'97 Terry & '99 QX4 HID Headlight swap. Electronic Schematic Wiring Diagrams locating help

Normanio

Hello All. New to the forum and look forward to more posts in the future. I joined because I purchased a '99 Infiniti QX4 (R50) and maintaining machines, you need guidance at times.

I searched for a long time for a set of legitimate HiD lights for this vehicle. I didn't want some backyard-boogy piece that was unsafe and faulty.

After a while, I searched and snagged a pair of 97 Terrano headlights that are complete with clear corner lights and mod switch for the level of light adjustment. I am in need of sourcing some oem electronic repair manuals or schematics for both the Terrano, and the Qx4, to get these installed.

If anybody could help me out please? Also how to load pics? (wanted to include a snap of the set) I want to try and do a write up on this modification as well if all is well . Im anxious to see how it turns out. Thanks everyone

Did you already receive the new headlamps? I don't think that the '97 Terrano HID headlamps will fit in the '99 QX4 openings without also replacing other front-end parts such as the grille.

To load pics, go visit flickr.com or another place that offers free online photo storage. Then, cut and paste the photo's URL into your message to display it inline here.

The headlamps are relatively easy to wire. The aiming switch is little more complicated, though.

Click this to view a previous thread about installing JDM HID headlamps in a Pathfinder.

Yes, I already purchased the lights. I wasn't aware of the earlier model having fitment issues. Would you have links to that information please? Ill research your provided info, Thank you.

Bump. Any info on what exact Grill I would need to fit the '97 Terry lights XPLOR4X4? Researching parts and can't really know anything from looking at just a diagram. I am looking to have these on with an OE look.

In my swap I have 1997 Terrano HiD lights and corners GOING TO 1999 Infiniti QX4

If anyone can let me know about key things to beware of, ie 97 Terrano Light Housings Won't fit Stock Grill of Bumper, Please lend me a hand in this swap and let me know. I also need to know where I can purchase the needed parts I hope to have this swap complete by two weeks time. Thanks fellow Nissan Owners...

-Norman

The fitment issues are due to the fact that the 1997 Pathfinder and the 1999 QX4 having slightly different front ends, namely the grille (~$80 at rockauto,com), a metal trim piece below the grille called the bumper filler (~$13 at rockauto,com), headlights, and it seems, even the hood ($183 at rockauto.com). For the best fitment, you might also need to replace the lower bumper cover as well. Since you bought 97 Pathfinder (Terrano) headlamps, you need to be searching for 1997 Pathfinder body parts (though 96-98 model years are basically the same).

Compare these images:

1999 QX4 front

16416587.jpg

1997 Pathfinder front

5120570007_large.jpg

Your headlight retrofit project may end up being much more complicated than you bargained for. Sorry I can't give more advice, since I've never tried to install body parts from a dissimilar brand/model year onto my rig.

Edited by XPLORx4

You are absolutely right about bargaining the work involved xplor4x4. Ive been thinking about this and if my assumptions are correct, Replacing the grille off of my '99QX4, with a grille from a '97 Pathy will change the border outline of headlight that the grille will accept (my '97 Terry lights). Im wondering if the grille mounting spots/hardware are the same. I need the links to the '97Nissan Pathfinder Manual to research into the project more. Can anyone be kind and give me a boost with the manual links please, Id much appreciate it. Also, I still cant figure out how to attach .jpg or other files for pics, any guidance? Thanks

maybe it's just me, it looks like the grill on the qx4 bulges out and the pathy is flush. I think the bumper will look weird. you will also have a nissan logo in front and infiniti in back.

I already did the swap between a qx4 and pathy at the junkyard to solve this question for myself some time ago. Fenders are intchangeable. The hood, grill and head lamps are completely different. You'll need the hood, grill and lower metal trim under the grill to make it work. But FYI I know a shop that has a pair of terrano r3r projectors for sale. The qx4 style Jdm projector. If intrested let me know.

FYI I know a shop that has a pair of terrano r3r projectors for sale. The qx4 style Jdm projector. If intrested let me know.

I would recommend doing this, and trying to sell the Pathfinder JDM HID lamps.

Thanks everyone for the guidance. I lucked out and the seller of the R50 lights was able to source working, R20 lights. My guy is in Japan and, he said the R20's are getting even more rare now all over Japan. He pretty much called all of his connects there with "unavailable" at most. There is a mounting hole on each light that is broken off. It is a plastic eyehole piece that I will post a picture at my next free time of posting. Im reassured that they will be in working order and if not to my satisfaction, I can get a full refund. Ill post what happens with the R20 lights shortly...

I think you're right XPLOR4X4. Would you have a link to a possible writeup on the headlight swap to an R20? ('99QX4) Let me know if you can help out, I'm waiting on merchandise now. Thanks

I do not know of anyone who's replaced their halogen early-model QX4 headlamps with Xenon projector headlamps, but I'm guessing that the procedure can't be too much different than what was used for the Pathfinder. You'll probably need to remove the grille in order to pull out the headlamps. There may be some sheetmetal trimming involved. And of course, you'll need to wire them up. All that stuff is pretty similar to the Pathfinder write-up linked to earlier in this thread.