Rain leaking onto wiring harness(es)

tdauria

Has anyone experienced water leaking from outside dripping down the bottom edges of the dash on the far right and left sides?

We just got hit with a little downpour and when i went to get something from the pathy i saw there was water pooled near the door sills where the wiring harnesses sit on both sides of the truck (i dont have the front carpet in at the moment)

I tried to find the origin of the leak but it's still pouring and after a few mins sitting upside down in the passenger seat everything was wet from the door being open or me poking around..

Gonna pop the hood when it stops and look for wet spots on the firewall then i guess tear apart the dash.

Any ideas/hunches as to where my problem might be could save me a bunch of headache lol

What happens to the water that goes in through the hood vents??? I bet there is a passive drain in there somewhere. Maybe someone else knows for sure, if not I would wait for a dry day and start hitting suspect areas with a hose and see if you can duplicate the problem. Open the hatch behind your glove compartment where your heater resistors are and see if it is full of wet leaves and such. Windshield seal? I would say door seals maybe but it is on the dash not the doors. Hmmm. Keep us posted!

Damn no, you're definitely right. For some reason I couldnt picture a drip path that would make sense. PO silicone'd the top windshield seal in place of an oem seal and it's rusting through a bit -__-

Talk about saving me a ton of work.. Thanks!

As for the water going into the cowl vents, I think that it goes out through somewhere in the wheel well... (And I'm convinced over time this is one cause of fenders rusting through)

I'll definitely check by the heater or blower resistors or whatever they are, been meaning to get around to that anyway but lacked the motivation

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to addressing the top windshield seal. Did some sanding painting and special flowing silicone, then laid a bead of some 3m windshield sealer in place of the oem gasket thing.

First car wash tests looking good, much less leakage and I think the remaining leak is a broken silicone seal from my roof rack install!

I'm actually pretty excited to have a mostly leak free truck now, lol

I'm sorry to say, but if you didn't pull the windshield to fix a leak up there, if there is rust, it will get worse under the seal and silicone. I know it sounds like a pain in the but and expensive (its not actually) but it is the only way to do it right.

I'm sorry to say, but if you didn't pull the windshield to fix a leak up there, if there is rust, it will get worse under the seal and silicone. I know it sounds like a pain in the but and expensive (its not actually) but it is the only way to do it right.

Do you have any recommendations for where I should bring it or how to go about doing it myself?

I did apply a couple coats of chassis saver into or onto everything I could, hopefully that will be enough to slow the rust until I do get around to doing a full repair or until it comes time to move onto a new truck

And ahardb0dy if sealing up the roof rack doesn't stop the leak I'll be sure to check on that. Temporarily at a standstill on all repairs, gashed up my hand pretty bad recently and waiting for the stitches to come out haha

can you see where the water is coming from? This is a pic I took under the dash on mine when it was leaking:

30mb8zn.jpg

Is the water coming in near this main harness in the pic above?

I used black silicone around the sides and bottom of my windshield

Edited by ahardb0dy

Can't really tell where that is, but when I went looking for it I found the hood release cable grommet was no longer in place. Black silicone in there and SO FAR it looks to be good enough for me! *crosses fingers*