E-AT button... What is this?

Guest mikey4x4

Guest mikey4x4

I just bought a 95 Pathfinder. There is a button on the dash, left of the steering wheel that is labled E-AT. And above and below the button it says auto and power. A buddie of mine said it had something to do with engine performance.... Does anyone know what this is?

Mikey

The following has been totally stolen from 88pathoffroad:

The Power button changes the way the auto transmission shifts. When the switch is off, it shifts normally. If you hadn't noticed, when you mash the gas quickly sometimes the light will come on. That means that the microswitch on the gas pedal is triggering Power mode in the transmission computer, which modifies the shift points (it will downshift faster and upshift at higher RPM's) and revs the engine a bit higher than it normally would for better acceleration. When the Power switch is turned on, it will be in Power mode fulltime until you turn the switch off.

hope this helps.. By the way, "power mode" is not nice on the gas milage either.

It's basically a "power-on-demand" button. That switch is dangerous... never leave it on. It takes the RPM's to redline every shift and you don't really need it unless you're trying to get from Point A to Point B in the least amount of time possible.

I generaly leave my "at" switch in economy mode this mode really suits a diesel engine that doesnt really like revs,, exceptions are if iam towing, or doing lots of stop starts around town mainly to take off in 1st gear. Economy doesnt use 1st gear but starts off in 2nd in my Terrano i take it Pathfinders are the same ??

Greenbushy