Windows Seizing

edta1

In cold weather, my power windows tend to seize a lot. As it gets colder, the window moves slower and slower. It has been pretty cold where I am and now the power windows don't work at all. I've been fighting this problem for since I got this Pathfinder. I've driving other cars in the past and they don't seize this badly. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to minimize this problem? Please advise. Thanks.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my windows move very slowly, and may not close on thier own, in cold temps. By cold, I mean single digits or below. I need to stop the truck, open the door and help the window up by sandwiching it between my hands. It's no problem at all if it's warm (like above 10 degrees)

Not sure if lube would solve that problem, I've never disassembled it. I suspect it would require cleaning the old, gummy grease out of the mechanism and putting in a lighter grease.

m.

HHmmm...Yea, that's what the dealer said. I took it there last year. And they said they had to clean out the gummy grease. Lighter grease you say? LIke what? All I have is disc/bearing grease at home. Can you recommend some for us?

I'm sure this is a decent off road car .. but the cold wx aspects of it are a little odd.

I have the window go-slow issue as well and it's 'only' in the high teens. I really don't want to take the door apart. Easier to move to Florida I think.

Another cold aspect is my tranny (manual). The whine coming from that thing and the sluggish aspect of the stick when the temp gets below 30 or so at night is odd if not a little scary. Probably will wander back to dealer for the 'whine.' The car's not mine.

I don't have a suggestion for lighter grease - and in hindsight that may be problematic if it liquifies in summer temps. I don't know why the Pathy power windows are sluggish in cold temps - my Subaru's don't react that way. It may not be just grease, perhaps the rubber seals get stiffer in colder temps and affect it somehow - just a thought.

As for the sluggish feeling of the shifter - that is normal, and is simply temp dependent. Both the Suby and Pathy feel the same in that area on cold days. It warms up just fine.

We're about 10 miles north of Bangor, Maine, which had the record for coldest low temp one day last week at -26. Our cars are both outside (no garage) and not on block heaters, so they were also -26. Both started fine (slower than usual, but fired up) and drove fine, but that first time depressing the clutch and checking the shifter to insure it's in neutral feels like some extremely thick goop, and that is normal. It gets so cold the clutch pedal returns very slowly, on spring tension alone I think.

But, - tkpath - the whine you mention isn't particularly normal or weather dependent - that points to a bearing starting to go. One suspect, anyway, would be a tranny bearing. There are also reports of a whine coming from the rear diff, but I haven't experienced that.

My pathy has spent every winter outside, in very cold temps, and the only winter complaint I have is the power windows being slow or sticky to come back up. That's a minor issue considering how unbelievably reliable it is, and how well it handles snow and ice, and how fast the heater warms up - considering all the other issues that arise among my friends and colleauges cars, the Pathy is a proven winner.

Herm (and all) .. I agree, don't think it's a grease issue .. design error if nothing else.

Shifter .. I can live with it. Just seems a little too prone given I did not think it was all that cold.

But the whine . you bet, big issue. The dealer supposedly replaced the bearings last month under warranty but the car gained a new vibration while running as well as the 'whining' sound. I told them I'm coming back. Does not look good.

Herm (and all) .. I agree, don't think it's a grease issue .. design error if nothing else.

Shifter .. I can live with it. Just seems a little too prone given I did not think it was all that cold.

But the whine . you bet, big issue. The dealer supposedly replaced the bearings last month under warranty but the car gained a new vibration while running as well as the 'whining' sound. I told them I'm coming back. Does not look good.

Yup, It sounds like a design issue to me too. Like Herm said, the seals probably get stiff in the cold. Well that bites....I guess we'll just have to live with this problem then :shrug: ...unless there is a way to replace the seals with aftermarket...ideas and suggestions?

It’s kind of weird that it is only the driver’s side window, well at least on my PF. Next time I change my oil (in about 1500 miles) I’ll take the door apart an let everyone know what find and if I fixed it. -study-

Edited by Trialsin26

Ok you don't have to take your doors apart there is a spray you can get from your dealership that you spray down beside your window this cleans the track.

That is all. No need to dismantle anything these get dirty & just needs the spray cleaning.

So far both winters since we had the Pathy this has happened, just spray & your all SET. :D

Sucks when your at TIM HORTONS drive through -30c and your window won't roll up until you ge home. Cold drive..

:beer:

Spray?

That's it? A simple, anyone can do, inexpensive repair to a 10,000 part machine?

What about all of our tools? Our epoxy-floored garage? Our weekends' with no football? Our top dog status? What are we going to do with all of that??

No way man! I'm ripping the doors off, missing the special night out with the wife, smashing my fingers, scaring the dog, leaving grease stains on every glass, plate, bowl and portable phone I leave stacked on the roof of the Pathy .. because I want everyone to be happy, dammit.

Because only we know, it ain't that simple.

Ok you don't have to take your doors apart there is a spray you can get from your dealership that you spray down beside your window this cleans the track.

That is all. No need to dismantle anything these get dirty & just needs the spray cleaning.

So far both winters since we had the Pathy this has happened, just spray & your all SET. :D

Sucks when your at TIM HORTONS drive through -30c and your window won't roll up until you ge home. Cold drive..

What is this magic spray called?

Yea it gets pretty annoying that everytime I go through a drive-thru window I open my door and not my driver side window. :wacko:

You Canadians got all the cold weather tricks figured out! What is this secret spray?

Although I like tkpaths reply - I mean, c'mon, a spray? This is fixing a complicated, mechanical door on an over-engineered truck.... not cleaning the shower...!

Calmage Boys :hide:

The spray is called Silicone Spray has a 6" Nozzle I'm picking up a can later this week. I will take a Pic and post it.

This spray cleans and lubricates your door tracks.

Yes it is that easy. Didn't beleive it until they showed me.

Remember I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM :eek:

If you still want to rip everything apart Go AHEAD!

I'm telling you guys the fix and you don't beleive it :wacko:

Whatever have fun ripping that door apart :lol:

Anyone have a part number on this spray? My sisters PF does this and I tried EVERYTHING to fix it. I even bought a new seal (waste of $100) that goes around the window. The door has been apart about 5 times now. If I can fix it with a spray can I will be extremely happy and angry at the same time!

Just any silicone spray will work? Or does it have to say "anti-window-seizing-miracle-spray" :D ? Man...and here I thought I was going to have to replace the window seals on my pathy too. PHEW.... :aok:

Thanks in advance.

Edited by edta1

Guest girlpath

I just called the dealer about this window sticking issue. They said it would cost me $85 per window to take it apart and troubleshoot. If it's just a lube job, there would be no additional cost...

I'll try the spray first. Thanks for the hint!!

For the newbie...would someone please tell me exactly where and how to apply this spray? I'm sure it would be awful to get on the windows.

Just ask your dealers what spray they use and buy it ;) Then your not guessing as to what to use.

This spray is 2 things 1.)-a cleaner 2.)-a lubricant.

Make sure you get it in there spray plentiful this cleans your TRACKS where the guck seems to get stuck into. Asked the dealer and they said they have never had to replace the tracks or anything internal in the door, on any of the Pathy's they see. And apparently they see this allot. Seems to start happening when temp starts to dip -14 and colder.

Just spray and all works the hose from the can should be placed in the door tracks with the window down.

I'll try and post a pic on Friday :) As I have to go in to the dealer to get some minor warr. work done and have to pick up some Miracle Spray sly

Edited by Runnerman

I just came from the dealership and the only can they had just said lubricant on it and was $14. I didn't buy it because the parts guy said the shop area buys their own stuff and may use something different. Runnerman, do you have a picture or exact name of the stuff? Thanks!