WA State Specific, Buying a Vehicle with a Lost Title

RedRider3141

Hey fellow Washington residents, I'm looking into buying a project car from a family member and the title was "mis-filed" and is now lost. Since I'm working with someone I trust how would you go about securing the title and transferring ownership?

While I've seen "lost title" before on craigslist before, i have personally never had to go through it.

I presume you can just head over to the DMV and go through the process of getting a new one made, what that entails, i have no idea.

Check out the website,

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/replacetitle.html

BOOM, just searched lost title,

Hope this answers your question.

-Kyle

Basically what they do when you file for a title without prior registration/title is they attempt to contact the last known owner and if no response, you get one. Best bet is to go in to the DMV with the last known owner (since I presume you know them) and they can just do it right then and there and get you registration for it and 4-6 weeks for a title.

• 8 months later...

Just to follow up on this... I had a cooperative seller and was able to work everything out and get a new title in the end. Hardest thing about it was getting a bill of sale notarized because he sold me the car for what the junkyard offered him.

Thanks for the help!