Is this racism or socio-cultural protection ?

maikan

Well I wanted to see how that was interpretated internationnaly and I see that it is internationnally

controversial.

I get that most of you don't want to talk about it , but we in Qc will have to vote for or against it soon enough

so i wanted your opinion.

Hahah yes! Honestly, coming from a fellow Canadian, Quebec is pushing it, good or bad you deside, they have an argument behind their 'decisions', they are a wannabe rebel, that guy in your class or work force that pushes boarders tells those nasty 'racey' jokes :lol: atlease this is what I'm getting out of this, otherwise I couldn't give a poop, just don't let it effect me lol (I guess now I can't wear my metal satanic pentagram shirt in Quebec... :lol: )

SLAYER!!!! I'm freakin Slaytanic man YES! Loved Seasons in The Abyss when I was 18...Jeez, I still listen to metal but I haven't heard any Slayer in 20 years...Metallica, pantera, Rob / White Zombie KMFDM Ramstein Love it!

• Like 1

Keeping it clean and civil will allow the thread to live longer.

Oh and now's a good time to remind people to review the NPORA Guidlines

:beer:

This, hence it still being open after obvious mod/admin prescience. The opinions and conversing starts to turn to argument, hatred, and bigotry the door will be locked and the key eaten :aok:

In keeping to the OP's context, I'd like to chime in. Let me explain myself first, so my perspective can be quantified.

I am a Christian, unapologetically so. I was raised in a home where we attended church on Sundays, and prayed before meals. However, I rejected that at a young age and chose agnosticism. After practicing that for several years, I came to a place in my life where if there was a God, I needed Him. I sought God, and He was there for me. Through faith in Christ, I have a personal relationship with God, and have for 16 years now. I believe in a moral standard that is based on the nature and character of God - i.e., sin, the necessity of forgiveness for all mankind, etc. That perspective is integral to all that I am, say, and do.

That's enough self-definition; now to my thought on the matter: Canada is not the US, and Quebec is not even like the rest of Canada. Being on the outside, however, I am still aware of how much of a struggle there is for Quebec itself to have its own cultural identity. So, rhetorically, how much of this is about race and religion, and how much of this is about cultural identity? Let me apply a cross-reference to try to bring it out of the religious context for a moment. . .

In the southern United States close to Mexico, there is a unique element of Hispanic culture that is incorporated into the broader "American" culture. I work in construction, and first-hand deal with a broad variety of Hispanics - some that when I attempt to speak Spanish to them, they are offended and respond, "I speak English." There are others that literally refuse to speak English if there is a Spanish-speaker available, even if they can speak marginal English. Culturally, that demonstrates a huge disparity even amongst people of the same race (and usually religion) - some that have embraced "American" culture, and some who seek to hold on to their (usually Mexican) identity. That has led to a broader backlash in the culture - some see this influx of immigrants who refuse to adopt "American" culture as a threat.

My thinking is that that is sort of what is prompting this legislation in Quebec. Quebec itself has long sought to have an identity separate and independent of the larger cultural identity of Canada, and now that Quebec is experiencing a large number of primarily middle-eastern Muslim immigrants, it is seen by some as a threat to "Quebec" culture. I think this legislation could be a knee-jerk reaction to that, in order to "preserve" Quebec culture. Boil everything away, and that's the equivalent of "I'm taking my toys and going home since you guys don't want to play the way I want to play." Take away the fear factor of the fact that they are primarily Muslim as both a religion AND a culture, and it is the same as when the US marginalized the Irish in the mid-19th century, the Chinese in the late 19th Century, the Japanese in the time of World War 2, and on and on and on. I seriously don't think it is about religion at all, I think it is the fear of dilution.

Edited by linewar

Very articulated and very informed comment, thank you.

I tend to think that it is a way to bring voters that aren't used to be around different culture and religion.

cultural chauvinism

There is less than 2% of the employees of the public system concerned by this law.

Your point about cultural dilution is the knot of it, I think.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mrs.Azzo

In keeping to the OP's context, I'd like to chime in. Let me explain myself first, so my perspective can be quantified.

I am a Christian, unapologetically so. I was raised in a home where we attended church on Sundays, and prayed before meals. However, I rejected that at a young age and chose agnosticism. After practicing that for several years, I came to a place in my life where if there was a God, I needed Him. I sought God, and He was there for me. Through faith in Christ, I have a personal relationship with God, and have for 16 years now. I believe in a moral standard that is based on the nature and character of God - i.e., sin, the necessity of forgiveness for all mankind, etc. That perspective is integral to all that I am, say, and do.

That's enough self-definition; now to my thought on the matter: Canada is not the US, and Quebec is not even like the rest of Canada. Being on the outside, however, I am still aware of how much of a struggle there is for Quebec itself to have its own cultural identity. So, rhetorically, how much of this is about race and religion, and how much of this is about cultural identity? Let me apply a cross-reference to try to bring it out of the religious context for a moment. . .

In the southern United States close to Mexico, there is a unique element of Hispanic culture that is incorporated into the broader "American" culture. I work in construction, and first-hand deal with a broad variety of Hispanics - some that when I attempt to speak Spanish to them, they are offended and respond, "I speak English." There are others that literally refuse to speak English if there is a Spanish-speaker available, even if they can speak marginal English. Culturally, that demonstrates a huge disparity even amongst people of the same race (and usually religion) - some that have embraced "American" culture, and some who seek to hold on to their (usually Mexican) identity. That has led to a broader backlash in the culture - some see this influx of immigrants who refuse to adopt "American" culture as a threat.

My thinking is that that is sort of what is prompting this legislation in Quebec. Quebec itself has long sought to have an identity separate and independent of the larger cultural identity of Canada, and now that Quebec is experiencing a large number of primarily middle-eastern Muslim immigrants, it is seen by some as a threat to "Quebec" culture. I think this legislation could be a knee-jerk reaction to that, in order to "preserve" Quebec culture. Boil everything away, and that's the equivalent of "I'm taking my toys and going home since you guys don't want to play the way I want to play." Take away the fear factor of the fact that they are primarily Muslim as both a religion AND a culture, and it is the same as when the US marginalized the Irish in the mid-19th century, the Chinese in the late 19th Century, the Japanese in the time of World War 2, and on and on and on. I seriously don't think it is about religion at all, I think it is the fear of dilution.

Good point D.