Light Bulbs,Off-Road Lights,Headlights, What are you using on your R50?

borninabarn

pattersin, on 27 Sept 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

What's the consensus on jamming HID's in the factory fogs? I'm leaving this way but is it worth the extra work?

Awesome tent jhvaron! I've been looking at the Tepui Autana which looks similar to yours. Who makes that one?

Pattersin:

I bought it second hand. this one was made in Europe, Poland of I´m not mistaken. The folks that I bought it from finish a world tour here in Colombia and sold my all the camping equipment.

I personal don´t like HID light. on the wet road they don't light to well. I´m looking forward to change all my lighting to LED light. they light much better then normal light and the battery consumption is WEY lower.

null_zps55474933.jpg

4"x3" clear lense corolla headlights, 3k bixenon hid kit, two hella 500s. I have two blazer fogs but not wired up right now. Think I'm going to pick up two more hella 500s and convert all my fogs to 3k hids.

null_zps55474933.jpg

4"x3" clear lense corolla headlights, 3k bixenon hid kit, two hella 500s. I have two blazer fogs but not wired up right now. Think I'm going to pick up two more hella 500s and convert all my fogs to 3k hids.

Wow that Pathfinder looks like a Monster with those headlights looking at you!Cool!

null_zps55474933.jpg

I personal don´t like HID light. on the wet road they don't light to well. I´m looking forward to change all my lighting to LED light. they light much better then normal light and the battery consumption is WEY lower.

I hear ya! But if I'm not mistaken, I think HIDs draw less than an incandescent/ halogen counterpart?

Hids work fine if you use the right temp (color) under 5000k anything over is useless in the wet . Under 5000k is in the white to yellow spectrum the lower you go 3000k being quite yellow and 4300k being white.

I used to use the common 6300 to 6500k and found in the wet it was like using a candle useless so swapped to 4500k, which is almost as white as led if you can get 4300k grab them as they are generally spot on to led color temp and excellent.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Where have you guys found the best prices on the LED lights??

Fleabay for Chinese knock off light bars, although most of the "name brand" light bars are made in China anyway, probably by the same factory :laugh:

I have 2 Ironman 16w spots on my front bar & they're really good, the 120w light bar on my roof is a knock off but it's well built & works great.

Hids work fine if you use the right temp (color) under 5000k anything over is useless in the wet . Under 5000k is in the white to yellow spectrum the lower you go 3000k being quite yellow and 4300k being white.

I used to use the common 6300 to 6500k and found in the wet it was like using a candle useless so swapped to 4500k, which is almost as white as led if you can get 4300k grab them as they are generally spot on to led color temp and excellent.

I have the 6500k's & you are correct sir..... @!*%e in the wet. I'll get the 4500k's next time.

Swapped my KCs for a 24" LED bar, more usable light...I don't need to see 500ys down the road.

securedownload.jpg

That looks exactly like my 24" led bar, did you get it off Fleabay?

Where did you get that light bar? Brand?Part #s? You have any night pics with only the LED Bar on from your driving position? I would like to see how they light up everything.Thanks,Born

Swapped my KCs for a 24" LED bar, more usable light...I don't need to see 500ys down the road.

securedownload.jpg

Yep, paid $102 on ebay. Video below doesn't do it justice, super bright, camera aperture adjusts but you can get the idea just before it adjusts. Going to do the fog lights next.

th_IMG_8138.jpg

Wow! That's a lot of light for cheap! I'm thinking one on the factory roof rack ought to do the job... thanks!

Headlight: 35W 8000K HID with Hi/lo beam - Hi beam and DRL runs on a halogen bulb, low beam runs on the HID. Its like having two bulbs fused into one. The hi beam is dimmer than the lo beam, but I like having a functional DRL.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZF3OZO/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Aftermarket fogs: 5" Pro Comp spotlight (40 bucks a pair) with 85W PIAA Ion yellow fog bulbs (spot beam). The HID in a stock headlight halogen housing is terrible in the rain. Its actually worse than having a halogen light itself.

Also, PIAA 520 fog light with 85W PIAA bulbs as well (fog beam).

IMG_6621_zpsefff725a.jpg

HID headlight and spot beam
IMG_6692_zpscdec342b.jpg

HID headlight, spot beam and fogs
IMG_7194_zpse875c1b2.jpg

Edited by dududuckling

• 1 month later...

How are you guys aiming your Off Road lights? I used to use a garage door but not to sure how far back to be and at what height on the door is right? I have 4300K HID Headlights and my 7" 700FF Hellas that I converted to HID on my brush guard now and I have gone out on the blacktop at night to adjust but there is so much light which I wanted but checking to see how you all aimed yours? to the sides ,higher or lower than the other lights etc..

I have my floods pointed down and outwards, basically so I can see curbs and rocks directly in front of me. My Dually spots are pointed straight out and pretty in-board so as to have the straight-ahead distance I need. I aimed them by trial and error at an empty school near my house hahaha

One of the quickest and easiest ways to aim long-range lights is to align them with your highbeams. Then you get a nice spread and distance at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I need some help, with a light question. I just bought a pair of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039H9LDS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and im wondering if i can just mount them to my factory luggage rack. Would that be possible or do i need to buy/make a light bar to mount these too?