HELP Rear Brake Light stuck ON ABS Dash light also ON

Stifun

My Rear Brake Lights remain ON even when I take the Key's out.

Also my ABS dash is also on Help what is going On.

Checked the fuses and they are fine not blown at all.

Thanks

Your brake light switch's rubber bumper disintegrated. You'll probably find it on the floor mat somewhere. You need a new one, buy one from the dealer.

Perform preliminary inspection and run the ABS self-diagnosis following the instructions on page BR-34 of the factory service manual.

Have you ever flushed the brake fluid?

looks like a lifesaver, depending on howold it is may be light a light beige color, the new one's I bought from Nissan were a florescent green color. The bumper is also found on the clutch pedal and two on the brake pedal one for the cruise control one for the brake lights.

But mine is an Auto and is it located behind the brake pedal just trying to figure it out.

So is this rubber thing easy to change out or is it something a mechanic has to do.

Thanks

Towncivilian

Could you maybe find a diagram on how to change out or maybe a more specific description.

Sorry not very mechanically inclined but want to try and fix this myself.

Thanks

Look at page BR-6 of the factory service manual. At the stop lamp switch, there is supposed to be a small rubber bumper. There is a small hole the bumper will just snap in to, the bumper has a groove. All you have to do is push it in.

The rubber bumper will look something like the one found on this page, but as ahardb0dy said above it might be black in color.

The cruise cancel switch also uses the same bumper. Check your brake pedal to make sure that one isn't missing one either.

If you still can't find it, I'll take a picture of mine.

Will do thanks for all the help its raining cats and dogs over here as soon as I get a good weather day will check the items you listed and get back with you.

Really appreciate the help to a novice like myself.

The rubber bumper lines up with a switch, so if you look under there and see a push button looking switch and directly across from the push button there is a hole, than that is where the bumper goes, just press it in the hole, takes 2 seconds.

you can kind of see where it goes in this pic:

http://homeandauto.ldsdates.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/brakelightswitch1.JPG

Edited by ahardb0dy

I just took a pic of the rubber stompers that are installed on my 94 pathfinder, I have the phone resting on the brake pedal so you can get an idea of where this is, the metal tube is the steering column, and the black metal piece is the brake pedal lever:

10qgh6t.jpg

I wasn't upside down actually, just leaned on the floor and pressed the brake pedal so the bumpers could be see, I do need to check the left switch, as it doesn't appear there is a nut on the top of it.

Those green bumpers are what Nissan sent me when I ordered them few years ago, don't know what color they are using now, but these seem like they are a better material than the ones that fell out.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the great tutorials and info I just fixed the issue and replaced the Rubber Donuts and I finally have properly working brake lights.

• 1 year later...