MT rebuild?

MrT

So I have 178k on my 96 with an MT and lately it's been sounding a little like rough, not grinding but kind of like Chewbacca in all gears but 4th. Time for a rebuild? How much should I expect to pay if this is the case?

Ive never heard the noise but that sounds exactly like what happens to WD21's if you don't overfill the trans with gear oil. I guess checking the fluid and topping it off or changing it might buy you some time. Personally dont have any answers on cost for rebuild or anything sorry

Beergarage.com has a write up on rebuilding one, its a 2WD but same concept, just separate it from the transfer case. He didn't really have any special tools either. He's a big DIY guy.

I actually have that bookmarked, pretty useful stuff. Here it is

I bet someone ran GL-5 instead of the proper GL-4 oil in it.

You'd have lost money then. It's had MT90 in it since I got it 80k miles ago. And I have serious doubts it was ever changed before that.

It also has been a little more quiet since I "topped it off" but still a little noisy.

Edited by MrT

• 2 weeks later...

l everything ran me a couple grand.

Key-rist.

My thoughts exactly. At that price it might be worth getting a transmission jack, doing the clutch myself and taking the trans to be rebuilt

My thoughts exactly. At that price it might be worth getting a transmission jack, doing the clutch myself and taking the trans to be rebuilt

Or a transmission jack adapter for a floor jack if you're on a tight budget.