thru very hilly southern NM.

Wouldn't recommend doing that regularly but it got the job done.

I haven't towed much with mine, but I've had it loaded down on a trip around UT, WY, and ID from SoCal- it does just fine so long as you keep it up in the powerband. I had a rooftop cargo carrier, and again, lots of luggage etc in 115*F with no trouble. Same goes for a trip up the coast to Eureka- 1k miles and had no trouble doing 85 with a motorcycle on a rack on the trailer hitch.

Stock pathies are rated to 5k, just make sure you have the right hitch (mine is a Draw-Tite Class IV) and you ought to be ok.

Edited by Karmann

Are you manual or auto trans? Did I miss that somewhere?

Iirc manual trans only has 3500lbs towing capacity. Auto has 5000lb

I tow a 4200lb rv with my 3.3l xterra on 33's and it struggles of the hills, but is fine other than that.