New to building a 95 pathy and new member here

Nissanland

Starting to get ready to build up a solid trail rider for great northwest, western Washington.would like any suggestions.on good application's. I've already got s 3 inch lift', kit steering stabilizer,new shocks,12k winch, hi lift jack. Lites, and a ARB style cargo rack on order. Going with new duratrac's but can't decide whether to get 15-31's or 16-32's. I've got the 16 inch rims but like the price and wheels in the 15 inchers. Any ideas to pro con's are much appreciated. Well here's to new friends,advice a good build up. And lots of good dirty fun on the trail. B-)

Definite noted power loss, stated by countless members. Acceptable to some, not to others. YMMV :shrug:

Personally, I'm setting mine up expedition style and went with the 31" to make sure there were no clearance issues (2" body lift, 2+" suspension lift), less steering stress and 'normal' drivibility. Regardless if you go with 31" or 33", I would stay with the 15" rim and the high flotation tires if you plan to go off road. If for no other reason, they would be easier to scrounge in an emergency. I actually ran into that in Baja once... :lol:

B

I was hoping to see a response from you. Your a very wise man when giving out advice. I have been leaning 15/31 due to cost and extra weight savings. By power loss. I mean causing thr engine to bogg down other than changing gears. This will be my off road ride when completed. I have a 04 Nissan Titan nmbr 100 off thr assembly line. We only have 14000 miles on it. Beings we have it payed for don't want to use it for off road when the pathy Will do the job better, especially during hunting season. We will be going through your neck of the country Friday morning to deliver load in bay area. By the way what does iirc mean. I see you use it alot..and what do you mean by expedition set up?

Hey I mite have an extra brace at the house if you are Interested.. I won't. Know until next week when we're taking home time. We ONLY get apx 30 or so days off each year. We drive apx 7000 miles weekly. Or about 350000 a year.

Presice1' Hey I mite have an extra brace at the house if you are Interested.. I won't. Know until next week when we're taking home time. We ONLY get apx 30 or so days off each year. We drive apx 7000 miles weekly. Or about 350000 a year.

• 2 weeks later...

Any ideas about using the space under back seat where I hv a very small bit of rust. I was thinking of cutting it out about the size of 1+1 or that of a small gun safe. Weld in and seal. Then incase bottom in foam. Be good place to store hand gun in back country and lock up valuables. Could also be great spot for a hidden subwoofer??

Ps..I have a cwl for Wa and legal to carry..not a gun nut..

• 3 weeks later...

any updates on this pathfinder? As for the ability to safely tote a gun, just rednedck it out and throw 2 truck window gun racks in the side windas. Might be redneck, but you're in washington and would be the envy of all the redneck truck owners who only have 1 gun rack.

Be great idea for hunting season. BUT might scare the innocent young people seeing a couple rifles or compound bows hanging on the Windows. Maybe if I tint the Windows wouldn't be so scary. LOL

Btw update. New tires being installed next week. I went with the Goodyear duratrac in 265/75r16 or a 32/11.5 I will be trying to get the suspension installed next week time and weather permitting. I will be stripping and restoring the rims that are already on the truck. Along with tune up.

So what changed your mind?

I was hoping to see a response from you. Your a very wise man when giving out advice. I have been leaning 15/31 due to cost and extra weight savings. By power loss. I mean causing thr engine to bogg down other than changing gears. This will be my off road ride when completed. I have a 04 Nissan Titan nmbr 100 off thr assembly line. We only have 14000 miles on it. Beings we have it payed for don't want to use it for off road when the pathy Will do the job better, especially during hunting season. We will be going through your neck of the country Friday morning to deliver load in bay area. By the way what does iirc mean. I see you use it alot..and what do you mean by expedition set up?

Thanks, I try to steer people in what I believe to be the right direction. Yes, it makes sense not to beat up a mint Titan!

IIRC means I'm to lazy to type things out all the time. :lol:

Here is a handy list of acronyms...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/9577-acronyms/

By expedition style, I mean that I'm not trying to make a rock crawler out of it, install a solid axle, jack it up as high as possible or put the largest tires possible on it. I'll be using it for daily driving, camping and general light wheeling and exploring so it needs to be robust and reliable but also easily drivable with good road manners. The kind of truck you wouldn't hesitate to drive a few states, go exploring and then drive home while living out of it. In my version of wheeling, you don't get any points for getting stuck or breaking down. ;)

Here is how it sits now in my garage awaiting rear axle seals/brakes, power inverter, gauge pod and Xterra roof rack. I've been working on my house for years and haven't had the time/energy to get it back on the road, hence all the flack I catch from people with too much time and not enough responsibility. :D

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/24287-precise1s-pathy/page-3?hl=rims

Hey I mite have an extra brace at the house if you are Interested.. I won't. Know until next week when we're taking home time. We ONLY get apx 30 or so days off each year. We drive apx 7000 miles weekly. Or about 350000 a year.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure how I missed this. Thank you, I appreciate the thought, but I have an idler arm brace mounted that I bought from AC (Automotive Customisers)

Any ideas about using the space under back seat where I hv a very small bit of rust. I was thinking of cutting it out about the size of 1+1 or that of a small gun safe. Weld in and seal. Then incase bottom in foam. Be good place to store hand gun in back country and lock up valuables. Could also be great spot for a hidden subwoofer??

Ps..I have a cwl for Wa and legal to carry..not a gun nut..

I believe a few people have had similar thoughts and I believe that there is plenty of room for it. I like the lock box idea and would do it if mine wasn't pristine. Nothing wrong with packing, I always am when I'm in the woods. ;)

B

• Like 1

Thank you. I have to say, we seem to have a similar way of thinking, I don't think one needs to build up to the clouds to get a good ride. If I want to get crazy then I'll go get the quads out. I can respect the hard work you do on the house, its your castle and that takes a lot of time and effort to get it done. My pathfinder is same color as your truck for the time being. Probably am going to match the titans color. I am going to get the duratrac's and same style rims also kinda make twins...but color can always change. ONLY issue I keep running into is time, never enough for me with only 4-5 day's home from work. The rest of the time I'm working 24/7 with the wife driving.maybe when you get your truck done and mine finished we could get a 3-4 day trail rally together with a bunch of the other pathy pals...just a thought..

Agreed! Nothing wrong with those who want to build up like that, I just choose not to on this vehicle. Yeah, I grew up on dirt bikes so 4 wheel drives are mainly for getting to where it is worth riding the bikes. ;)

Yeah, while done is a relative term, I am just finishing a last major project before winter and should have time then to spend in the garage with a wrench, a truck and a beer. I don't mind the comments though, they are just jealous.

A rally sounds like a lot of fun and there are many members up that way. There is usually a run in the fall called the Mr. Jim run to commemorate the founder of the site, so keep your eyes open for when it is discussed. It is often set up so even stock rigs can participate.

(7000 miles a week. Damn!)

B

Yea 7000 gets old though as after 22yrs of keeping the rubber side down. Just got done with blizzard type conditions here in Wyoming. I have a feeling it's not going to be a good winter this year.already ran in the snow 4x and haven't yet got into the hard stuff. But hey we still have a job when so many don't. There is a get together up by my neck of the woods tomorrow that I would have liked to go and start to get to know other's on here. Elbe area is a good place to wheel for new/experience...looking forward to making new friends.

Last night we hit big snow storm up by MT Shasta but we made it thru. we are back home and now have the next 6days off. hopefully I will get some things done with the pathy. I've already started laying all the pieces out and am getting the tires done Thursday(32 inch Duratrac's)....so wish me luck. Once I figure out how to post pictures I will get them up... :laugh::fireworx: yea I finally get to start in on upgrades...lets hope I don't end up like this :suicide: LOL :)

Yea 7000 gets old though as after 22yrs of keeping the rubber side down. But hey we still have a job when so many don't.

Well said, says the one who was laid off last year... :lol:

There good things about being self employed, I tried to do that years back but made the mistake of having a partner. Oh well, live and learn.

Snow storm in Shasta? Not a drop and hardly cloud here, it's not that far away!

Good luck with the mods, don't be shy about asking for input if you get stuck. Most things are documented fairly well though.

As for pictures, you need to upload them to a hosting site like photobucket (free) and then copy the direct address into the picture icon box above the text field once you have clicked on it. Pretty simple once you now the recipe... ;)

B