new starter and still not working right sometimes lol

pittmanjustin

i just replaced my starter on 95 pathy 4x4 auto cause the old one clicked forever then the housing broke and it fell off i went bought new starter from autozone cause oreilly was out of stock and few days later its clicking again but it wlll eventualy start and when it does it doesnt drag at all i replaced the wires too due to them ripping when the old one fell off. did i just get a crappy starter or is it my pathy causing it thanks for any help starter does have lifetime warranty but its not fun replacng lol

How are the battery terminals? tight? clean? Can you check the voltage at the battery before you try to start it, than check the voltage while it is cranking, If the starter is clicking some times and other times it doesn't and starts right up sounds like a bad connection or possibly a weak starter relay. I would take another relay the same shape and color and swap it with the starter relay and see if it still does what you are saying.

Edited by ahardb0dy

Download the FSM from here, it's free it comes in handy trust me:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/1995_Pathfinder/

open each section, click save and put each section in a folder

Should be on the pass. side behind the battery 3rd one back, blue I think, screwed into the inner fender

Are the battery terminals clean? any signs of corrosion where the battery cable meets the terminals?

stll couldnt fimd the relay the motor and tranny was bought new and was put in by people like us lol there are wires umhooked everwhere but everything works can connect a wire to the solenoid and touch it to the battery and it turns everytime

You can do the starter relay mod if you want, is the PF an automatic? if so I believe there are 2 relays one is like a safety interlock, anyway, the stock wiring requires power to go from the ignition switch to the relay on the drivers side than to the starter relay on the pass side and than down to the starter solenoid, the starter relay mod takes power directly from the battery to the starter solenoid, and uses the wire that was going to the solenoid to just trigger the relay.

yeah its auto and t dont change when wiggle the ignition. t has just been replaced sometimes it will start if i mash the brake so im thinkng interlock relay and starter relay or just put a push button on it would be simple someone has already had a switch right there where u would put a push start at but it has 255000 miles runs great its just my fishing n around town truck i have a titan for long trips but its 2wd and horribble gas mileage

it will start if i mash the brake so im thinkng interlock relay and starter relay

Based on this I would surmise there is an issue with the shifter or shifter linkage is out of adjustment. The transmission shifter is not fully in P sos the truck thinks it is in R the vehicle in R and will not start without the brake pedal pressed down.

There is also a bushing the shift lock solenoid in the shifter that the solenoid bumps against that may be worn out.